Thread: Window of Recognition

Thanks

Window of Recognition

Is anyone else going to the opening ceremony on 22nd Feb? I did a forum search and nothing came up so I'm guessing not! If your group donated and qualified to have their name put on unfortunately the response was such that only individual donations could be invited.

Lord Baden-Powell will unveil the window and a chap called Aidan Jones will do a talk on how the money is being used and then a guided tour and a nosebag. Other special guests will be there, hmmmm.

PS If anyone has got their name/ group on the WOR but can't be there I'll gladly try and take a pic of your entry...for a cash donation of course! LOL :-D
    Last edited by Mang; 13-01-2007 at 09:55 PM.
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    Well the day arrived (not been counting down nor nuffink). If you know Gilwell it's through the main entrance past the B-P bust and right into the training building. Most of the audience were of, shall we say, retired age.

There were several speakers, including Baden-Powell's grandson and, fresh from the London Eye, Peter Duncan (one speaker made the comment that PD and BP would have really got on). The appeal is still growing and has raised over half a million pounds and, for the first time in Jamboree history, guarantees a representative from every Scouting country which means that there will be over 40,000 people at the Jambo. 200 people got tickets for the unveiling and just short of 2000 names went on the window.

We then piled outside in the rain to see Lord Baden-Powell unveil the window around the back of the training centre-they stepped down to mingle-cue bunfight for their attention (I turned into a bit of a tourist *blush*) and to see the names close up...And guess What? I went to see my name and to see my group's too...They'd only missed my group off!! Luckily there's one space left at the bottom of the Ws. Looks like a trip back, lucky I live closeish and hadn't come down from Scotland (a couple of people had).

The invites said casual but smart-I thought it's uniform for me today of all days! Very few others did which was a tad disappointing. The comment in a media thread elsewhere on escouts mentioned Peter Duncan wearing a sweatshirt, I got the impression from him that he doesn't care for formal and when I asked him if I could have a formal photo he said he doesn't like portraits so perhaps a clue to why we have a poor official photo(?).

After a spot of light lunch there was an option of guided tours (very muddy). I decided to call it a day as I'd brought my long suffering wife (bless her). I'd taken my Centenary flag and got Lord BP and PD to sign it, this will resurface on Brownsea on Aug 1st.

I left thinking isn't Scouting brill.

I've put a small selection of pics on the follwing link. I'll add others in due course.
    http://www.2wsm.org.uk/default.asp?contentID=519
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.

Thanks
    Glad to hear you had a good day. It's nice when you get that 'I love scouting' feeling

It is a shame about the lack of uniforms - there seems to be a move away from wearing them these days. Something about them not being trendy!!! I just console myself with the thought its probably about as trendy as the rest of my wardrobe.

Thanks
    Looks like you had a good day, and looked a lot smarter than the chief scout. Its a shame your groups name was missed off the window, will they be sorting this out for you?

We will hopefully be going to Gillwell for the Beaver/Cub fun days, so may see it then.
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    Really pleased you had a good day. I thought PD looked quite tired on the TV this morning.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Its a shame your groups name was missed off the window, will they be sorting this out for you?
    Loads of apologising from those there and my request for a refund of £6,000 was politely turned down (we paid £101 ). I'm assured it will be added and it will only muck up the w running order luckily.

Quote Originally Posted by ninthskip View Post
    I thought PD looked quite tired on the TV this morning.
    Bless him, he did in the flesh since he was probably up at 03.30 too. And then we all wanted a piece of him too!

Thanks
    I've finished loading the images onto the window of recognition of page of our group website (URL below), basically more Peter Duncan and Lord Baden-Powell images plus some of the grounds.

I've also linked the scouts.org.uk report on the ceremony although it doesn't tell you much more than I've put to be honest (shows I was listening!).

When I get a moment I may try and size one of Mr Duncan for our hall since the official one is small and not very good. I'll post it on our site if I do.

Thanks
    For what it is worth, I like the picture of PD that you have put next to the wall, not the one of him clapping,the other one!

Thanks
    We went to Gilwell this summer, and tried to find this window in the dark, and was not successful.

Can someone give me directions to the window, in a simple way, due to only visiting Gilwell once, or pin point it on google.co.uk/local

Hoping to stay after live 07. so would be a nice time to find our group on the window.
    Daniel

Explorer Scout Leader | Group Trustee
    4th Huddersfield Golcar Scout Group
    4thgolcar.org.uk
    District Media Development Manager
    Huddersfield South West
    hswscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    is it on the CiC building? if so then you go just behind the white house and you see the building it is the window toward the whitehouse next to the door... on this map number 2

have fun!

if it is the CiC then it was where the OST bar was over Gilwell adventure and where we could go to hide from scouts

and also drink just one magnars for £2.50 wow!!!!

Thanks
    Jamie's about right, it's building number 2 (the internatinal centre) on the map link on his post. It isn't the easiest thing to find and whilst I'm pleased to have got my name on it it's tucked around the back and the windows open (no **** Sherlock I hear you cry!)...By that I mean it didn't feel special.

I scored it quite low on my questionnaire that I was sent. Oh and if you want to photograph anyone's name it's a nightmare due to the glare.

Apart from that it's great!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Lill View Post
    I've finished loading the images onto the window of recognition of page of our group website (URL below), basically more Peter Duncan and Lord Baden-Powell images plus some of the grounds.
    Nice feature page. Some of us in West Wales with busy lifestyles, families etc (apart from Drs took driving license) cant make it to Gilwell etc and use to see whats happening in the real world, appreciate your links, thank you.
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing"

George Bernard Shaw
    [1856-1950]

Thanks
    We looked at that building too!!!! grrr hehe.

Must have only looked at one side of it.

Oh well.
    Daniel

Explorer Scout Leader | Group Trustee
    4th Huddersfield Golcar Scout Group
    4thgolcar.org.uk
    District Media Development Manager
    Huddersfield South West
    hswscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ian View Post
    Some of us in West Wales with busy lifestyles, families etc cant make it to Gilwell etc and use to see whats happening in the real world, appreciate your links, thank you.
    Glad I could give your life meaning! I live fairly close to Gilwell and Baden-Powell House and my mum and dad live 30 minutes from Poole Harbour (for Brownsea) so I know that I'm in a spoilt position.

Thanks
    I went to the Jamboree for a day and I was travelling for four hours up and six hours back because of a road traffic accident. You ar elucky but I live three miles from a village and have dark sky and barely any cars around so I am quite blessed as its what I like. Look out the window no house withina mile, fields and river forest marvelous.
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing"

George Bernard Shaw
    [1856-1950]