Thread: Gang Show

Thanks

Gang Show

Hi There,

After having our last Gang Show rehearsal before christmas I thought I would askon here if therewas any one else involved in gangshows.

if so what sort of things do you do etc?

the worthing gang show website is www.gangshow.com/worthing (i am webmaster so let me know of anythink icould add / improove)
    Last edited by scottw; 17-12-2006 at 10:41 PM.
    Scott Walton

Thanks
    i am a member of lighting crew of the (aparently!?!) famous Harpenden and Wheathampstead Gangshow (http://www.hwgangshow.org.uk - im an ass. admin). May have to give it a miss this year though school commitments...o well theres always next year

Thanks
    Jamie

The Harpenden Gang Show is indeed famous - news of it has even travelled to the next County!

I jest - the sons of a friend of mine have been involved in it in the past, and I know from the friend what a great production it is. A credit to Scouting. Well done!

Penny E

Thanks
    In my district (Ruislip, GLMW County) I don't think we've ever had a Gang Show. (At least, not a big one, and not in recent years, that I know of).

Anyway, I like the concept, and I have been doing Drama classes since I was around five, so I wouldn't mind bringing Acting into Scouts a bit more. It obviously helps with confidence, and can be loads of fun!

I'm THINKING of getting a team together from our district to run one (perhaps as an end of centenary celebration). If we started planning in the new year, we could have something really good by November/December.

However thinking about that time of year, I was wondering how a pantomime might work? I've heard of other districts who do pantomimes each year, so it could be a possibility?

Any thoughts of what might be big and impressive for a centenary finale, yet basic enough to be organised by first timers?

Thanks
    a Gang show is a pantomime!!!! just a scripted one try here and here for some material ideas.

I think that our production crew have a maximum of a month off from planning each year before the next one starts !!!! good luck...sounds like you'll need it to me

Thanks
    Alec - Jamie is the man to talk to, if everything I hear about Harpenden is true.

Thanks
    Thanks Penny!! the problem is that our venue is too small!!!! we always sell out within about 2 weeks of starting!!! check out our website to contact the producer (Ewan) who will tell you what you are getting into Alec!!

The other great thing about the gangshow is when you get another cast in. we get St Albans which takes up 1/2 the auditorium!!!! they are great fun cos many of the songs are the same and they always know what reaction you want. Talk with the most local one to you and see about setting up a link.

finally i found this site before and just remembered it! http://www.gangshow.com/global/homepage/globalhome.php maybe contact some of these as well!!!

HTH

Thanks
    as well as gang shows in the district. our group is unique being that for the past seven years we put on our own pantomimes - the latest being weekend before last.. PM meif you want me to send some scripts etcfor ideas. photos can be found on our website at www.2nddurrington.org.uk
    Scott Walton

Thanks
    Jshirra, I take your point about a gang show basically being a pantomime. I was thinking of the two being different because of the cast sizes. In a traditional pantomime, I would expect there to be around 10-15 main characters, supported by a chorus. I got the impression that a typical gang show would involve many more people, although there wouldn’t be a set number of main parts. (all of the parts would be fairly equivalent).

Thank you for the links to the fact sheets on Scoutbase, I had already seen them, but take the first for example, there are 586 items, so I really wouldn’t know where to start!

This is why I think a straight forward pantomime (if that exists!) would be better for our district. There would be fewer people to co-ordinate, which could make it easier for rehearsals, and I don’t know if we would get enough people interested for a large cast production. Although a pantomime with 15 main characters would mean a lot of script learning for those playing the main leads, which could a be a problem.

Scottw, thanks, a PM is on its way!

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jshirra View Post
    a Gang show is a pantomime!!!!
    I wish our district's was - its more like a bl**dy dance show

Thanks
    We do a show called Top of The Flops

Our kids just pretend to be the band / artist whilst we play the song

Take a few rehersals and a good lighting / sound setup to make the show.

Much easier than a gang show, the parents and supports still have a great time seeing their kids on stage.

Makes us loads of money to give to charity

see http://www.3hg.org/totf.html for pictures etc.

Let me know if you want more info
    Simon,

3rd Hazel Grove Scout Group, www.3hg.org

"A committee is a group of people who individually can do nothing but together can decide that nothing can be done."
    ~ Fred Allen ~

Sound like your Exec?

Thanks
    Alex - email sent let me know if you need in a different formatthat is all the files i have on my pc the rest are hard coppies, will try get time to scan in to pdf's for you.
    Scott Walton