Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mandatory Ongoing Training

Thanks
    Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,938 Posts
    It gets sold as a lightweight hobby helping kids do a bit of camping, go on day trips etc.. In essence, it isn't rocket science. Anyone with some empathy with kids can run Beavers or Cubs, A little more specific empathy with teens and you can do Scouts or Explorers. It is not overcomplicated - in its essential form.

However, layers upon layers of theory gets piled on top of the simple game that it becomes unwieldy and unattractive. Nothing about it is simple any more.

Scouting is not alone in this. Most activities have layer upon layer of bureaucracy, red tape, if you like.

Much of this, maybe not in scouting yet, is about making money. Go look for a First Aid course - there are now more than you can shake a stick at - all of them cost the student, all of them feed businesses - as opposed to the old St. Johand Red Cross that fed Charitable bodies. I came across one last night - First Aid for Cyclists - £120, and no certificate at the end of the course - absolutely worthless. I was talking to a local trainer and he tells me that the FA for football clubs is so specific that they will not accept any other qualification - yet the contents of the courses are virtually identical!

Okay - I have the experience and skills that might only need the odd refresher in most areas. If I were to come into this now, as a 30 year old newbie - I somehow don't think that I would be interested in module after module of training.

Having said that, Council support for a new Youth Club was conditional upon the volunteers doing MVQ L2 Youth Work training... I actually said nowt, knowing that they were condeming the project from the outset.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

dralphs (17-11-2020),pa_broon74 (17-11-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    It gets sold as a lightweight hobby helping kids do a bit of camping, go on day trips etc.. In essence, it isn't rocket science. Anyone with some empathy with kids can run Beavers or Cubs, A little more specific empathy with teens and you can do Scouts or Explorers. It is not overcomplicated - in its essential form.

However, layers upon layers of theory gets piled on top of the simple game that it becomes unwieldy and unattractive. Nothing about it is simple any more.

Scouting is not alone in this. Most activities have layer upon layer of bureaucracy, red tape, if you like.

Much of this, maybe not in scouting yet, is about making money. Go look for a First Aid course - there are now more than you can shake a stick at - all of them cost the student, all of them feed businesses - as opposed to the old St. Johand Red Cross that fed Charitable bodies. I came across one last night - First Aid for Cyclists - £120, and no certificate at the end of the course - absolutely worthless. I was talking to a local trainer and he tells me that the FA for football clubs is so specific that they will not accept any other qualification - yet the contents of the courses are virtually identical!

Okay - I have the experience and skills that might only need the odd refresher in most areas. If I were to come into this now, as a 30 year old newbie - I somehow don't think that I would be interested in module after module of training.

Having said that, Council support for a new Youth Club was conditional upon the volunteers doing MVQ L2 Youth Work training... I actually said nowt, knowing that they were condeming the project from the outset.

From experience the FA is very commercial at a local level.

I trained a referee in the 1990s and other than a nominal fee of £5/£10 to do the course and register, that was the limit of the outlay. Returned after a 15 year break in 2016 and had to retrain and got charged £150, and was required to outlay on certain bits of kit ahead of that course which probably came to another £100. Admittedly the fees even for youth football reflect the increase charges, it was a big outlay. Then on qualifying I had to pay for the FA Safeguarding Course which was actually really good, it was run by a recently retired primary school deputy head and I actually learnt quite a lot.

After a year of coming back got persuaded to upgrade my qualification to cover Futsal and a few other variants, each at £80-£100 a pop plus travelling. For various reasons I lost all confidence out refereeing so packed up after about 2 years coming back. I have a vague recollection of them talking about extending the first requirement to referees as well.

In contrast, was doing a game one evening and one of the parents was running the line. We got talking and he asked me if I had considered doing rugby officiating as the local rugby league team were always desperate, as they were reliant on people coming down from South Yorkshire or London. Turned out Cambridgeshire has 3/4 teams so signed up to the most local course, which was Hull which was a £20 donation to Hull RFL and a morning at Hull KR. After the first game which due to COVID-19, moving house and various other things the RFL provide the kit for free and get a good discount off tickets for major games. Aiming to get fit enough in 2021 to do at least one game.