Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Another (partial) farewell

Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhhjh View Post
    My biggest problem right now with this place is what I said at the end of my last post - that almost every single topic under the sun seems to go down the same gloomy TSA-bashing route. Maybe itís a sign that the doom mongers are all correct. Maybe the fact the forum is a shadow of the one we probably all joined is a sign that constant negativity slowly but surely drives an active membership away bit by bit (not helped by the easily accessible 1st FB et al).
    Heh!

Even I notice that, (and sometimes at least to try bring it back on track... Sometimes...)

As already said, that is the nature of forums, it is a place to chat, and chats tend to range wide - despite the thread structure. I think - the recent changes which worm their way into threads, do so because they affect everything we do.

(I also think, due to the much smaller membership here - compared to 1st FB - less actual scouting is happening. It's difficult to be positive when nothing positive is going on. Although if it helps raise the mood, I finished glossing the woodwork in the bogs last night... No? Oh well... )

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb123 View Post
    What you have heard is wrong then.
    If someone resigns then unless they agree to take another role or become an OH they do not have an open role on Compass.

If tHey do not agree to a new role then the District who sanction that are breaking the rules and possibly the law.

Also the census is taken from the censusreturn and not from Compass. A District or County who are doing checking as mine does would ask questions if there were large discrepances.

- - - Updated - - -

You may well be correct that the noisiest ones are those that are leaving.
    The issue is that many of these are long standing experienced leaders who have had enough. I guess it was the same in 1967 when Scouting had big changes.

If enough experience remains then things will plod on, otherwise Scouting will be watered down as the experience will not be there.

How many of the less experienced and new leaders will remain 10, 20, 30 years who knows as things will keep changing and it depends on how sublty.

the laws im afraid are being broken to what i see and hear

sad but true
    Ex Scout Leader - Air Rifle Shooting instructor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,652 Times in 1,969 Posts
    To be fair, I suspect that the majority of leaders are only here for the rise whilst their kids are involved. They will come and go without any fuss, generally.

Others, long serving Leaders will often go under a cloud of disagreement - and they will often make a fuss.

I, at least, have always been crystal clear, it was not TSA that was the issue, I could handle all the nonsense from HQ over the years. It was a very local and very particular issue. One where I honestly believed that the DC was in the wrong and where there was no movement from his local rule ( which was in breach of POR).

Often over the years we discussed the rules at great length (Explorers for example), and I noted that whenever there was a slightly more fiery debate, many members of Escouts went very quiet for a couple of weeks. They were probably the first to decant to FB. The irony of which is not missed

Yesterday, at my Dad's funeral I realised that I was more like my father than I thought. If it isn't being done right, then it isn't being done with my agreement.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    To be fair, I suspect that the majority of leaders are only here for the rise whilst their kids are involved. They will come and go without any fuss, generally.

Others, long serving Leaders will often go under a cloud of disagreement - and they will often make a fuss.

I, at least, have always been crystal clear, it was not TSA that was the issue, I could handle all the nonsense from HQ over the years. It was a very local and very particular issue. One where I honestly believed that the DC was in the wrong and where there was no movement from his local rule ( which was in breach of POR).

Often over the years we discussed the rules at great length (Explorers for example), and I noted that whenever there was a slightly more fiery debate, many members of Escouts went very quiet for a couple of weeks. They were probably the first to decant to FB. The irony of which is not missed

Yesterday, at my Dad's funeral I realised that I was more like my father than I thought. If it isn't being done right, then it isn't being done with my agreement.
    Sorry to hear of your loss Ewan.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post

I was going to say, 'I wonder if that's how eScouts will go', but it's probably already going that way. 1st FB is a lot more on message, it's also got an international demographic which isn't dealing with UK stuff. I can see a lot of positive stuff is going on, I can't quite see why that means those who aren't having that experience shouldn't be able to say so however. As I said, it's personal choice, (everything is), but if folks think this forum is becoming too negative, then add your positive stories, complaining that there aren't any, but not supplying any, is a wee bit self-defeating - I would have thought anyway.

It's the forum owners/admins I feel a wee bit sorry for (and I feel bad about being so miserable about TSA myself and venting here). I'm sure it's not the aims they envisaged for the forum.

With that in mind... The new racking arrived for our hall yesterday, (the MDF boards came today). It's been interesting figuring out what should go where, (and what should go into the skip). We lost a big cupboard to form the new accessible toilet, so the cra- eh, I mean equipment that was in there needs to go on the racking. But I don't want the racking to infringe on the hall itself too much. We also have tables and chairs and a TT table... I'd love to get rid of the chairs and replace them with folding chairs that can go on a rack against a wall... We also need to secure the plastic folding tables somehow. Currently they lean against a wall, but some kid usually sits on them and they slide out and they and he ends up in a heap on the floor...

Bogs are looking alright though, really need the electrician to finish his stuff though...

#positivity

Thanks
    I think you have different types of volunteers involved in Scouting such as

Volunteers who view it as a profession/ job in a similar way to say someone "working" in a charity shop on the tills etc etc - its just a job sign up, sign in, clock on, clock off, if you dont like it get another job to those terms such as line manager, etc are acceptable and much better than what they see as archaic terms that dont suit modern management such as GSL/DC/SL/CSL/BSL/ADC etc. Safety wise these will be happy with workplace style safety management and will see their workplace H&S rules and policy's as being the "law" on things such as overly complex risk assessments, PAT testing and so on with a greater emphasis on things looking nice and sterile and relying on things such as pat testing stickers for example to see if an item is safe to use

Hobbyist volunteers, these see providing Scouting as a hobby, these have been involved for a long time and some a very long time possibly being continuous members since they were beaver age, feel at home with some of the scouting terms such as DC/ADC, GSL etc and have a strong dislike for management talk, may also see safety as a bigger picture issue that affects everyone and as a result if there is a risk of a youth member getting injured then anyone can get injured including themselves, probably putting more into function over how worn something is and on pat testing will not be to bothered if an item has been pat tested or not, just as long as they are confident it is safe and will not trust a sticker on an item saying its safe to use if they think otherwise.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard T For This Useful Post:

big chris (20-02-2021),shiftypete (20-02-2021)