Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lateral flow testing

Thanks

Lateral flow testing

As we start back F2F outdoors after Easter one of my Leaders has pointed out that YP and their parents are being offered lateral flow testing 2 or 3 times a week.

Should we be offering the same for those Leaders who do not have school children at home? Should supplies come from TSA of NHS?

Should we add this to our written RA? Or are we inviting issues?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmcmahon View Post
    As we start back F2F outdoors after Easter one of my Leaders has pointed out that YP and their parents are being offered lateral flow testing 2 or 3 times a week.

Should we be offering the same for those Leaders who do not have school children at home? Should supplies come from TSA of NHS?

Should we add this to our written RA? Or are we inviting issues?
    I think it might open a can of worms in terms of cost and training. I thought it was just the kids who were getting it, and presumably teachers?

I don't think it would ben applicable to use, given we're supposed to be socially distancing anyway. (I know they're supposed to be doing that at schools, but I think they're also considering a good dose of reality in their paradigm. Where-as, TSA think we can actually do it.)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

Bushfella (17-03-2021),dralphs (18-03-2021),shiftypete (17-03-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,987 Posts
    I suspect that for some it would be the last straw.

Leaders meet with kids, normally for no more than 2 hours per week - even in pre-covid times close proximity was not supposed to be the norm.

How would it be managed? My wife has home test kits, she does a test, it requires 30 minutes without food or drink, then the test, then reporting to register the result. Who would manage the control of the results? Would it be done the day before a meeting, or the same day as a meeting? How would anyone else in the group KNOW that the test had been done if the results were recorded outside the Group?

We can overthink precautions to the point where it is just safer to stay at home.

The government has eschewed vaccine passports - but they must be inevitable. That might give some form of security, but who is going to be checking - scouting is not a Police state - at least not where I have been involved.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

lornieg (17-03-2021)

Thanks
    Our local council is offering lateral flow tests to anyone who wants one (and is asymptomatic). Maybe others are doing the same? So concerned leaders could use that route if they wish to be tested, although of course distances to test sites will vary wildly depending on geography.

The YP (in secondary schools at least, can't recall if it's primaries too) may all be getting tested every 3-5 days which provides some comfort - although my son's school has pointed out that it is voluntary, but I believe the majority of his peers are doing it.

Thanks
    I was passing my local walk-in rapid testing centre the other day and wasn’t in a hurry so thought I’d try it out. Very efficient process but no fun actually taking the swab.

Thanks
    Here in Kirklees you can walk into a test centre and collect 14 Lateral Flow Test for testing at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Shaun For This Useful Post:

johnmcmahon (17-03-2021)

Thanks
    It is possible that we could access free lateral flow testing for leaders but whether groups want to use it will be a local decision. This is recent post from the NYA on Facebook:

Workplace Covid testing is now available to all businesses in England, including those with fewer than 50 employees
    The tests are free until 30 June, and companies can register until 31 March (if you sign up by the date it'll stay free after that date)
    To sign-up, Registered Charities need to provide the below information via email to [email protected] with the email subject “National Workplace Testing - Charity”, and a team at DHSC will complete the validation process:
    ��Company name
    ��Charity number
    ��Number of employees
    ��Industry / sector
    ��Email contact

Someone who has registered (don;t think it was scouts though) said validation would be done manually and there are some considerations to take into account if you registered (site set up etc). I had thought about it for leaders to do once a week as an extra process but most leaders have now had their first jabs, others are testing through work an two have had covid so I wonder if it is now worth it. I would be interested to see how this predicted shortage of vaccine is going to affect the roll-out. It is only the leaders below 40 who need jabs now and I was expecting mine early may (30-39) but i wonder if this is going to be later now. I guess it is an extra level of security whilst the vaccine roll-out continues but as it has been pointed out, secondary school students should be testing at home and other people might be able to test through work.

Thanks
    If you get an asymptomatic positive or false positive then leaders will have to self isolate. That will mean a direct loss of earnings for many. Possibly unnecessarily. Why would they volunteer to do that?
    AESL

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atb For This Useful Post:

big chris (17-03-2021),dsheehan (18-03-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I suspect that for some it would be the last straw.

Leaders meet with kids, normally for no more than 2 hours per week - even in pre-covid times close proximity was not supposed to be the norm.

How would it be managed? My wife has home test kits, she does a test, it requires 30 minutes without food or drink, then the test, then reporting to register the result. Who would manage the control of the results? Would it be done the day before a meeting, or the same day as a meeting? How would anyone else in the group KNOW that the test had been done if the results were recorded outside the Group?

We can overthink precautions to the point where it is just safer to stay at home.

The government has eschewed vaccine passports - but they must be inevitable. That might give some form of security, but who is going to be checking - scouting is not a Police state - at least not where I have been involved.

Re Vaccine Passports - I wonder what sort of records are being kept on people having a vaccine?

If I have a vaccination at the Drs it is recorded on the system. When I was offered a covid vaccine I was rang from my surgery and offered a time and date at a hospital 10 miles from home. When I attended they took my name and date of birth. I guess that if it all ties up then it will be reported back to my Drs.

They gave me a card with the date and type & batch of vaccine but not my name.

My mother and my father in law have had vaccine but neither given a card. So I don't know what will happen in time and if vaccine passports are needed how it will be proved.

I understand that both BA & Virgin will only carry passengers who have had both their vaccines but how do you prove it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,601 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Our protection is 2m social distancing, so there should be no need for lateral flow testing. Schools need it because they are not operating distancing.

Thanks
    When I was in the forces all vaccinations were recorded in BMed27 and on the FMed 4 which is the permanent paper medical record.
    The BMed27 was a small booklet issued to the soldier on deployment and returned when they came back. Essentially a Vaccination Passport, but it was pen and paper so easy to “amend” yourself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    I don't see why they couldn't issue a chipped NHS Card with your details on it and let certain places update it and add other info eg allergies
    Could also be on your proper passport
    Dave Ralphs
    Retiring Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    Former DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dralphs View Post
    I don't see why they couldn't issue a chipped NHS Card with your details on it and let certain places update it and add other info eg allergies
    Could also be on your proper passport
    Eek!

Did you say that deliberately?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Eek!

Did you say that deliberately?

Given the cards and data we already carry and freely give out (Nectar, BP Points, Tesco and so on) i don't have a problem with a properly secured system with strict limits on what it can be used for and by whom. I get that people don't want ID cards but we in effect carry them anyway so why not consolidate them and make them useful.

If the data is on the card chip you don't need a huge back end DB.
    Dave Ralphs
    Retiring Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    Former DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dralphs View Post
    Given the cards and data we already carry and freely give out (Nectar, BP Points, Tesco and so on) i don't have a problem with a properly secured system with strict limits on what it can be used for and by whom. I get that people don't want ID cards but we in effect carry them anyway so why not consolidate them and make them useful.

If the data is on the card chip you don't need a huge back end DB.
    You still need the back end DB, how else would you back it up if someone lost their card?

I don't think it's necessarily the idea, but it's implementation and potential use people might be nervous about.