Thread: Leader Recruitment

Awards Team
    Thanks

Leader Recruitment

Hi,

Have been reading through many threads and a common problem seems to be Leader Recruitment. A few years ago when I joined my cub pack as an "unofficial" young leader it was just me and the Cub Leader. We had one irregular ACSL but he wasn't too reliable due to work!

And so to the point....when we go camping or on trips we encourage as many parents to come along as helpers as possible. We look to see who is keen and would be good as a leader and then when we are sitting down in the evening for a drink we approach the subject gently. Most parents are keen to get involved and help, and even those who initially reject the idea can be ought round in the end.

The main thing is to show them that you have a good laugh while doing scouting activities and make sure they are aware that any time they can give is really appreciated. Since using this tactic we generally get 1 new leader per summer camp, meaning that we now have 4 new regular leaders. They cannot all make every week but it means there is always someone there.

Thanks
    Yeah

Chatting to parents is always a good idea, getting them to know you better, and what exactly goes on and how they can help.

The problem is its harder to do when you are overstetched.

Mind you there should be people that can help

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    Getting parents involved in regular meetings on a parent rota is also key as I think so many parents have no idea what actually goes on in Beaver/Cub/Scout/Explorer evening.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete
    Getting parents involved in regular meetings on a parent rota is also key as I think so many parents have no idea what actually goes on in Beaver/Cub/Scout/Explorer evening.

we have just got a parent rota going for the cubs with a pool of 10 parents so they 1 thursday every two months or soemthing and I am hoping that we can convert one of them to become a pack helper as my cub leader returns to south africa in November just leaving two of us too run 26 cubs and 15 scouts

derek
    9thMuswellHill.org.uk