Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Risk Assessments

Thanks

Risk Assessments

has anyone got any ready made for activities

or does anyone know of where i can download them from

Thanks
    Is it me or is the advice on risk assessmnest totaly conusing?
    Ive been told all sorts of things and given no absolute clear advice on what your supposed to do.
    Ive been told that a risk assesment is anything from a visual check, such as before a wide game, checking the area is clear of any obstructions ( such as rabbit holes/fallen branches) and then moving the obstructions/changing the 'play' area, to filling in a simple form, and then right upto filling in a form and giving each risk a percentage of probability, then working out the average risk level and decideing if its over a set level or not.

Each time ive asked anyone all i get is a vague answer back.

Thanks
    Risk assessments are just common sense. Simple as that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    Some general written risk assessments for activities you do often are a good idea (if only to cover your back).

E.G. a generic wide game one.

This does not mean you don't need to think about the specific risks for each wide game it just means you have something written down to base this on

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    not sure which you want but this site has some good ones i use the shooting one

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/c...256DB30054233C

Thanks
    Yeah those are some excellent risk assessments on that site. The walking ventures one is great for a D of E expedition for example

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    My opinions and comments...

Risk Assessments are only worth doing if they are done... for example (and I’m not trying to make any comment about anybody) to find a risk assessment from somebody, then print it off and say its 'done' is next to useless. Often people don't even bother to read these things so it adds no safety to the event.

I think a risk assessment is all the things mentioned before and more (or less), one carries out a risk assessment each time we cross the road - however we don’t write it down. All it amounts to really is a consideration of the risks involved, and the sensible measures we can take to reduce them. It’s not about removing all risk from events, and its not about filling reams of paper with every last detail. It’s just about being sensible – and nearly all leaders are sensible.

The problems we have these days is that all this natural thinking process (that we all do before activities anyway) has to be documented, just in case we are forced to stand up in court and prove we considered the risks by some parent angry at the fact little Jimmy got injured on camp.

An example is taking kids outside to play on the field (The Activity). We look at what bad things might happen like Getting Cold and Wet (the Hazards) and then what this could lead to such as an upset child or hypothermia (The Consequences). Then we think about what to do to stop it going wrong i.e. check kids are wearing a coat and right shoes before going out on a cold night (The Control measures) and then Its probably worth making a note about what to do if the worst does happen like administer first aid and know where the nearest place is to get the child warm again (Further Actions).

A more advanced risk assessment will give ratings to the Possibility of this happening and the Severity of the consequences before the control measure is in place then concluding a final rating with the control measure in place (Acceptable/Moderate/High/Trivial).

The problem we face these days is that the term ‘risk assessment’ has a stigma attached to it, people see it as a lot of work for nothing, “nobody has been hurt doing tis before” and so on… however some people don’t yet realise that they already do risk assessments, just mainly in their head. I think the best risk assessments carried out are those that have a team of people inputting information to them and somebody writing them up, it is definitely worth talking to all leaders associated with an event to make sure they understand the process you went through, and what the outcomes are

Having said all that, reading other peoples risk assessments is definitely a good thing, it could point out something you have missed, but similarly, the point I have been trying to make, is that there is no point just printing off somebody else’s people have to understand the risks and it’s a lot easier to do this if you have all made the risk assessment together. Sorry it’s a bit long and hope it all makes sense…
    John - Cub Scout Leader, District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Thanks
    jabberdabber

I understand what you are saying and in my own case the risk assesment was used as a guide quite a lot of the information is not relevant to each venue but somethings are still useful. I would also like to point out that it can be very daunting for someone do a risk assesment for the first time.

you might think that something like a bite or a sting might not be relavant when you are at a swimming pool but if an accident occours from it and it was not noted on the assesment you could be held resposible for any injuries its sad to say that in the culture that we live in at the moment for personal injury claims ect as to scout, cub, beaver leader you need to be covered and if this means using other peoples ideas (they may be even trained to do these assesments in an official capacity) then i say use them
    Last edited by John Simpson; 22-02-2007 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jabberdabber View Post
    Risk Assessments are only worth doing if they are done
    I couldnt agree more!

that said there is still a use for the pre donw riska ssesment. If you are organising an activity where the instructures are not part of your leadership tream. For example surfing with n external surf school. They can provide a risk assesment to you. To me what this shows is that they (the people responsible) have thought of all the risks.

