Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: St Georges Day Parade (for example)

Thanks

St Georges Day Parade (for example)

We as a Troop only go to church services once or twice a year. Annually we have a District St Georges Day Parade where we attend a short church service and then a parade. All Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Brownies etc march down the high street with a big band leading the way to a presentation in a car park.

The only problem is - the kids don't want to attend. They find church boring! How do you get your kids to go to such events? I don't want to bribe them into coming with sweets. I know deep down they should *want* to come to represent the group but it is so hard sometimes.

Oh I don't know, why do we stress out about such things.

Thanks
    This year we are going to Fort Nelson which is going to be districte event the Scoutd get to do Heritidge badge I think baiscally all sections get to complete a badge. We are also having the oldest person who was a Scotu coming along. And the parade is on top of Portsdown hill and there is going to be the cannons going off!
    1st Cleobury Mortimer Scouts (ASL)
    1st Park Gate Cub's (ACL)

Escouts Award Coordinator WideMonk's Avatar
    Thanks
    In the past we have used bribery - but not with sweets, with a treat out to the bowling alley or something similar.

Last year I dont think we bribed them and this year I don't think we'll need to either.
    Simon

Thanks
    Our district decided [especially as its the centenary] to do something more interesting.

I haven't been told full details, but basically, we're doing it at hastings castle, rather than at a church or theatre, and they're making it more interesting, and something which can get people alot more involved. I think they're doing like a play-thing of it, and getting people involved.

For myself, I think the best way to get young people involved in St George's Day, is organise something that they'll want to take part in. Its certainly working for me this year.
    Imogen eats rainbows... run away children .
    Phoenix ES Unit, Hastings.
    East Sussex Jamboree Contingent [UK 90]

http://scouts.org.uk/aboutus/media/i...ail_090107.JPG

nele
    Thanks
    well maybe find a different way to celebrate St Georges day?

Or how about a less traditional service
    We do our own scouts and guides carol service, when each of the younger sections does a carol (congregation joins in part way through ) and we have some readings by older sections, followed by mince pies etc. Plenty of the kids and parents come. It is optional as we have a few people from other religions.

If you want to have a 'christian' 'church service try and find a church who has some succesful childrens work, and will do stuff like a puppet show or drama which make it more interesting and engage the youngsters. Many churches would be only too happy to try and improve their 'boring' image. There are lots of modern songs which are more appealing to young people. Do make sure there is agreement on content, so people aren't offended.

I think the reason people fuss about this is more about tradition then about religion. A more relevant event with some points to think over, or a film or games to help highlight issues may have far more meaning to young people who're not used to church. Much better them getting them bored and vowing to avoid churches at all costs!

Thanks
    Our district St Georges day service last year, the sermon was amazingly dull, if it was half as long the kids would have still been restless Not good.
    ASL...

Thanks
    Our district are unfortunately doing the 'traditional' parade, go to church, sit still, listen to sermons, watch dodgy reenactment of St. George slaying a dragon, sing more hymns, renew promise, stand up, go outside, parade again.

Fortunately every year the different sections take it in turn to organise the church service, and this year it is the turn of the Explorer section - for the 1st time!

As an ESL I am involved in organising the service, and we want to do things a bit differently this year. We have been given a theme of looking back, moving forwards. We would like to have a multi-faith service, or at the very least a non-specific faith service - we usually have a traditional Christian service.

We have some ideas - such as showing the centenary promo video when people enter the church (located here), a slide show of photos of recent activities in the background, we would like to show how scouting is different/similar in different countries (but not sure how.) We also want to get people up on there feet and get involved - although space is limited, we are in a medium sized URC church.

If anybody has any ideas/suggestions I would love to hear them - there are no stupid ideas. Thinking outside of the box is encouraged.

