Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Scout 50p

Hathi (ACSL)
    Thanks
    Turning back to the 50p....

Considering we are clebrating our centenary (100 years) why is the coin chosen a 50p, surely wouldn't £1 (100p) be more logical?

Any ideas?
    Will

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thirddun View Post
    Turning back to the 50p....

Considering we are clebrating our centenary (100 years) why is the coin chosen a 50p, surely wouldn't £1 (100p) be more logical?

Any ideas?
    We should be grateful for the opportunity the Royal Mint has given us, not nit pick to be frank.

Besides 50p is one of the biggest coins

Hathi (ACSL)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    We should be grateful for the opportunity the Royal Mint has given us, not nit pick to be frank.

Besides 50p is one of the biggest coins

Richard,
    This was not nit picking just a curious thought. Although you could be right about size
    Will

Hathi (ACSL)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thirddun View Post
    Richard,
    This was not nit picking just a curious thought. Although you could be right about size
    Having investigated my change I guess size is something to do with it as £1 coins only vary by royal logo's etc rather than commerative. £2's do seem to change but 50p's seem to be the most common commerative apart from the £5 coin.
    On the subject of obtaining these outside the presentation folder I know that I can get £5 coins unused straight from postoffices and certain banks so you may be able to get one if you ask the banks etc.
    2007 seems to be getting off to a good start PR wise for Scouting let's keep it up!
    Will

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jelly View Post
    They were allegedly taking photos for the stamps at Gilwell last year (while we were camping) because they phoned me and asked if we would be willing to be photographed if required.

Unfortunately it seems that it wasn't required (probably due to the lack of girls in my pack at the time)

I don't think you would have been recognisable on a stamp as you have to be dead or a member of the royal family (or marrying into it) in order to have a picture on a UK stamp.
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    The 50ps are ideal for us.

Most of the Troop are off to Norway for 10 days in July (and yes all the schools have said "ok") and we're collecting bits and pieces of Uk Scouting to give to our host Troop whilst there. Can't afford the presentation packs but nice shiny new 50ps will be great
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    Soooo, has anyone found one of the 50ps yet?
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    why is the 50p so expensive tho, it seems so stupid and definately a rip off!
    Last edited by scottw; 09-01-2007 at 11:33 PM. Reason: typo
    Scott Walton

Thanks
    because the card costs £5.50

Thanks
    Presumably it costs more to produce comemerative 50ps than ordinary ones and this is the royal mints way of earning some of it back. I doubt TSA has funded it.

Thanks
    Compared to other of the royal mints presentation packs is very cheap - £19.95 for a set of the years coins in a cardboard folder for giving to babies? I doubt the scout association had any say in pricing.

Thanks
    i understand the TSA having no say in price for iti was just curious as to whyit was so expensive
    Scott Walton

Life is what you make it. scolliss's Avatar
    Currently working in Switzerland, not far from Kandersteg.
    Thanks
    Applied directly via link to the mint above and got mine in about 7 days. Went for the cheapest option there with a 1000% mark up but it was worth it.

Minted run of 30,000 being made in presentation packs which is not many considering how many Scouts there are. I will still be looking out for the general circulation coins too as they will make a good swap item for good badges etc.
    Life Is What You Make It
    www.ismt.org.uk

Thanks
    I presume the reason Royal Mint charge so much is because people are willing to pay that much for the coin and presentation package. They will charge whatever people are willing to pay!

Just like how airlines charge whatever people will pay for tickets. In case you didn't know - in places like the UK where people are willing to pay a fair bit of money for a plane to the US, the airlines will charge the most they can. Whereas in other countries the demand for tickets to the US may be less so the airlines charge less. (consequently you can actually fly cheaper by getting two planes!! One to else where in Europe then to the US)
    Phil Banyard
    1st Haworth Scouts | Centenary Archery Team | Melton Scout Campsite

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil4071 View Post
    I presume the reason Royal Mint charge so much is because people are willing to pay that much for the coin and presentation package. They will charge whatever people are willing to pay!

Just like how airlines charge whatever people will pay for tickets. In case you didn't know - in places like the UK where people are willing to pay a fair bit of money for a plane to the US, the airlines will charge the most they can. Whereas in other countries the demand for tickets to the US may be less so the airlines charge less. (consequently you can actually fly cheaper by getting two planes!! One to else where in Europe then to the US)
    thats called buissness! why charge £1 when you can charge £10!?!