Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Social Distancing Activities

Thanks
    Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,938 Posts

Social Distancing Activities

We have resolved to try and get things moving when we can. Depending upon the local Tier Rating and the risk level.

We will have some basic rules in place:

No-one with symptoms to come to meetings.
    No-one in a suspended bubble to attend meetings ( which the wy things are locally will probably reduce numbers to a handful.
    Masks to be worn during activities
    Social Distancing to be be maintained We will ask 2m but accept it will be 1m.

However, we are struggling for activities where social distancing can be maintained

Hikes.
    Geocaching - we have never done this as interest has been very low
    Archery and Shooting - light permitting
    Firestaff - kind of demands social distancing by definition

Then we end up with things like rounders - which are not a great idea as the batting team ends up with teams waiting to bat, with nothing to do.

All contact games are out.

So what SIMPLE ideas do you have?
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Have you not got covid risk assessments written up and agreed? From your post, sounds like you are not sure of all the requirements?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon11 View Post
    Have you not got covid risk assessments written up and agreed? From your post, sounds like you are not sure of all the requirements?
    He isn't in TSA.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon11 View Post

Oh, I'm pretty sure of the requirements. I don't have to jump through hoops to get a Covid RA ticked. I have seen the images of supposedly approved activities on FB. - many are clearly in contravention of any social distancing guidance. You can have all the "approved risk assessments you like, but if your leaders and young people just carry on as notmal they are not worth the paper they are written on.We need to be spot on when we do go back.

The Chair of the Community centre that we used is a Covid denier - she does not believe in social distancing, masks, added hygiene... so we currently have no venue, even if F2F Indoors is allowed ( unlikely here).

We met once during the summer when we were supposedly covid free and in a low infection area. We will not meet if it is not safe to do so.

Moreover, we have support from our parents because of the stance we have taken NOT to rush back.

Anyway - I am not here for a debate on the RA - I am asking what activities people do whilst maintaining social distancing. Most of the activities that we do are precluded by the inherent lack of distancing in the games/ crafts etc..
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

Thanks
    We did orienteering using the local fixed course in the Country Park. Small groups, individual laminated maps, leader with the clipboard to record control points found, some control points easy (low points) some harder (high points) time limit with penalty for late return. They enjoyed it and were pretty good at keeping a reasonable distance from each other and leaders.
    Our local campsite have been doing socially distanced climbing.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

Thanks
    Orienteering
    Fires (small individual fires) with basic cooking (on a stick /in foil)
    Laser nerf (does involve some outlay hiring or buying in kit)

I appreciate the loss of an indoor space won't help matters at this time of year... any local friendly farmers who might let you do archery in a barn?

Masks... I can sprt of understand. Therr are still plenty of scientists who aren't convinced. (My own opinion is wearing one isn't hurting me, is the law, and may be helping protect others, so I wear one where required) But not sure how anyone can deny the advantages of extra hygiene or social distancing...

Thanks
    Jury is out on orienteering, the last few tmes we have tried it they have sacked it off very quickly.
    No place to have fires. Council not keen and the campsites are closed.

Laser Nerf - we have the kit - got a grant for laser Nerf and extra archery kit.

We do have a friendly local farmer, but his barns are full - and to be fair, you need waders to cross the farmyard in winter.
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post
    Our local campsite have been doing socially distanced climbing.
    Personally I wouldn't agree to run climbing other than with those who are already experienced, I am not comfortable with checking harnesses etc from 2m (or even 1m) away, and most kids can't seem to do their own anyway.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

Bushfella (17-11-2020)

Thanks
    We did manage fire lighting (not making big fires) using various techniques (firesteels, flint and steel, 9v battery and wire wool etc using different types of tinder including dryer lint, charcloth, cotton wool, hay etc) - giving each YP a heavy duty foil roasting tray as a "hearth" - that way we had no mess/scorched earth etc. and they could stay well apart. Everyone had a go at everything (and kit was sanitised between uses).

Tried "remote messaging" i.e. morse code (could have used semaphore if it wasn't dark), passing messages between YP. Tried a round of "rumours" (used to be called ### whispers) to see if a message could be passed along the line. Failed miserably, but the end result was quite funny.

Another evening we made armpit fudge which was quite popular, and allowed the YP to stand apart doing it. Ingredients were collected from a table one by one. Victorian ice cream made using ice and salt could be another option, given a supply of ice and salt.

