Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lateral flow testing

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    You still need the back end DB, how else would you back it up if someone lost their card?

I don't think it's necessarily the idea, but it's implementation and potential use people might be nervous about.
    Yeah i suppose you would need the DB. It bugs me that i need to carry at times passport, driving licence, NHS card etc etc. Roll them into one please.
    Dave Ralphs
    Retiring Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    Former DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

Thanks
    Thanked 2,601 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dralphs View Post
    Yeah i suppose you would need the DB. It bugs me that i need to carry at times passport, driving licence, NHS card etc etc. Roll them into one please.
    You never need your NHS card. Most people don't even know where it is. EHIC is a bit weird, admittedly, but it's not us that's fussy about it.

You need your passport if you are travelling abroad. Anything else you can carry or not carry as you please (though it may be easier to carry your driving licence when driving, as well as a copy of your insurance certificate, as that way you avoid a "producer" if asked).

To me, the solution to any ID problem is just to have the DVLA issue driving licences with no driving entitlement (which is how the US states do it). Cheap, simple, no baggage, no big database to be leaked and misused.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

dralphs (19-03-2021),shiftypete (19-03-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dralphs View Post
    I don't see why they couldn't issue a chipped NHS Card with your details on it and let certain places update it and add other info eg allergies
    Could also be on your proper passport
    Ooh, can you imagine the outcry from the conspiracy theorists. ID cards, control, blah-di-blah
    Chris

Akela - 8th Mirfield
    Heavy Woollen District

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Atb View Post
    If you get an asymptomatic positive or false positive then leaders will have to self isolate. That will mean a direct loss of earnings for many. Possibly unnecessarily. Why would they volunteer to do that?
    You have to have the proper covid test at home to confirm this as well.
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Neil Williams;477555]hough it may be easier to carry your driving licence when driving, as well as a copy of your insurance certificate, as that way you avoid a "producer" if asked

Producers (or HORT/1 if you want the official form designation), haven't been a thing for several years - in England anyways. Its all on databases now, as long as you give your correct details etc the Po-po can check driving licence, and insurance via a radio check

The biggest barrier to any form of ID card, proof of vaccination what have you, is that it would have to be a legal requirement to carry it.............. meaning your average person could face being detained if not in possession of it ...... although I understand during WW2 if someone hadn't got their ID card on them they were given... wait for it... a producer!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigcheese For This Useful Post:

dralphs (22-03-2021),Neil Williams (21-03-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,987 Posts
    "producer" Hmmm.

At one point that coincided with one of my spats with the local Scout hierarchy I seemed to get stopped more frequently that I ever had been before or since. Once for a dirty number plate. Fiona got stopped driving my car, and they just apologised and let her go. Seemed odd. My paper licence at the time was a bit worn, but readable. I got a producer on the dirty number plate (or similar), when the PC at the desk looked at my licence she said that she couldn't read it and I got three points!

I read out the numbers to her, but she would not be moved.

Happy to have a chopped licence, just that I would like to be able to read what was on the chip.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    "producer" Hmmm.

At one point that coincided with one of my spats with the local Scout hierarchy I seemed to get stopped more frequently that I ever had been before or since. Once for a dirty number plate. Fiona got stopped driving my car, and they just apologised and let her go. Seemed odd. My paper licence at the time was a bit worn, but readable. I got a producer on the dirty number plate (or similar), when the PC at the desk looked at my licence she said that she couldn't read it and I got three points!

Happy to have a chopped licence, just that I would like to be able to read what was on the chip.
    You’d only get to see the basics, any more “interesting” information will be hidden away, available only to officials. I suspect this is already so on passports (yes, I know, tinfoil hats and all that but comments at passport control desks has made me suspicious).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big George View Post
    You’d only get to see the basics, any more “interesting” information will be hidden away, available only to officials. I suspect this is already so on passports (yes, I know, tinfoil hats and all that but comments at passport control desks has made me suspicious).
    A friend did a subject access request on the Border Force (or whatever it's called this week) and it came back with substantial chunks of stuff redacted! (He did it for totally innocent reasons - he's Polish and applying for citizenship and so needs records of precise dates when he has entered and left the UK, and as he doesn't have records himself it seemed a reasonable way to find out).

Goodness knows what they were recording on him, he's not "interesting" in that sense at all. I was actually surprised in a way that there were visible redactions rather than them just omitting it.

Thanks
    Possibly just links to his contacts. Hate to think what mine would look like!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to johnmcmahon For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (22-03-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmcmahon View Post
    Possibly just links to his contacts. Hate to think what mine would look like!
    But then why would Border Force know that? It seems incongruous that DBS checks, say, can take weeks if they can pull that sort of thing up just like that?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    "producer" Hmmm.

Absolutely nothing to do with lateral flow testing, but, I think once you get on the police's radar with things like dirty number plates or broken lights, you become a magnet for them. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of unofficial grapevine or flag that goes up. I had two separate flurries of stops (years apart). Dirty number plate was one, (on a company car, so it wasn't a banger - which can attract unwarranted attention).

I also got a producer for that dirty number plate. They said I had to go to an MOT garage and get the ticket stamped with an MOT, ummm, stamp - and present it at a police station, (presumably with the plate wiped too). I totally forgot. two years later, I asked a police pal if there was anything on their system, he laughed and said he wouldn't even bother checking. I even got the thing stamped too...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I think once you get on the police's radar with things like dirty number plates or broken lights, you become a magnet for them. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of unofficial grapevine or flag that goes up. I had two separate flurries of stops (years apart). Dirty number plate was one, (on a company car, so it wasn't a banger - which can attract unwarranted attention).
    My daughter was working in town and finishing after midnight most evenings. She came to me complaining that she was getting stopped most nights on the way home.

I told her to step back and look at her car and tell me what she saw, which was "a young single girl". Once all the stupid stickers had been removed she had fewer issues.

Her boyfriend had a car with a VERY noisy exhaust. I advised not to advertise being an idiot, but he seemed to like getting stopped regularly.

Lesson there is "don't advertise yourself as a target".

I myself had a job working nights and got stopped regularly by the same one each time. Went for a drink with a senior police officer and it stopped. Lesson there is ............. I'll leave that to you

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnmcmahon For This Useful Post:

dralphs (22-03-2021),pa_broon74 (22-03-2021)