Thread: Activities during lockdown + correspondence

Thanks

Activities during lockdown + correspondence

Hello!

I am a chief scout in France and there is a lockdown till the 1st of December at least and I learnt the situation is about the same in UK.
    I don't know how you are dealing with it in UK but in France we are trying to do activities remotely in order to maintain to keep social links between our teenagers.
    I am interested to know what you are planning to do during the lockdown.

I also have another request which is the reason why I registered on this forum:
    One of the "theme" we have in France is about international meetings. In general it is for the older age range (14-17years old) and takes the form of a summer camp with a foreign group.
    This is not what I am planning to do considering the situation and the age range of the teenagers I lead (11-14 years old), but with my co-chiefs, we were thinking about establishing a correspondence between our group and a foreign group during the lockdown.

Is there any group interested in such a project?

Thank you in advance!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by French_scout View Post
    Hello!

I am a chief scout in France and there is a lockdown till the 1st of December at least and I learnt the situation is about the same in UK.
    I don't know how you are dealing with it in UK but in France we are trying to do activities remotely in order to maintain to keep social links between our teenagers.
    I am interested to know what you are planning to do during the lockdown.

I also have another request which is the reason why I registered on this forum:
    One of the "theme" we have in France is about international meetings. In general it is for the older age range (14-17years old) and takes the form of a summer camp with a foreign group.
    This is not what I am planning to do considering the situation and the age range of the teenagers I lead (11-14 years old), but with my co-chiefs, we were thinking about establishing a correspondence between our group and a foreign group during the lockdown.

Is there any group interested in such a project?

Thank you in advance!
    Welcome - we all stopped meeting Face to Face (F2F) in March when we had our first lockdown. Some of us have been using Zoom or Teams to keep in touch with our Scouts (from Beavers at 6 to Scouts at 14) doing remote activities, challenges and some badge work. It has been very hard.
    During the summer some groups have started to meet up F2F again although you have to keep social distance (2m) so most games and activities are not possible. Other groups have stayed on Zoom. Some groups have not met at all.
    I had my first F2F with my Scouts a week ago in the local park doing orienteering with maps - they enjoyed it. Our next F2F was planned for the middle of this new lockdown so it is back to Zoom.
    Our Cubs and Scouts have taken part in JOTI in the past and enjoyed it - it might be possible to set up a Zoom meeting with some of ours and some of yours.

Where in France are you based?
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wealdbrook For This Useful Post:

French_scout (05-11-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post
    Welcome - we all stopped meeting Face to Face (F2F) in March when we had our first lockdown. Some of us have been using Zoom or Teams to keep in touch with our Scouts (from Beavers at 6 to Scouts at 14) doing remote activities, challenges and some badge work. It has been very hard.
    During the summer some groups have started to meet up F2F again although you have to keep social distance (2m) so most games and activities are not possible. Other groups have stayed on Zoom. Some groups have not met at all.
    I had my first F2F with my Scouts a week ago in the local park doing orienteering with maps - they enjoyed it. Our next F2F was planned for the middle of this new lockdown so it is back to Zoom.
    Our Cubs and Scouts have taken part in JOTI in the past and enjoyed it - it might be possible to set up a Zoom meeting with some of ours and some of yours.

Where in France are you based?

Hello, thanks for your reply.
    We are a group in Lyon. This is my first year as a chief so I didn't experience scoutism during lockdown. I was thinking more about doing a pen-pal system (letters) because I am not sure they have a level in english sufficient to hold a conversation whereas with a written correspondence it will be easier for them to take the time to understand and reply. However a Zoom meeting could work with the older ones. I will discuss this option with my co-chiefs and I will let you know.

Thanks
    I will ask my scouts of they are interested.
    John Alexander,
    1st Weald Brook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post
    I will ask my scouts of they are interested.
    Hello I tried to send you a private message but I don't know if it worked so I post here:

I discussed with the other chiefs about the possibility of a Zoom meeting between your scouts and ours.

How many scouts do you have? We are quite a big group divided by "tribes" (groups of specific age and gender). The tribe I lead with my co-chiefs is the one composed of girls aged 11-14 years old.
    They are 36 and are divided in 6 "crews" of 6.
    Do you have a similar organization?
    We could do meetings by crew or if you don't have enough scouts: 2 or 3 of your scouts for 1 crew of ours.

What do you think?

Feel free to contact me if you are still interested.

Thanks
    Got your message, we are a bit smaller than you at the moment with about 10 and are a mixture of boys and girls from 10 to 14.
    I will get back to you soon.
    John Alexander,
    1st Weald Brook

Thanks
    Hello! Are you still interested? If you are not, do you know a group that could be interested?
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by French_scout View Post
    Hello! Are you still interested? If you are not, do you know a group that could be interested?
    Thanks.
    I have contacted my Scouts and had some positive responses so, yes, we can try and arrange a suitable date and time.
    John Alexander,
    1st Weald Brook