Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pub wants to hire marquee

Thanks

Pub wants to hire marquee

A local pub had asked if they can hire our marquee for a good length of time, my concerns are, it's a traditional ridge marquee that needs to be looked after and maintained while up.
    When we have used it in a week long camp things such as guy lines have to be regularly adjusted/tightened etc
    we have hired it out for weekends,and the odd day even at another pub for a wedding reception/overspill but that was for one night only.
    but its never been up for a long duration.
    Thoughts?
    Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Are you able to instruct the landlord what needs to be done, or have one of your team make the daily checks?

I would say it is a risk as drink and tents can cause damage so make sure insurance is up to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Thanked 3,737 Times in 1,631 Posts
    Absolutely not!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

Bushfella (28-03-2021),johnmcmahon (29-03-2021)

Thanks
    Two summers ago our group hired out our marquee for 12 weeks to someone who was having renovations and wanted to store furniture in it.

Next time we went to use it the fabric tore like tissue paper. Bye bye marque. Fortunately we could still use the frame and get a new “canvas”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,270 Posts
    Depends on the marquee.

We've done this in the past with ours, caveats were, it was local and we checked it regularly, (although it wasn't for as long as 12 weeks.)

We also hired our marquee out to some fairly rough outings, one of our trestle tables came back with motorcycle burn out marks on it. The tent was always okay though.

For me, it would depend on the money, at the end of the day, to hire a marquee (commercially) for 12 weeks would run into thousands I'd imagine. On that basis, I'd do it, but I'd want to be clear about the kind of pub it was going into, and on some sort of schedule to check it.

(We once 'let' the district borrow our 40/20 pull up marquee. Cheeky sods used it as a balloon release thing. We weren't overly happy. Never ever hire your marquee out for any sort of school dance/after party - especially if it's a public (private up here) school prom affair. Our marquee got badly trashed at one of these. Never again, proper brats. They left their parents to clear up. We turned up and they had no idea what had gone on.)

Anyway TL/DR version? How much are they paying?

Thanks
    I would proof and uv protect the canvas very well first if going up longer than a week, and assuming it’s already at least 20 yo fabric! (On the basis the average age of our district marquees is about 60 yo). I would also think about the clean up job afterwards - sap etc if sited under a tree.

The canvas ones are not designed to be up that long. The marquee tent companies now tend to use the more durable synthetic materials, and canvas tent manufacturers tend to do variants with almost rubberised / pvc roofs for their permanent tents installed through all seasons at holiday parks etc.

I would also want assurances about smoking. While I think people would not smoke inside, the greater risk is hastily discarding a cigarette on their way in and it falling next to the canvas.
    AESL

Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,987 Posts
    If you want to be able to use your marquee, don't do it.

For goodness sake, they can BUY Gala tents for under £1000.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    If you want to be able to use your marquee, don't do it.

For goodness sake, they can BUY Gala tents for under £1000.
    This is a good point. The finance of this seems off. Are the pub expecting it for super cheap because it's scouts, or have they they not heard of Go Outdoors, or Decathlon?

Thanks
    If you're going to do it make sure you have a large "damages" deposit up front. Make sure they pay the hire costs up front as well.

Make sure the hire costs plus the damages deposit are enough to cover a replacement marqee. Worst case then is you get a new marquee out of the deal, best case is you get the hire costs.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kastor For This Useful Post:

dralphs (29-03-2021),shiftypete (28-03-2021)

Thanks
    If this works, there should be a picture showing it just up for a one day event ( there was someone form the group on site all day) they placed traffic cones on the pegs as the steel ones are sharp on the top, the wall sections must be up if its so much as windy - depending upon how many sections are in use depends upon its size - smallest being 20x20ft then 10ft extensions upto 50ft long its roughly 20ft high, an adult needs to lower their head slightly when entering, click for picture:
    marquee.jpg
    It dates from about 2004/2003 and is plain non plasticised plain white canvas, as far as i know its never been re-proofed and the canvas is slightly thinner than the green patrol tents we have

biggest risks are:
    leaning on the smaller upright outer poles as these can be knocked out of place, if not put back then you can have problems, if you knock a corner pole out, or one at a join then you can have bigger issues
    Steel pegs are sharp on top
    pegs and poles can and do move during use, and need re-pegging / regularly adjusting
    When up for a long time, ground conditions change from dry and hard/crumbly to wet and soft and back again, and the pegs and guy ropes need adjusting
    and thats just for starters

- - - Updated - - -

If this works, there should be a picture showing it just up for a one day event ( there was someone form the group on site all day) they placed traffic cones on the pegs as the steel ones are sharp on the top, the wall sections must be up if its so much as windy - depending upon how many sections are in use depends upon its size - smallest being 20x20ft then 10ft extensions upto 50ft long its roughly 20ft high, an adult needs to lower their head slightly when entering
    marquee.jpg

It dates from about 2004/2003 and is plain non plasticised plain white canvas, as far as i know its never been re-proofed and the canvas is slightly thinner than the green patrol tents we have

biggest risks are:
    leaning on the smaller upright outer poles as these can be knocked out of place, if not put back then you can have problems, if you knock a corner pole out, or one at a join then you can have bigger issues
    Steel pegs are sharp on top
    pegs and poles can and do move during use, and need re-pegging / regularly adjusting
    When up for a long time, ground conditions change from dry and hard/crumbly to wet and soft and back again, and the pegs and guy ropes need adjusting
    and thats just for starters

Thanks
    That looks very similar to our marquee, or what's left of it. Looks like a push up number - on four poles... We gave up on that, we just didn't have the heavy bodies. We reverted to two poles and told hirers to get on with it.

I'm fairly sure it got damaged, I can't remember the where and how though... The top panels have a weakness where they lace up.

I wouldn't be letting that stay up for 12 weeks. I've changed my mind, I'd say no.

Our old pull-up marquee was solid, once it was up it was seriously up. We no longer use our marquee, I did have it all our to photograph in preparation for sale, but you know, Covid...

Thanks
    Theres a little bit of damage/wear on it at the moment, it was due to go for repairs to a local marquee hire company but Covid put paid to that
    the wear points are Eyelets on the join sections - some of these are missing, not a huge issue at the moment that area just neds a little extra care, and some of the wall hooks have broken.
    It tends to get used for week long Scout cmaps, and camps where we have more people and the mess tent would be a squeeze

Thanks
    Thanked 3,737 Times in 1,631 Posts
    To be clear... you are expecting very drunk people to look after your kit? You are expecting people who do not know how to look after heavy canvas to look after this marquee?

I don't know why this is even being discussed. The trustees must say no

Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,987 Posts
    We rented out our Mess tent. for two nights. It came back with a ripped roof!

On the other side - we managed to help out a local music festival by borrowing a Marquee for three days. No damage was done by the alcohol infused cannabis smoking partygoers. The same could not be said for the portable toilets, or the poor sods using them at the time!
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    I've known of groups hire out traditional tents for schools and pubs over the last year and if explained properly there's been no issue and if you do checks on it to make sure it's all fine.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.