Thread: North face ESU - not finished

Thanks

North face ESU - not finished

well i have just finished my the North Face ESU :beer:

[URL="northfaceesu.escouts.net"]North face ESU[/URL]

the basic are finished just need to up-date a few wee bits and bobs and sort out the trophys page and it should be finished for a while:banana:

so i need thoughts and suggestions on how to improve the page:thup:

thanks webbie

Thanks
    I'd say definitely lose the frames. They're not needed on a site like that. Have a look how the site is on the original template you used, you'll see what I mean :)
    Frames will limit your audience...lots of browsers can't display them, so people won't be able to go on your site.

Another thing, images...

At the moment, all the images I can see on the homepage are being shown smaller than their actual dimensions. For eg, your logo - [url]http://northfaceesu.escouts.net/images/nor.bmp[/url].
    On the homepage it's a couple of 100 pixels wide, but the actual image is 512x384 pixels wide. Can you make a smaller version for the homepage? Also, using bitmap (bmp) files is a no no on the web! Try using jpgs and gifs. Because it's a bitmap image at the moment, the logo is currently 576kb. Using a jpg instead can knock that filesize down to about 20kb. :)

Thanks
    the frames are only there for a short while, as they are needed for a college course:P

as for the logo etc i will try make a smaller version and get it up, thanks for the advice:D

Thanks
    Think about spam bots looking at your website, you have contact details open for the harvesting. Think about having a contact script or spam proof your website, with the use of Javascript.

The gallery, it seems to be hosted with photobucket. Take a look at the threads already about hosting the images on Escouts or dedicated gallery sites.
    [list][*][url=http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3777]Dynamic Photo Gallery[/url][*][url=http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3186]Photo Centre[/url][*][url=http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2729]Photo Gallery Scripts[/url][/list]

Other than that, and what Richard said, it looks great

Banned
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=northfaceesu;37582]the frames are only there for a short while, as they are needed for a college course:P[/QUOTE]

Why not just give your college tutor a lesson in the fact that no-one in their right minds uses frames in the modern web unless there is a [B]very[/B] good reason for it!

Escouts Team & System Dev Magician's Avatar
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=owenmorris;37644]Why not just give your college tutor a lesson in the fact that no-one in their right minds uses frames in the modern web unless there is a [B]very[/B] good reason for it![/QUOTE]

Indeed.
    CSS FTW!