Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where you going for your Centenary Camp?

Thanks
    The weathers meant to be bad Where are you camping NinthSkip we are at Marwell activity Centre We told the cubs there sharing with the animals!!
    1st Cleobury Mortimer Scouts (ASL)
    1st Park Gate Cub's (ACL)

Thanks
    Spots of rain here already in West Sussex but hot and muggy, sure it'll get worse by the end of the weekend. I've managed to get on to a kind gentleman's wireless network who lives on the edge of the park. Went round and asked whether it was his and he gave me his password Popped home and grabbed the laptop. Might give me something (and all the Beavers/Cubs/Scouts/Explorers) something to do when it's chucking it down with rain Sunday. Hope you all have a great camp regardless of the weather.
    all in all it is just another brick in the wall

Thanks
    Taking the Beavers to our Centenary camp this weekend and I'm staying the night (hooray!). Yeah, it's a bit overcast here but we have a marquee to pile into if it precipitates down...and a bouncy castle...and a new play parachute...the kids may get a go!!

There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing and planning so I'm told, and a guy I used to correspond with in the US used to say 'It's training if it's raining'-hmmm.
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ninthskip View Post
    Ok then Jamie, what mischief shall we wreak? Bear in mind that I am not technical at all! What threads could we start? How about ....
    Did Winnie the Pooh gain his camping badge
    Eeyore for Chief Scout.
    Over to you!
    Mind you, I don't envy any one. The weather forecast is not looking good. And its not my fault - no-one from my Group is camping this weekend!
    hmmm...what is the meaning of life?

following that...what is the question to life the universe and everything

er...maybe we could discuss what we think of all the team members....

Thanks
    Jamie, isn't the meaning of life 47? It has been raining constantly here all day, and I am so pleased I am not on camp! We had some friends round for a BBQ last night as it was hubby's birthday, a very pleasant evening. Went shopping today for new walking boots for youngest son, so he has time to walk them in before the Jamboree. Might wander over to Marwell tomorrow and see if Katie is still there. Depends on the weather, although my office is overflowing and I really need to tidy it up!
    As to all the team members - I think they are fantastic! I couldn't do it!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ninthskip View Post
    Jamie, isn't the meaning of life 47?
    that would be 42

Thanks

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by mattcollins171 View Post
    that would be 42
    The mistake is excusable if you were born after 1970! I frequently quote Douglas Adam's best stuff when I'm at work and get met by blank stares - I'm beginning to think I'm getting old! Have none of these infants ever experienced the pleasures of a Pan-Galactic GargleBlaster?
    However, I've introduced my 10 year old twins to the dead parrot sketch. It's going round their school like wildfire. Have I released a power beyond my control??

The Hairy One
    Last edited by The Hairy One; 27-05-2007 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks
    Whoops, put it down to not having read it recently! I did of course mean 42. 47 is my age! Monty Python, now there is a thing ot be reckoned with. I was toying with teaching the Scouts some of the songs, including their version of All things bright and beautiful, until my son pointed out that they would probably sing the wrong version in church!! So am learning some of the others, they are so fantastically unPC!

Thanks
    Yes I was there! Although sometimes I love having Sensory Disordor which means I can some noises such as the wind through the tents also having an asthma attack (as per usal!) meant I was allowed to go and sleep in the barn there!!! LOL!! My leaders were agurging over who was going with me!!

NinthSkip.....Well I was there, and it was muddy but not as bad as county Camp!! Now that was muddy!! Anyway, I wouldnt know if I had seen you! I dont know what you look like!
    1st Cleobury Mortimer Scouts (ASL)
    1st Park Gate Cub's (ACL)

Thanks
    Well, our Explorers were assisting as Service Team at Youlbury for the weekend. Was enjoyed by all, despite the weather. All the activities continued most of Sunday in ever worsening weather, and on Monday, we ran what we could.

The rain and wind didn't dampen spirits (much). We kept smiling and all headed home yesterday very tired.

Phil
    Phil Cole
    Abingdon District Explorer Scouts
    http://www.abingdonexplorers.org.uk

Thanks
    i,ve just got back from the greater manchester east one at linnet clough it was THE greatest camp i have ever been on

Thanks
    A postcard from the wilds of Wales - Brecknockshire had their centenary camp at Glanusk (near Crickhowell) this weekend just gone. The Friday, Saturday & Monday were nice - shame about the Sunday! Still everyone had a great time.

See you all at the next centenary camp!

Thanks
    Our District Centenary camp was actually held in the Local Guide Camp site.
    Half the District didn't turn up. Only two of the groups actually had Scouts camping, the rest being Cubs and the Beavers came on Saturday.
    There wasn't a lot of activities planned and what was planned was a bit thrown together.
    The camp itself was probably one of the best weekend camps I have had in a long time. I was sick on the Friday night , but all day Saturday and Sunday made up for this.
    We marched them off to the local Folk musuem (I went in the van, its a dirty job but someone has to do it)) and as they wondered through the countryside we had set up a few "scouty" bases for the guys and girls to participate in.
    The highlight of the camp was the Saturday night camp fire. I hate camp fires normally but the evening was a fantastic success. Did anybody on the mainland see the glow of our fire as some over enthusiastic leaders (me included) were in charge of building the towering inferno.

Thanks
    Ours was a success despite the weather....
    http://www.plscouts.org.uk/?module=p...ral&albumid=82

SL 1st High Lane Scouts JeanieJ's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bighrocks View Post
    i,ve just got back from the greater manchester east one at linnet clough it was THE greatest camp i have ever been on
    Yep, it rocked! It was my first try out as Camp Leader and my God I have never worked so hard in my life! We're not a very big group but we had all our Scouts, all our Explorers and all but 2 of our Cubs camping. Then we had nearly all the Beavers as day visitors on Sunday. Every Leader was there at one point or another and most of us were there all weekend.
    It rained and we don't care! One of our Cubs learned not to swing on the dining shelter poles when she dislodged half a gallon of rainwater straight down the back of her neck. hehehehe - she won't do that again!
    We discovered that our ASL Rachel is the most brilliant caterer but her maths is deeply suspect as we ended up with about a bucketful of leftover instant mash. I chucked a load of it all over Sonic then realised it might not be the best example to be setting....... We're doing 'Volley the Splod' (see Explorer JIC pack for details) next week and I suspect the payback may be swift and messy!!!!
    We had to take an Explorer to A&E in the middle of the night after he got a bump on the head (he'd been hospitalised with concussion the week before after being knocked out playing rugby at school so we weren't taking any chances) I got to bed at 4am and had to get up again to deal with a riot of Cubs at 06.30!!
    It was brilliant and the guys from GME that organised the camp deserve medals. We had no sleep, we got wet, cold and tired but we carried on regardless and the kids loved it. I can't thank our Leaders enough for all mucking in and helping to make it such a success for our group too.
    Would I do it again??? Just bring it on!!!!!