By showing me there risk assesment I am able to know that they have taken into account all the risks of there activity and therefre I can trust them with the scouts. At the end of the day the are more qualified to know the risks of surfing than me.

Thanks
    Yeah we have a kid from a Council run children's home in our Unit and we sometimes have to provide written risk assessments to them for them to get approval for him to go on camps etc (****** council paper work )

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

Stephen Goodfellow
    Thanks
    When Risk Assesements were first mentioned our county produced the following: http://www.staffordshirescouting.org...assessment.pdf
    It's in a matrix format and is very quick and easy to fillin... I'm not saying to good I'm not saying its bad but it's something to start with...

Thanks
    I agree totally John, we should look at other peoples work, see their risks, see what they do to prevent them, but whatever anybody does, we must make sure we never just find somebody else’s and then say “it’s done”. It completely misses the point…

The other point I was trying to make is that it might appear daunting, but its stuff we all do already, it just needs thinking about and writing down…

Regarding the bee in a swimming pool, not sure it would make it onto my risk assessment (because I might not think of it) but if there is a chance it might happen and it has significant consequences, and it will affect a control measure then it definitely has a place there…
    John - Cub Scout Leader, District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Thanks
    The bee in the swimming pool is one we have to be aware of as we have had and still have Scouts who have allergies to bees and carry epipens to counteract any such incident. Our risk assessment in this case covers, proximity of Epi pen to swimmer, proximity of phone to pool, accessibility to pool for ambulance.

Thanks
    This isn't something I normally admit but I'm a health & safety manager for an education dept.

There are two points I feel it would be helpful to make. The first is that common sense often isn't. Most of us may think that getting scouts warm and dry after a wet wide game is a priority but I've known a number of scout leaders who wouldn't even notice they were wet. Assessments also help allocate responsibilities - we all know a first aid kit is necessary but who is bringing it?

The second is about the use of generic and pre done assessments. It's helpful to think of them as building blocks.

To take the example of a trip to an outdoor centre for a canoeing afternoon followed by a barbeque:

You might have an assessment for travel on a bus which would include reputable company, seatbelts on at all times etc. This would be the same assessment everytime you use a bus whatever for. It might be amended if you went abroad

Then the centre would provide one for the canoeing. This might need to be amended if one of your scouts has special needs eg limited mobility or autisism etc.

Then you would have an assessment for the barbeque. Again probably a standard one covering food hygiene and fire safety.

None of these need be complicated or time consuming. Paperwork can be minimal - for an event like this it'll take you longer to do the financial accounts.

Obviously if you are planning on scaling Everest the assessments are more complicated.

The latest 'buzz word' is Sensible Health & Safety. Essentially what this means is don't sweat the small stuff but don't ignore the big stuff. Risk assessments are not there to prevent cuts and bruises, they are there to reduce trips to the hospital and lasting damage.

PS do I get a prize for the longest ever post

Thanks
    Risk assesments aren't a problem until you have an accident, followed by parent intent on retribution, and you havn't got a risk assesment for the event or part of it. As has been said assesments should be common sense but how many times has there been an accident involving children outdoor and you have sat thinking, they can't have done it that way. Kids swept away along rivers etc when they are in flood. You don't always see the dangers or react to changing circumstances.
    When using Scout centres we use their activity risk assesments, and modify them if we need to. If you are taking young people outdoors there will always be risks, you cannot prevent them, all you can do is minimise them and have a plan if something does go wrong.
    Its worth compiling your own risk assesments everytime you do something and then review them following the event and updating them. You should arrive at a point when you have most types of event covered and most risks.
    Don't forget that you should also have risk assesments when you are at your HQ, which is where you spend most time and are most likely to have accidents.
    Ian Turner
    Cub Leader, TA & ADC Cubs
    2nd & 7th Welwyn Garden City Scout Group

http://www.wgcscouts.co.uk