Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Folding chairs/new chairs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Delivery is 41 x 30 seats. That's not too shabby.

Ita not too bad when you consider it's a courier service and hundreds of miles. When ours arrived it was half the van full which we thought wasn't bad for 200+ miles for 85

Just didn't want you to be budgeting thinking "postage might be a tenner"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (24-02-2021)

Thanks
    Some groups here have the Gopak economy and they are fine for a short while but I found them very uncomfortable for a first response course after the first hour.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post
    Some groups here have the Gopak economy and they are fine for a short while but I found them very uncomfortable for a first response course after the first hour.
    90% of there use would be kids pulling them out to sit on but never for longer than 20 minutes or half an hour. Hall hires are another matter though, they do quizzes and the odd party where folk might be sitting for a couple of hours. But they can just stand up and stretch their legs a bit.

Meant to ask, does anyone want around 20-odd ex-British Legion chairs? They're metal framed, stackable items, upholstered in a delightfully deep burgundy velour. Seen very little use, very clean, ummm, some scuffs... Plenty of life left in them... Literally...

Thanks
    90% of there use would be kids pulling them out to sit on but never for longer than 20 minutes or half an hour. Hall hires are another matter though, they do quizzes and the odd party where folk might be sitting for a couple of hours. But they can just stand up and stretch their legs a bit.

Meant to ask, does anyone want around 20-odd ex-British Legion chairs? They're metal framed, stackable items, upholstered in a delightfully deep burgundy velour. Seen very little use, very clean, ummm, some scuffs... Plenty of life left in them... Literally...

I'd stick em on ebay or a local Facebook buy/sell group. There's probably someone somewhere would give you a few quid each for them and restore them to sell to one of those hipster "grandma's lounge meets steam punk" style coffee shops. The sort that buy their flooring from an old school gym, put up old factory lights and fill the bar witb as much mismatched furniture as possible.

We sold some old "church chairs" (the ones with the little tray in the back for the hymn book to sit in) a few years ago and it covered half the cost of the new chairs.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (24-02-2021)

Thanks
    I first though this was about committee chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post
    Are they the ones that dig into your back so that to obtain any level of comfort you either have to perch on the end, or adopt a weird slouched position, which in itself becomes uncomfortable after a short while making you alternate between sitting bolt upright perched on the end and then slouched back as if you are ready to drop off every 10 minutes or so??

As for Chairs, we have the old plastic seat/steel body "school style" stacker chairs, stacked in a corner of the small meeting room ( as the nursery use the chair/table stores for their equipment FOC which in turn is also spilling into the small meeting room) similar to these, but adult sized - if getting chairs online check the size
    https://www.scaramangashop.co.uk/old...tcbs40502.html
    Last edited by Richard T; 24-02-2021 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks
    We have these they have been at the hq for at least 40 years and still fully serviceable, stack well and great for camps too as they don't sink into the ground. I'd absolutely love to find some more but they only come up as expensive antiques now I think!il_794xN.2035288856_oubu.jpg

Thanks
    I got the quote back, and they've quoted for faux leather padded, folding seats - some sort of upgraded version of the Gold Coast games chairs linked above. They're a wee bit more expensive, but actually, are a good compromise because although the kids will use them, so will hall hires, so there needs to be at least a hat tip to comfort.

445 for 30. Hmmm... We're used to getting this sort of thing given to us - but, it means we don't get to choose. I think this is a worthwhile investment. I'll see if I can see the chairs we have to defray the costs. (The wooden chairs we have are probably worth a fair wedge, what I need is that salvage hunter guy to come and buy them for hundreds of pounds. I doubt he'd be interested in the burgundy things, they're in that zone of being old enough to be crap but not old enough to be desirable.)

Those wooden seated metal framed seats... Grrr, they're sooooo uncomfortable. Also, like the chairs we have, they're just such a pain to stack/unstack/move around. Kudos for taking them to camp with you. Even at the height of our heavyweight camping period (and we were seriously heavy weight), we didn't take chairs like that.

Thanks
    I got the quote back, and they've quoted for faux leather padded, folding seats - some sort of upgraded version of the Gold Coast games chairs linked above. They're a wee bit more expensive, but actually, are a good compromise because although the kids will use them, so will hall hires, so there needs to be at least a hat tip to comfort.

445 for 30. Hmmm... We're used to getting this sort of thing given to us - but, it means we don't get to choose. I think this is a worthwhile investment. I'll see if I can see the chairs we have to defray the costs. (The wooden chairs we have are probably worth a fair wedge, what I need is that salvage hunter guy to come and buy them for hundreds of pounds. I doubt he'd be interested in the burgundy things, they're in that zone of being old enough to be crap but not old enough to be desirable.)

Those wooden seated metal framed seats... Grrr, they're sooooo uncomfortable. Also, like the chairs we have, they're just such a pain to stack/unstack/move around. Kudos for taking them to camp with you. Even at the height of our heavyweight camping period (and we were seriously heavy weight), we didn't take chairs like that.
    I'd say the chairs i linked to are probably at "meeting" comfort level. Wouldnt want to be on one for a full day training course, but they're ok for an hour or two.

If i'm spending all day sat on one in event control i'll normally stuck a cushion on it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (24-02-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 982 Posts
    The church whose halls we meet in recently purchased a load of chairs like these to replace crappy plastic garden chairs they had before (no idea where they got them from). They stack up on a trolley to move them from one hall to the other if needed and then live in stacks of 5 when not on the trolley or in use
    https://www.onlinereality.co.uk/prod...oogle+Shopping

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

13. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (26-02-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    The church whose halls we meet in recently purchased a load of chairs like these to replace crappy plastic garden chairs they had before (no idea where they got them from). They stack up on a trolley to move them from one hall to the other if needed and then live in stacks of 5 when not on the trolley or in use
    https://www.onlinereality.co.uk/prod...oogle+Shopping
    Ahhh that old church hall favourite of being fussy about how many chairs in each stack. Our local church is similar. Chairs have to be stacked in sets of exactly 6, and the church wardens get funny if they're not colour matched in stacks (there's red chairs and black chairs. Same design so stack together perfectly well)

At the scout hut we were happy if the chairs were stacked out the way and weren't toppling over. If there was a stack of 4 next to a stack of 5 and a stack of 6 it was still 15 neatly stacked chairs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 982 Posts
    Sorry I should have said no more than 5 chairs in a stack. As if anyone tries to sit on the stacks of chairs then with more than 5 chairs they are in danger of tipping forward with a pile of chairs landing on top of them due to the curved legs/ground bar.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Sorry I should have said no more than 5 chairs in a stack. As if anyone tries to sit on the stacks of chairs then with more than 5 chairs they are in danger of tipping forward with a pile of chairs landing on top of them due to the curved legs/ground bar.
    Used to be a favourite pastime of our scouts to see how high they could stack the chairs without collapsing. Was good to see the teamwork

Noone ever got injured AFAIK.

Thanks
    Yes our cubs enjoy that game too 8 or 9 is no problem. it's when they get over a dozen I really worry - reminds me no WRA for that yet...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by webly View Post
    Yes our cubs enjoy that game too 8 or 9 is no problem. it's when they get over a dozen I really worry - reminds me no WRA for that yet...
    Our older scouts could usually manage 15. Then the ceiling height where the chairs were stored would become an issue.

As the PLs always said... the leaders are always moaning about the lack of space in stores so may as well make best use of it.

Not sure the beaver leaders would have been to thrilled to find the chairs stacked 7ft high sadly.

Thanks
    That's part of the problem we have with our delightful burgundy chairs, the kids try to stack them six or seven high then sit on them.

Sometimes it's quite infuriating, we've all seen the online video of the wee dug trying to get a branch in the door or drag it along the ground. Seeing a scout try to drag a pile of chairs seven high to the circle, you have to wonder. Even the other kids look at them as if to say: "what are you doing?"

All of that, plus, if they do manage to sit on top of them, even I have trouble splitting the stack up later on - and I'm an athlete.*

*In my head.