Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #RaceRoundTheWorld thoughts?

Thanks

#RaceRoundTheWorld thoughts?

What does everyone think of this fund raising scheme recently announced?

I am personally not sure and do not understand where the money will go to. It states 20% will be retained by the group for money raised by your young people. However, what about the rest of the 80%? Will it go towards the '500' struggling Groups or directly to Scouting HQ? How will it be allocated? What is to stop us joining this scheme but young people send their donations directly to our scout group to keep? I have no problem supporting other
    struggling scouting groups at risk, but they need to be clear and open!

Also, it seems very short notice to let us know about this as it starts tomorrow..... Its half term and most scouting groups I know have a much deserved break, plus we need to consider as a group whether we wish to do this???

Here is the letter I received

Hi xxxxx,

Through an internal survey, we found out that over 500 Scout Groups are struggling to make ends meet and are at risk of closing due to COVID-19. We want to make sure that young people don’t miss out on all the life-changing skills and experiences being a Scout can bring, precisely when they need us most. That’s why we’re going on a sponsored #RaceRoundTheWorld to raise vital funds at this vital moment in our history. It starts in just a couple days’ time!

However, we want to give Groups, Explorer Units and Networks who are also struggling, the opportunity to use some of the funds raised – so we’re setting up a process for returning 20% of the total raised by each Group/Unit/Network.

All you need to do is make sure that everyone who fundraises for your Group/Unit/Network includes the name of your Group/Unit/Network when setting up their fundraising page. At the end of the race, (mid-December) we’ll share details of the amount raised with Group Scout Leaders/District Commissioners and equivalent Chairs and ask whether you’d like the funds returned to the Group/Unit. You’ll be asked to complete a simple form in order for us to process this payment.

Your support in mobilising leaders to take part will be a massive help to make sure we raise as much money as possible for everyone who’s struggling. We’ll send them this email later today that details how they can get setup for launch day.

Remember, you can take part too – the race is open to all, and the more the merrier!

Just travel a mile or more, get sponsored and log your miles.

All volunteers not in a section role are in Team Explorer Network +, led by Dwayne Fields and Megan Hine.

You can fundraise as a team or you can sign up individually, whatever suits you. Just don’t forget to share with us what you get up to using #RaceRoundTheWorld.

We’ll be back in touch at the start-line, with Chief Scout, Bear Grylls kicking off the race.

See you there!

Kester Sharpe
    Deputy UK Chief Commissioner
    Scouts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,725 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Hmmm...

The first thing that becomes apparent with this is, in the email I got it provides a link to connect to 'your team'. Obviously they got that from Compass - my link takes me to the Explorer/Network team, but I've not been an ESL for two years now.

Other than that, (and I hate being a stick-in-the-mud about it), but this kind of centralised fundraising with stock photos of smiling people on glossy webpages just annoys me - presumably because I'm old and cynical.

I suppose this matches how TSA operates these days - entirely ignoring the community-based aspect of scouting. Would it not have been better to have some sort of campaign that was more local? Perhaps at district or area/county level? Would that not be a more direct (and more cost-effective) method of providing help and resources to groups in need?

I think there will be a lot of leaders who will now be focused on the finite nature of the time they have available for Scouts - time made more finite by recent changes. Personally? I no longer have the time to be involved in anything out-with group level scouting. I'd certainly do what I could to help other groups, but not with this. I'd also mention again the weird - I'm not sure what to call it - unintended dishonesty? The incidental conflation of group money with TSA(HQ) money? It's perhaps a tiny wee lie of omission? If we talk about subs with parents under the current circumstances - that it's not the group that needs it, the money is going straight to HQ to plug their funding gap - or in this instance, it's going to other groups (some how).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 931 Posts
    I think they have made an error, it should have been a 50/50 split in the money raised, I reckon then they would have actually ended up with more money in the pot for the really struggling Groups as well as helping more other Groups raise money. At 20% I am afraid it just doesn't feel like worth pushing especially at this kind of short notice (I knew it was coming but without the details how were we supposed to promote it to our members for them to take part?) when we know we will be having to organise our own fundraisers as well and you can only go to the same sources of funding so many times.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (28-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,594 Posts
    20% retained by the Group? Get lost.

It should be 50%.

I think they are panicking.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

big chris (28-10-2020),richardnhunt (28-10-2020),shiftypete (28-10-2020)

Thanks
    Not interested. Deleted before I got halfway down the email.

Keeping 5 sections open and running programmes in 12 restricted groups at multiple locations is more than enough to use up my "two hours a week" in current restrictions.

I thought my extra £1.50 a head was for those 500 groups. They budgeted that and decided that was the figure to add. If they needed more they should have charge more. Volunteers time is more valuable than a few quid a head a year on capitation and I wan't our leaders time invested in delivering quality Scouting making up for the missed months and opportunities not organising this!
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group

web: www.9thmuswellhill.org.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill
    facebook: /9thmuswellhill

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dsheehan For This Useful Post:

Bushfella (28-10-2020),itchen (06-11-2020),Neil Williams (28-10-2020),Rob_82 (28-10-2020)

Thanks
    Agree with all your comments. At 50/50, I could make a good case to our leaders and parents to support our scout group, but also support scout groups really in need in poorer areas.

