Thread: Recovery Fund

Thanks

Recovery Fund

Morning,

Some more positivity:
    Good News! Your Group is being offered support from the Scouts Recovery Fund

Our group received an email from HQ yesterday to say we are eligible for a grant from the recovery fund.
    This will cover the HQ AMS and the levy from Region (we're Scottish)/County plus a bit more.
    This was unexpected, even though we are based in an area of deprivation.

Neil

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 982 Posts
    Good to hear some Groups are benefitting form it although does sound like a circular way of routing fund to end up back in largely the same place (i.e. HQ)

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Keep us informed, would be interesting to find out how much support you get and whether that it what you require to keep going!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,737 Times in 1,631 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bellshillscouts View Post
    Morning,

Some more positivity:
    Good News! Your Group is being offered support from the Scouts Recovery Fund

Our group received an email from HQ yesterday to say we are eligible for a grant from the recovery fund.
    This will cover the HQ AMS and the levy from Region (we're Scottish)/County plus a bit more.
    This was unexpected, even though we are based in an area of deprivation.

Neil
    If it is unexpected, is it needed? This whole system seems rather weirdly implemented.

If it is paying AMS, it means that your group is not using it to survive (this is not paying for vital build works whose fundraising was interrupted by the pandemic). Isn't this just HQ paying a grant to itself?

no slight on you here, i hope that is clear. I think the groups that did the fundraising for needy groups would have imagined the money being spent more directly than on AMS.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,270 Posts
    Hmmm...

I mean nab it if it's on offer, but the way subs was managed this year was a bit ropey anyway for all the reason already explored. It does seem a wee bit circular to offer rebates based on money they forced groups to ask parents for in the first place.

As with most groups, I dare say it'll come in handy anyway, so yup - grab it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Good to hear some Groups are benefitting form it although does sound like a circular way of routing fund to end up back in largely the same place (i.e. HQ)
    I suppose you're right - almost all of the grant we received will go back to HQ to cover AMS.

Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    If it is unexpected, is it needed? This whole system seems rather weirdly implemented.

If it is paying AMS, it means that your group is not using it to survive (this is not paying for vital build works whose fundraising was interrupted by the pandemic). Isn't this just HQ paying a grant to itself?

no slight on you here, i hope that is clear. I think the groups that did the fundraising for needy groups would have imagined the money being spent more directly than on AMS.
    Was it needed? Some of it was needed.
    Whilst the majority will go back to HQ, the extra will help the group cover parents that paid less for AMS due to personal circumstances.
    I can say we didn't need it to survive so, in that regard, it has been a welcome bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    As with most groups, I dare say it'll come in handy anyway, so yup - grab it.
    It will come in handy.

Neil

Thanks
    Even if it does get used to help with the ams bill... its money your group doesn't need to find from reserves /parents / elsewhere.

However old phrase about a gift horse still applies
    Even if that horse is mangy and flea bitten

Thanks
    I think traditional fundraising methods will be still be disrupted this year and some events mights be restricted or not possible so use any to cover any potential shortfalls you might have there.

Thanks
    Its going to be an interesting situation once these covid restrictions have ended. Some groups will be in dire need, some went dormant while other groups such as ourselves have done 'far' too well.

For groups like ours with a building and a rate able value, with my rough calculation, it appears we are nearly on course to get 20k in government grants up to march 2021. This is equivalent to our annual income which has only slightly been affected by reduced group sizes and we didn't collect over the summer term.

We have still been doing some 'non-scouting' fundraising in the last few months which follow guidelines and we will support our local guide section who just hire a hall so haven't received anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,684 Times in 1,986 Posts
    For once it looks like you guys are benefitting from being in TSA if the recovery fund is money that TSA has accessed from government. Essentially, TSA has done the hard work.

I have been looking at accessing funds and they are virtually all Covid related and I am struggling to justify Navs meeting the criteria. I can usually massage things a little to fit but I cannot put my hand on my heart and say that we are providing critical Covid support for young people.

I am not overly concerned, it will all come around in due course. We have no overheads at the moment, no real costs, and we are pretty much well equipped, so what I need funding for is day trips and activities - since residentials appear to be off the table for some time yet.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk