Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Badges.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,270 Posts
    I don't think anyone is saying you have to use them.

I thought I was a glass half empty type, (and I live in Scotland), but there's no guarantee they'll get wet in the first place. If they do, while it's not a good idea to leave then for too long, they don't have to be dried instantly.

But, more than anything else, there are all sorts of reasons for and against using different types of equipment, for us, it boils down to transport versus comfort. Small hike tents are a lot easier to transport, but they are very uncomfortable to spend a week in. When you start into the bigger 'hike' tents, the weight/space issue begins to rear it's head anyway - and, they're fragile. We've had a string of them, and it's a complete false economy. Like kids trying to pour fizzy juice into plastic cups - they will tip the cup over. They are genetically, evolutionarily unable to do it. And so it is with zips on those big 'hike' tents, and when one zip goes...

It's all about balance. But no one is saying you have to use them.

(To dry ours, if it was a nice day, we'd be down sorting gear out anyway, so we'd hang them on the tennis court fence. If not, they were laid out over chairs in the hall. To be honest, we'd struggle to dry them now, with hall hires happening. But I know I could nip up round the steading here and hang tents up no bother in some of the covered space.)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying you have to use them.

I thought I was a glass half empty type, (and I live in Scotland), but there's no guarantee they'll get wet in the first place. If they do, while it's not a good idea to leave then for too long, they don't have to be dried instantly.

But, more than anything else, there are all sorts of reasons for and against using different types of equipment, for us, it boils down to transport versus comfort. Small hike tents are a lot easier to transport, but they are very uncomfortable to spend a week in. When you start into the bigger 'hike' tents, the weight/space issue begins to rear it's head anyway - and, they're fragile. We've had a string of them, and it's a complete false economy. Like kids trying to pour fizzy juice into plastic cups - they will tip the cup over. They are genetically, evolutionarily unable to do it. And so it is with zips on those big 'hike' tents, and when one zip goes...

It's all about balance. But no one is saying you have to use them.

(To dry ours, if it was a nice day, we'd be down sorting gear out anyway, so we'd hang them on the tennis court fence. If not, they were laid out over chairs in the hall. To be honest, we'd struggle to dry them now, with hall hires happening. But I know I could nip up round the steading here and hang tents up no bother in some of the covered space.)
    I know that no-one says we have to use them

Drying them, as I said, would be a huge issue. If we had our own space, then yes, they become a possibility - and I would prefer them to hike tents in many ways. But we use what fits.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    How do you dry them?
    We have a load of pulleys and ropes over the stage in the church hall we meet, originally for stage screens etc but perfect for hoisting up tents to dry out of the way of any other hall users.

If we have more tents to dry then fit over the stage then we can hoist more up over the large A frames in the hall but this takes up the hall space.

We have actually been massively lucky in recent years and in 10 years of 4 day spring camps and week long summer camps held around the UK we have only had to dry the tents after one summer camp.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    If you plan your rolling programme well then your Scouts can complete the vast majority of their challenge badges, plus some activity and staged badge criteria without even realising it, and with out you doing that much different. Even now if you changed nothing, but started ticking off badge requirements completed during your sessions then they'd earn some badges.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Group Social Media Manager
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

Facebook Page
    WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks
    Some of our scouts enjoy gaining badges some don't all our scouts enjoy scouting.
    One thing I do know when we meet up with ex scouts of all ages the things talked about are hikes camps wide games etc no one ever talks about badges.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    If you plan your rolling programme well then your Scouts can complete the vast majority of their challenge badges, plus some activity and staged badge criteria without even realising it, and with out you doing that much different. Even now if you changed nothing, but started ticking off badge requirements completed during your sessions then they'd earn some badges.
    Hmmm...

That does rather presuppose leaders are doing a lot of things they're not actually doing.

We don't have a rolling program. We don't keep track of who's done what, or when. And we don't want to tick anything off for anyone, because we feel the kids get enough of that elsewhere in their already over-managed lives.

The kids come down, they enjoy the stuff we do and maybe learn new things and build a bit of confidence in the process. There's no pressure to perform, or standards to meet. Kids that really want to make an effort can, kids that don't, don't. No one is given anything they do or don't deserve. No one is looking over their shoulder and seeing someone get the same reward/award for an entirely dissimilar level of effort.

Crucially, none of them care about badges one way or the other. I suppose the only thing we sometimes insist on, is that they try new things they might otherwise shy away from.

Equally, if someone from district (or region) want to come down and run the section with badges, they can have at it. I'm not sure it works like that though.