Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well that's me back

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mediamanager View Post
    Well done to everybody up and down the UK for the dedication and energy you've put into the camps.
    I'll second that What must have been one of the worst weekends to camp the fact that 1000's of Cubs, Scouts, Explorers, Network and Fellowship, Leaders and helpers coped with the weather and the hopefully all had a great time. Just got to dry out the tents now
    all in all it is just another brick in the wall

Thanks
    Does it compare to the Millenium camp in terms of wet and windy?
    We did not camp this w/e for a variety of reasons, but I was thinking of you all. Katie, I was really thinking of you, as the wind howled and trees were coming down locally!

Thanks
    Well there is a first.... it seems to me that Scotland had better weather than the rest of the UK - I know that in Glasgow we had only very small showers over the weekend and bright sunshine on Saturday and Sunday.

[here endith the "rubbing it in"]

Bob

Thanks
    Just got back from a joint-group camp at Ferny Crofts with about 40 cubs/scouts. It was cold and wet but definetely not the wetest camp this year... (Unfortunately for this one I didn't have bed inside )

But everyone enjoyed themselves despite the rain and only one cub taken home ill.

Now, time for "debrief"

Thanks

centenary camp, isle of wight

ours went pretty well on saturday, but the decision was made on sunday afternoon that we would evacuate the nearly 1000 scouts and cubs. what a coincedence that exactly the same happened at millenium camp! apart from the fact we had to evacuate at 2 in the morning then! as a group we didnt loose any tents but a fair few of the other groups did! utter destruction, mess tents and marquees down! even the tiolets fell over! not nice when they were full! no emergencies! all went smoothly , apart from me being woken up in the middle of the night with one of my cubs outside my tent crying her eyes out saying she had lost her fork! turned out she was sleep walking as she didnt remember anything about it in the morning!

hope other camps went ok too!
    Bethan x

Thanks
    Welcome back everyone! It sounds like it was quite a rough weekend!

As long as no-one woke up without their tents i'd say it's an all round success

Thanks
    We were quite lucky in that our camp was only Friday to Sunday - we were originally finishing at 2 on Sunday so to get the parents to come early was not too much different.
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    we camped friday to today. the weather was not bad on saturday but sunday it was terrible. wind and rain. alot of the activites were stoped, or in one case, a marque was evacuated and if the weather got worse through the night we were all gunna get airlifted out to a close by military airfield for the night. thankfully it wasnt too bad and today the weather brightend up. we had over 2000 people on sight with 400 beavers visiting over saturday and sunday. was a brill camp and im now addicted to making turks head woggles pics and a small video on our group page, link in my sig

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Willars View Post
    As long as no-one woke up without their tents i'd say it's an all round success
    ....or no sleeping bag and a hole in your tent...oh wait....you went to bed without a sleeping bag

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jshirra View Post
    ....or no sleeping bag and a hole in your tent...oh wait....you went to bed without a sleeping bag
    Hang on, hole in the tent?! Nah I wasn't that stupid... it was just the lining to the tent had become unwaterproof!

Making me look stupid for not having a sleepingbag is punishment enough, no need for tent problems as well!

Thanks
    Got back from Humberside's Centenary Camp at Driffield we had 1700 camping including 250 Beavers.

Rained all day Sunday but the rest of the weekend weather was OK.

We had Radio Humberside on site all weekend with the BBC Bus, reporters camping with groups and live links on the Radio.

A number of Scout Networkers from GYCNET in where invested live on air!!!

JJ and the crew from GYCNET built a 10 x 40 metre replica of the Humber Bridge as the stage area.

West Hull DESC
    ESL - West Hull DESU (Isotropic Unit)
    West Hull District Webmaster
    Humberside Scouts Young Leader Training Team Member

www.westhulldistrict.escouts.net

Thanks
    Just finished filling the HQ with a mass of sodden canvas, hopefully it will be dry by the weekend!

We had 60 Scouts, 60 Cubs and 60 Beavers on our district activity camp. I was the Activity Leader for the rockets (real rockets that the Scouts and Cubs had to build with motors and an electrical ignition systems - chip cones with motors for the Beavers) it was a big hit especially with the Beavers. I am now a bit hoarse from yelling "5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - Don't run after it" or "5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - DUCK" when a fin came off and the rocket shot across the field. Launched 90 in 3 hours on Sunday afternoon!

Had the whole family with me on this camp as the wife is a Beaver Leader and I have a son and daughter in Scouts, son in Cubs and daughter about to join Beavers. Has anyone else just eaten dinner with the whole family singing the new songs they learnt at the camp fire? A real family bonding weekend even if we only saw each other for a couple of minutes at a time!

Pity we have to wait so long for the next centenary camp.

Nick
    Last edited by Nick; 29-05-2007 at 08:09 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Pity we have to wait so long for the next centenary camp.
    This reminded me of something my Area Commissioner said in his speech at the end of the Glasgow Centenary Camp - "see you all for the next centenary camp" - which struck me as a little optimistic, to say the least...!!!

Thanks
    I'm another one to have been camping in scotland. I hadn't realised the extent of the bad weather everywhere else. We had a glorious saturday and it rained on sunday, enough to soak the canvas but not to need evacuation.

Thanks
    We went over to Sconce campsite near Baildon (near Bradford ish) and the weather was fine for the weekend except for some showers on suday morning. Didn't realise how lucky we'd been until I read about some of the camps in the South.

Simon
    Simon Donohue