Also does anyone know of any readings from the Koran, Torah etc that may be suitable for a multi faith service and/or songs.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Try the bribary thing, we did discounted camping for turning up to so many church Parades aand extra discount for going to St Georges Day Parade.
    West Hull DESC
    ESL - West Hull DESU (Isotropic Unit)
    West Hull District Webmaster
    Humberside Scouts Young Leader Training Team Member

www.westhulldistrict.escouts.net

Woodford Halse, Daventry, Northamptonshire
    Thanks
    in the past 3 years we have had a funday at our camp site with a small ceromony at the end and if you want you could camp.
    This year we are taking over part of the town and haveing some activities
    read more here http://www.daventryscouts.org.uk/ind...id=57&Itemid=2
    David Curtis
    Escouts Moderator
    Ecamp2009 - All the way with the epolice
    Ecamp2008 - All the way
    Ecamp2006 - (well for 1 night may be)
    GSL - 1st Woodford Halse
    County Media Manager Northamptonshire
    Web & Communications for
    www.northantsscouts.org.uk
    www.daventryscouts.co.uk
    www.woodfordhalsescouting.co.uk
    Please make all support requests to the forum or the helpdesk

Thanks
    hmmm....we might bribe people into going...havent decided...over xmas we had one of our explorers birthday and he had a party @ local indian. The ESL was invited and all his peer group wanted to go to the party therefore 'felt they had to go to the service' (in quotes because it was never said )...might try this again as if the older lot go then the younger lot see it as cool

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ian1104 View Post
    Oh I don't know, why do we stress out about such things.
    Because we care fella,

Our Scout leader uses places on cushy outings as a bribe...Our Beavers will get points only! We do the trad march thang but hopefully the rallying cry to get up from 800 to 1000 attending my rally some.
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    We only attend St George's Day and Remembrance Day.

For the last year or 2 our District have been trying something different for St George's Day. This year they have taken it a step further and it should be really good. The only place big enough is a hall adjacent to a leisure centre, so the parade is from the town centre to there. The whole "service" is all done by the youngsters - not a "minister of religion". The Explorers play a big part - this year it's something to do with time travel in the tardis! (as in going back in time to meet BP then going into the future of Scouting) After that all youngsters and families are invited back to the District HQ (Copley) for fun activities for all ages and a BBQ. We found it helped to explain why St George is important and use the quote from BP
    "St George was typical of what a Scout should be. When he was faced by a difficulty or danger, however great it appeared, even in the shape of a dragon - he did not avoid it or fear it but went at it with all the power he could. That is exactly the way a Scout should face a difficulty or danger no matter how great or how terrifying it may appear to be. A Scout should go boldly and confidently using every power they can to try and overcome it - and the probability is they will succeed." And that ethos applies whether it's having to tell a teacher about not having done your homework to climbing Everest!

For Remembrance we attend in our local village, which alternates between the 2 churches. I think the main problem we have had in the past is the young people not knowing what or why they are supposed to be remembering. So this year we're hoping to invite local veterans in to explain. We also highlight the quote "tell them of us and say, for their tomorrow we gave our today" - as when you think about it that says it all.

Like all Groups we struggle on occasion as these events tend to be in the morning - which is when rugby, football etc tends to take place. But having said that are numbers are going up each year.
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WideMonk View Post
    In the past we have used bribery - but not with sweets, with a treat out to the bowling alley or something similar.

Last year I dont think we bribed them and this year I don't think we'll need to either.
    we didthis last year for rememberance perade.... we had free tickets for basketball BUT only those who attended rememberance perade were aloud to attend basket ball with us!

there are onlythree dates in the year that EVERYONE MUST attend.....

Rememberance perade
    St. Georges Day
    RN Inspection (we are sea scouts)
    Scott Walton

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    The Explorers play a big part - this year it's something to do with time travel in the tardis! (as in going back in time to meet BP then going into the future of Scouting)
    hmmmmm....that sounds very familiar...our Gangshow did that for the cub number....great minds eh!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Lill View Post
    Because we care fella,

Our Scout leader uses places on cushy outings as a bribe...Our Beavers will get points only! We do the trad march thang but hopefully the rallying cry to get up from 800 to 1000 attending my rally some.
    I am not sure what our Deputy DC is going to do to make it more interesting this year so that an extra 200 kids turn up.

Also I am not sure where the extra 200 kids (plus any parents wanting to stay for the service) are going to sit, as the two churches are full to bursting as it is.