Devised a What3Words "quest", sending YP around the local area in small groups (within school bubbles, as it happens). A list of questions to answer to provide missing words, enter the W3W code into the app, find your way to the location, solve the location-based clue to give some missing letters. At the end of the exercise the missing letters are all compiled to give three final words pointing to a location of interest. I picked Brownsea Island, and was somewhat disappointed by the blank looks... As one of our Cub Leaders was present I blamed him on the lack of knowledge of Scouting history taught to the YP...

As an aside I had one parent object to us promoting the use of smartphone apps and What3Words, saying they strongly believed that Scouts should only be trained to use traditional navigation methods. Given that I have never seen this parent anywhere near our HQ, I trust my lack of response was not mistaken for anything other than restraint. As it happened the exercise highlighted some very good points about the drawbacks of the system and why a general knowledge of the area (and possibly a decent map) was pretty essential. #skillsforlife and all that.
    Last edited by CliveS; 17-11-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Jury is out on orienteering, the last few tmes we have tried it they have sacked it off very quickly.
    No place to have fires. Council not keen and the campsites are closed.

Laser Nerf - we have the kit - got a grant for laser Nerf and extra archery kit.

We do have a friendly local farmer, but his barns are full - and to be fair, you need waders to cross the farmyard in winter.
    Does your friendly farmer not have a copse or a bit if scrubland you could use for fires?

Thanks
    We are outside only and trying to keep social distancing as best we can and ended up doing
    Whittling -socially distanced by nature
    Some individual pioneering projects like catapults and lighting a candle at long distance
    Individual firelighting - one match fire. Using different lighting methods. A flint and steel relay race(no sharing). etc we did these in pound shop metal bowls in our carpark
    We also went over some updated first aid especially focussing on keeping yourself safe while checking someone is ok

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 931 Posts
    I have done a few activities involving glow sticks outdoors with our Explorers which have worked well.

Glow stick wide game - Collecting glow sticks hanging from branches around a local park if they are holding a glow stick they can try and take one of someone else by hitting them with a light up glow ball
    Glow stick water bottle 10 pin bowling - Stick 3 glow sticks in a 2L pop bottle about 2/3 rds full of water
    Glow Stick frisbee golf - 3 glow sticks connected together make an aero style frisbee tape glow sticks to criket stumps for that they have to get their frisbees over in fewest throws

We also tried water bottle rockets with glow stick in them but that didn't work as hoped as they just fire the glow sticks out of them immedietly with the first jet of water

We also did a photo treasure hunt thing - points for photos of them in teams of 3 (2m+ apart) in various locations or type of location

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    We played Battleships to learn/reinforce the use of map references. And because it was fun. Two teams, each makes two grids with garden canes, one grid is where their fleet goes and that grid has squares the full 1m cane length, in our case a 6x6 grid, 6mx6m. The other grid smaller as a plotting grid for the enemy fleet. Label each grid with coordinates - different coordinates of course. Use what you have to locate your fleet, we used milk crates (because we've got a load of milk crates), normal rules, 3 squares for an aircraft carrier, etc, and ships can't touch even diagonally. Then each fleet took a shot in turn, by calling the coordinate they were aiming at over a walkie-talkie (the fleets were out of sight of each other). The 'spotter' at the targeted fleet reported hit or miss, and for a hit that crate was inverted.

Also footgolf in the dark using a circle of flexible glowsticks as the holes. Set out a course (we had 6 holes) and play as with golf but using a mini-football. Setting the course to include dips and slopes is, you might say, par for the course.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    Does your friendly farmer not have a copse or a bit if scrubland you could use for fires?

No, I'm afraid not. There has been an issue this past year with illicit and messy campfires so not really a welcome activity. There is an old coal pit that is designated as wasteland but the council own it and when we sought permission we were quietly ignored - I suspect that setting fires on the spoil heap from a colliery would not be the wisest move we ever made

There is one spot that we could use, we did have campfires there when we started six years ago, but it was in my son's garden and I am not even supposed to be there, never mind 15 Navigators and three or four leaders!
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I think it depends on what they want from the event - do they want something Scouty/Navigaty or do they just want some (sensible) fun with their friends? Compared to the restricted options they have for other activities they may accept it and just use the time to talk - which is what ours did.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wealdbrook For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (18-11-2020),shiftypete (17-11-2020)