Thread: Hall hires

Thanks
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,270 Posts

Hall hires

Folks.

Just a straw poll about hall hire costs.

Our normal charge is 10 per hour, it's needed to go up for a while, but how much have you increased your hall hire charge to account for Covid stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Paul B.

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Folks.

Just a straw poll about hall hire costs.

Our normal charge is 10 per hour, it's needed to go up for a while, but how much have you increased your hall hire charge to account for Covid stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Paul B.
    That's what ours has been for some years now, but since our finances are very good at the moment we see no need to raise it.
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkgap View Post
    That's what ours has been for some years now, but since our finances are very good at the moment we see no need to raise it.
    While I'm not sure what charging regime our hirers have - they're all businesses (one is a hobbyist dance class, but never mind...) If we rented to other charities, that would be another consideration. Its about actual costs of running too, not how much cash we have in the bank.

I was more thinking about actual outlay for any Covid-related stuff? We're going to have clean more, do signage and provide hand wash etc. I have a twenty page government guidance PDF to plough through... Heck, I want paid for that!

(We've also upgraded significantly, so there's that too.)

Thanks
    It is always difficult to work out what it costs to make a facility available to another party when it is already there and in use for the prime user.

One approach I tried for the Church was to take the costs of running the building split between utilities and maintenance/minor repairs.

I then worked out for the Church and for each renting organisation how many "room hours" a year they used.
    Because the Church is an older building and the different rooms take time to heat, I added that to the room hours to create utility hours (to heat the hall takes 90 minutes so a short session of an hour would be treated as 2.5 hours but a long session of 3 hours as 4.5 hours).
    I then distributed the total utility cost over the utility hours and the maintenance costs over the room hours to work out the annual cost of providing for the Church and each renter. That as then divided by the renter's room hours to give an estimate of the cost of providing a room (with heat, light, toilets, etc.) for an hour and it was generally around about 8 per hour.

Hope that makes sense.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wealdbrook For This Useful Post:

scoutgamer (28-03-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post
    I then worked out for the Church and for each renting organisation how many "room hours" a year they used.
    Because the Church is an older building and the different rooms take time to heat, I added that to the room hours to create utility hours (to heat the hall takes 90 minutes so a short session of an hour would be treated as 2.5 hours but a long session of 3 hours as 4.5 hours).
    I then distributed the total utility cost over the utility hours and the maintenance costs over the room hours to work out the annual cost of providing for the Church and each renter. That as then divided by the renter's room hours to give an estimate of the cost of providing a room (with heat, light, toilets, etc.) for an hour and it was generally around about 8 per hour.

Hope that makes sense.
    Makes perfect sense to me! Add a small percentage and it makes it very transparent for the committee and, if necessary, for hirers.

We rent ours from the Church who did just this. Put our "rent" up a bit but we just pass the extra on to the parents.

It's easy to put the figures into a spreadsheet and let the computer do the work.

IMO 10 is not enough. Do a web search for hall charges near you to test the market. Just done one here and it's 10 per hour to 50 per session.

SEGUE; We are looking at our Subs for next year. According to my daughters, social groups (ie, businesses) are 6 to 7.50 per person. These are the self same businesses who are paying 10 for the hall.

Thanks
    Pre-covid we used to charge guides/brownies/explorers 100 per term for their weekly 90 minutes. It was going to be reviewed as hadn't gone up in ages then covid.............

When we properly restart we will have to look at it and review adding in extras for covid measures once we know how much that will be as an ongoing cost.

All of them also helped out if we were having a big fundraiser hence the lowish cost
    Dave Ralphs
    Retiring Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    Former DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 982 Posts
    We pay our sponsoring Church about 10 per Section Session (its actually a flat termly amount but I just worked it out to a per session fee) and that is way below local market rates for hall hires.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

johnmcmahon (30-03-2021)

Thanks
    We have a 'commercial' rate which takes in children's parties and a keep fit class 15 an hour or 45 for a four hour session... then there are 'mates' rates which include local clubs and societies, 10 and 30 respectively. We charge the local Brownies a tenner for their weekly meetings (yes we get on well!). Out biggest day time users was the local primary school's forest school; they get the biggest discount 7 per 1 session. Other Scout Groups... Free! (but a donation to leccy used and a broom being pushed round is appreciated)

I guess hire costs are all relative. Our nearest Scout Hut 'competitors' charge 25 per hour but they have a nicer hall!

We haven't really thought about any extra costs related to covid, especially as we have stopped/suspended all hires for the foreseeable future... with the exception of Brownies who start back after Easter (yes we get on well!).

I suppose covid cleaning pre/post hire is a thing now so perhaps we should give it some thought; longer hire periods so the user can clean (trusted to do it properly)? An increased rate to cover the extra cleaning done by our volunteers (not sure what the extra cost is)? Or just suck it up (might be the nice thing to do)?
    Last edited by bigcheese; 31-03-2021 at 09:49 AM.

Thanks
    Our hirers expect some sort of increase, we had a cleaner who came in once a week, but for her to come in after each session - that would double the cost of hires if we passed it on fully.

We'll limit access, (block off 3/4 toilet cubicles, mark out where bags can be placed, put signs up saying not to touch anything else etc etc etc), not so fussed about buying cleanser etc. Our hires are each at least 24 hours apart, usually more.

Certainly with one of our hirers, there is a crisis of expectation. We have a key safe, and we know they come in an hour in advance to put heaters on, (they didn't ask, they just did it). I get it, it's Yoga, so they're not running around. But for the heaters to be on for two hours, that costs more than they were paying for their hour's hire. Now they're complaining (mildly) about some of the heaters not working.

We plan on this becoming moot, heating is next on my to-do list. We'd like to keep the building heated all year round. It has a concrete floor which acts as a heat sink. It's always cold in the hall - which is nice on overly hot summer's days, but gosh - in the winter? It's not great. It's like the heaters are battling with the cold stored in the concrete floor - it takes yonks to warm up.

Thanks
    I took the view that as a charity with objectives focussed on youth development we should not be overtly undercharging for use of our hall, as this would benefit users that are not youth. But we are also happy to give discounts to 'friends' of the Group, in recognition that they do us favours, so we do them favours.

I googled to find local halls and see what the 'going rate' is. The answer was 10-20 ph. On the grounds that a 3 hour hire is less than 3 times the hassle of a 1 hour hire, I use a graduated system of 20 for the first hour, 15 for the second and 10 for the third.

Haven't planned an increase for covid reasons, as we already have a cleaner most nights and we are not going to clean between hires on the same day. (We are making this the responsibility of the hirer.)

Thanks
    Hmmm...

The only other comparable halls for hire are the school and the community centre. The former is 17ph (but I'm sure there are surcharges because the jannie needs to be there). Also, for an hour's hire, I'm sure they insist on paying the overlap at the beginning and end. The Guides (Brownies and ummm, their younger sect- RAINBOWS!) use the school hall. The latter costs 13 for charities and a whopping 50 for commercial rents. All ours are commercial.

We use the community centre for jumble sales, (or did). And it's fair to say, the manager (who is a council employee) is well known for not letting anyone use the community centre. It also has a management committee of local folk, for whom manager is the bain of their committee duties. (The people who work in the library joined to the centre don't use the toilet facilities in the community centre due to frowns they get.)

There's the church, but they're more 'rooms' and than a hall. We really need to sort our heating out, it's the last think which is letting us down.