Thread: Help Scouts stay safe online

Thanks

Help Scouts stay safe online

Help Scouts stay safe online

The Scout Association has teamed up with Microsoft and the Child Exploitation and On Line Protection Centre (CEOP) to pilot a training programme for Scouts and Explorer Scouts.

CEOP, with the support of Microsoft, has developed a short interactive training programme for young people aged 13 to 18 to help them stay in control and have fun online. The programme is called Thinkuknow. It will be offered to schoolchildren over the next year but CEOP also wish to get this information to additional groups of young people, which is why they have asked us to help.

We are looking for teams of three or four volunteers from up to six Counties/Areas to help us pilot the programme. You will receive full training to run the programme provided by CEOP and supported by Microsoft, as well as presentation and group work skills and there is support for any child protection or other issues that may arise. The training will take one day. These small groups will then make a commitment to deliver the programme to several groups in their County/Area over the following six months and then take part in a review. The training will take place in London and Microsoft will meet your expenses.

The programme itself is not computer based but uses a projected presentation, discussions groups and question and answer sessions. It is very well put together, has been thoroughly tested and is good fun. It will also be an interesting and unusual, evening’s programme for a Scout Troop or Explorer Scout Unit.

CEOP are particularly interested in a peer-led approach so the preference is for the training to be delivered by 18 to 25 year olds, but age is not critical. It is important however that you have the enthusiasm and confidence to carry out this training and have a sound understanding of the online world of chat rooms, instant messaging, texting and other similar forms of communication.

CEOP is also interested in piloting the programme to some groups of parents, so if you would like to take part as a parent, please contact us on the number below.

Interested? What next?

• Get together with a group of three/four people who are also interested and email your details to [email protected]
    We will select people on the basis of
    • Approval by their County/Area Commissioner
    • Geographical spread
    Any questions?

Email Leah at the address above or phone the Scout Information Centre on 0845 300 1818 and ask for Leah Cross or Stephen Peck.
    Last edited by Daniel; 25-11-2006 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thats a bit different may do something similar with our scouts. With the current scares of child protection it is a worthwhile program.

Thanks
    WOW!
    I work with CEOP, I kept suggesting this (it turned out it was already in the pipeline). The programme is great, and I would strongly recommend it, hopefully when it is no longer a pilot and is rolled out properly, it can really work.
    Matthew

Thanks

Question

Hi,

I am very interested in putting forward for this but not sure how to contact other people interested to make up a team. If there is anyone else in the Petworth and Pulborough District or West Sussex who would like to make up a team, please email me at [email protected].

I work for IBM and I design and develop corporate web applications, I am also the chairman for 1st Petworth as well as running their website (www.petworthscouts.org.uk).

Thanks,

Doug
    Doug Chandler
    Chairman
    1st Petworth Scout Group

Thanks
    Go straight to HQ, and tell Leah.

Don't worry about a team currently, they are needing the numbers at the moment.