Thread: Centenary Camp Activities

Thanks

Centenary Camp Activities

At our area centenary camp, we are expecting hundreds, if not thousands, of Cubs, Scouts and Explorers (Beavers too, but I think they are doing their own thing). During the day for 2 days, Scouts will be free to roam around different activity bases. I am trying to organise some more of these bases for, ideally everyone, but if not as wide a range as possible of young people to be able to take part in.
    I have been trying to think of a whole range of things, but I need some really different, creative ideas!

Also, where should I try to get help running them? All the local Explorers will be taking part, so they are out of the question, I was thinking Network and Fellowship, anyone else? And does anyone know, do they need it, and if so have that type of people usually been CRBd already, and would there be time in the next 2 months to get checks done on anyone who needs it?

Lots of Questions, thanks in advance!
    Matthew

Thanks
    For help I suggest contacting the local network and asking them, plus contacting all of the local GSLs and asking them to provide X number of CRBed leaders from their group to man activities.

For activities, I would find out what skills you have within the county/district in the form of leaders, instructors and advisors and find out what activities they have done before and would be willing to organize.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks
    The thing you have to remember is that if you are expecting that number of people, they will be with their Sections. You could try local pre-schools or nurseries to see if any of their CRB'd staff would volunteer to run a craft type activity, especially if you give them some idea of what you want to do. I agree with contacting network and fellowship. I aslo suggest contacting the local University or Sixth form college for help.

Thanks
    If on a one off an adult helps out, and doesn't have unsupervised access to YP then they don't have to be CRB, although if possible it would be wise to do so if the time allows.
    CRB's are only "valid" on the day of issue, school CRB's are not valid for scouting, which is why we have to get our own done every time, but its better than nothing.
    Ian Turner
    Cub Leader, TA & ADC Cubs
    2nd & 7th Welwyn Garden City Scout Group

http://www.wgcscouts.co.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjames View Post
    If on a one off an adult helps out, and doesn't have unsupervised access to YP then they don't have to be CRB, although if possible it would be wise to do so if the time allows.
    CRB's are only "valid" on the day of issue, school CRB's are not valid for scouting, which is why we have to get our own done every time, but its better than nothing.
    I am aware that this is the case, however, if a current CRB number can be placed on the Scout CRB form, this will speed the process through the CRB. My point really is that these staff will already have a CRB, will understand the need for one, and have the documentation available.

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matt2501 View Post
    All the local Explorers will be taking part, so they are out of the question, I was thinking Network and Fellowship, anyone else? And does anyone know, do they need it, and if so have that type of people usually been CRBd already, and would there be time in the next 2 months to get checks done on anyone who needs it?
    Network should also be given the opportunity to take part, as they are part of the youth programme, and not a service section!!!

But to answer the question, ALL Network and Fellowship members are CRB checked as a condition of membership (except fellowship members who have been in Scouting since before the CRB was established, and like leaders of the same era, are still covered under the old CE scheme)

Woodford Halse, Daventry, Northamptonshire
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSheppard View Post
    But to answer the question, ALL Network and Fellowship members are CRB checked as a condition of membership (except fellowship members who have been in Scouting since before the CRB was established, and like leaders of the same era, are still covered under the old CE scheme)
    This is due to change that all members that have not been CRB in the past X years will need to complete a CRB and This may be a requirement to the warrent renewal.

Note if you are going to reply to this thread about warrents start another as it could go off subject.
    David Curtis
    Escouts Moderator
    Ecamp2009 - All the way with the epolice
    Ecamp2008 - All the way
    Ecamp2006 - (well for 1 night may be)
    GSL - 1st Woodford Halse
    County Media Manager Northamptonshire
    Web & Communications for
    www.northantsscouts.org.uk
    www.daventryscouts.co.uk
    www.woodfordhalsescouting.co.uk
    Please make all support requests to the forum or the helpdesk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    What are the leaders doing on camp? At our County Centenary all Leaders attending are expected to help for at least 2 of the 5 activity sessions

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSheppard View Post
    Network should also be given the opportunity to take part, as they are part of the youth programme, and not a service section!!!

I have since found out that Network are doing their own thing (I think), except those that are leaders in another section.
    I don't know about the network, but none of the fellowship are CRBd (not in my district anyway), and they do very little normally, Wouldn't surprise me if they have been in Scouting since before CRB was established though.
    I'll follow this up!
    Matthew

Thanks
    At the last few district camps I've been too for cubs, each group has been split into a couple of groups and leaders from that group have gone around with the kids running the activities. The ones I went on when I was a cub where just the cubs where sent to different bases and each group ran a base for cubs and the leaders stayed with their base.

The last few scout district camps I've been to, there has been some timetabled activities such as shooting or archery, but there has been like you suggest alot of bases where the kids can just turn up to if they want. For this the bases where run by leaders of the groups taking part, generally leaving one leader back at camp to deal with any issues that might arise, and food and stuff...
    ASL...