Thread: DVD to Mpeg or wmv format conversion

Thanks

DVD to Mpeg or wmv format conversion

Can you recommend the best software to use to convert DVDs and video tapes into a format suitable for embedding in web pages?

I have a lot of material mostly in the format of DVD and video tape, filmed of Scouting activities, camps, gang shows, our rock bands etc. which I would like to put excerts onto the web.

What is the best software to use to do this?

For the tapes I suppose I need to capture the incoming stream of TV pictures and then convert the files into a degraded format. Seeking your advice please.

Young Leader
    Thanks
    Erm, OK.

First the legal stuff: you really should not do this with any copyrighted material / dvds, especially putting them on the web. The Escouts' team will delete it from their servers at best, and at worst you could get sued by the content provider.

Assuming you have the rights to the footage, for basic compression I would reccomend two free utilities. To convert MPEG to WMV just use Windows Movie Maker, import the MPEG and select output as WMV. You can select basic options here.

For more advanced controls, use Windows Media Encoder ([URL="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx"]http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx[/URL], its the second one down). Import your footage and you can select parameters such as Resolution, bit-rate. I'm not sure about MPEG support though, its been a while since I used it.

Young Leader
    Thanks
    Or, if your footage is on DVD, this will remove and compress it, all by itself!! Its for pocket PCs and Ipods, but I find that it is the simplest way to compress dvd footage into WMV. [URL="http://www.pocketdvdwizard.com/"]http://www.pocketdvdwizard.com/[/URL]

Thanks
    remember that IF it is copyrited then the likelyhood is that it is protected....i made the stupid mistake of protecting a DVD that i made and tried to re-import it...no luck! 90% of programs won't accept protected dvds. If they are scouting videos then they may have been protected....purly to stop what you are doing! except while you have legitimate reasons for doing it, others may have more sinister ones!

HTH

Thanks
    Are they your DVDs? Then if they are then I would use the 10% of programs that will rip protected dvds.

Though if they are not then it is illegal, try getting the permission of the author as IAP said

Thanks
    [QUOTE=jshirra;38262]remember that IF it is copyrited [/QUOTE]

Anything that anyone creates is copyrighted. Copyright applies automatically to everything that anyone creates, you do not need an explicit copyright statement.

(I automatically own the copyright on what I have written here so you can't just take it and post it elsewhere word for word.)

Thanks
    very true chris but i was under the impression that it is actually under the public domain unless it is explicitly stated that it is your property...could be completely wrong though!

Thanks
    [QUOTE=jshirra;38283]very true chris but i was under the impression that it is actually under the public domain unless it is explicitly stated that it is your property...could be completely wrong though![/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law[/url] a good read....

I'm a big fan of using mplayer to do this, but then again that's just me....
    ASL...

Thanks
    Thanks for your help, and yes, to put you at ease the material I am trying to convert is films of past Crowborough Gang Shows and scout camps that are on VHS tapes, and recent films of our scout rock bands recorded on a DVD fomat camera. I therefore have permission from the GSL and the parents who recorded the films.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=jshirra;38283]very true chris but i was under the impression that it is actually under the public domain unless it is explicitly stated that it is your property...could be completely wrong though![/QUOTE]

You are :D You can't use anything unless permission is given (either implicitely or explicitely).

Thanks
    even though you have put the information in the public domain you still retain the copyright, and the information is as such still copyrighted!

T=

Thanks
    aaahhhh....ok lol! clears that up a bit heehee

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Martyn Everitt;38293]Thanks for your help, and yes, to put you at ease the material I am trying to convert is films of past Crowborough Gang Shows and scout camps that are on VHS tapes, and recent films of our scout rock bands recorded on a DVD fomat camera. I therefore have permission from the GSL and the parents who recorded the films.[/QUOTE]

I would use software that could remove the protection, as it is your footage.

Young Leader
    Thanks
    PocketDVDWizard should (and indeed does) bypass the protection on most discs. If it's your footage, this should be OK.