At the moment, it doesn't make financial sense nor consider the huge volunteer effort to run, on top of already challenging complex covid situation. Plus, why are they doing it right before Christmas???

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon11 For This Useful Post:

itchen (06-11-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,725 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon11 View Post
    Plus, why are they doing it right before Christmas???
    I suspect it'll have an element of 'handy program idea' to it. An idea that might get more sections doing stuff so their numbers can be counted come census time...

I dare say someone at HQ will have an eye on that aspect of things. The kids that camped earlier in the year? They're already on the hook for capitation fees. Hmmm, I wonder if parents knew they'd (potentially) be on the hook for subs if their sprog slept out one or two nights...

Thanks
    We used to do a large District raffle with good prizes and split 80/20 with group getting the 80%.
    Even then it was a hard sell.

This one, forget it, i'd rather do something sponsored ourselves and keep 100%
    Dave Ralphs
    Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires District
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I dare say someone at HQ will have an eye on that aspect of things. The kids that camped earlier in the year? They're already on the hook for capitation fees.
    They're not, it's based on who's a member as at the census date.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

big chris (28-10-2020),shiftypete (28-10-2020)

Thanks
    It's a no from me.

As previous comments have mentioned the timing is all wrong being launched in half term with typical short notice (Think hike to the moon also sufffered from this but at least had the advantage that we were all locked down with nothing better to do). Our cubs and beavers haven't met in any form since March so there is no real prospect of drummign up support there, scouts have been meeting on Zoom but we are planning our first face to face from next week so my focus has been all about that. I dont agree with the way funds intend to be split and as dsheehan points out, £1.50 of the membership increase was for this purpose.

Thanks
    I think I’m now more even more cross;

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...7hG7xt6pmOHzIc

So the required amount is £300K and there are 500 struggling groups? So groups/ districts/ counties can’t find the odd £600 grant anywhere in the system to just solve this problem- really?!

I realise I Scout in quite a well of area so going back to basics and presuming that in fact isn’t an option based on an average ish AMS of circa £40 (probably generous as our district have property that generates funds so we don’t pay them anything) that’s 15 kids per group covered for a year, or roughly what we have spent in one half term on kit and cleaning supplies to be open, or one building utility bill.

If this is the scale of the problem surely it’s not that bad and we solve that in lose change! If we are on our knees and can’t deal with a problem of this scale a few hundred quid to a each group is throwing good money after bad and not going to see much change or learn term security for them.
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group

web: www.9thmuswellhill.org.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill
    facebook: /9thmuswellhill

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54724463

How can Ďmore than 7,000 groupsí have already signed up for this already?

And why no mention of Groupís single biggest cost and how itís increasing by 30% in 2021?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pstretch For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (29-10-2020)

Thanks
    There are lots of unanswered questions about this.

500+ Groups is a round number. I hate round numbers as they are usually made up.

Who are these Groups?

What Counties are they?

Why are they in dire straits? Is it because they can't pay their AMS? If its other reasons has TSA agreed to not charge them AMS? If not is the raised money just to pay the AMS and therefore the fundraising is actually for TSA?

How do TSA know who the top 500+ are? Where does my Group apply (if I wanted to)? What are the criteria?

Oh and by the way you can buy a badge (out of the Groups 20%) for each one who participated.

Sorry, but I won't be taking part, I would much rather fundraise for a more transparent cause.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pstretch View Post
    How can Ďmore than 7,000 groupsí have already signed up for this already?
    The fundraising website https://scouts.enthuse.com/profile says there are 435 fundraisers so that's quite a discrepancy.

I guess TSAs figure are based on "showed interest" type siging up. I've done that in the past to get more information as its the only way to get it. Doesn't mean I'm going to do the activity.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    They just did a bit about groups at risk of closure on BBC breakfast.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big George View Post
    They just did a bit about groups at risk of closure on BBC breakfast.

I heard a bit on the radio this morning - a group at risk of closure because they cannot do any fundraising...

No group should be run on the basis that it cannot survive if it does not fundraise. (I am sure that it's perilous state is down to more than the lack of fundraising)

I have always argued that you take your fixed costs, and divide them by your minimum number of members, and base your fees on that figure. There can be a bit of leeway on start-up, but surely the fixed costs must be met from subs, else you are on a hiding to nothing.

In our example, we said a minimum viable number of 15, we worked out our fixed costs, divided it by fifteen, and any membership over 15 was a bonus. It worked out at about £3 per week. Which is favourable to any other activity in our area, cheaper than some that should have lower fixed costs!

Fundraising is for extras. Surely?
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk