Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch Out Devon !!

Thanks

Watch Out Devon !!

I'm off to Devon for a few days, a cross between work and play. The other half is working and I'm playing Hoping to bag a few Tors and a couple of letterboxes as well. (Letterboxes are the original geo-cacheing !) The Army isn't using the Okehampton Ranges this week so Yes Tor and High Wiillhowes are on the list (highest point on Dartmoor). Leaving the GPS at home and going back to map and compass as I'm getting a bit rusty.

Yes Tor has always been somewhere I have tried to get to since 1978 when YES brought out the Album Tormato where there is a map of Yes Tor and the words "Yes Tor is situated two-and-a-half miles from Okehampton, Devon in England. On a clear day, from the top, you can see far away places with strange sounding names."

I'll post pictures on my return.
    all in all it is just another brick in the wall

Thanks
    another letterboxer how many do you have, i have about 850. our group go letterboxing a couple times a year. we havnt been since january unfortuently. are you a mamber of the letterboxing club? we also have put out charity walks for a group, i think were putting one out in october theres some nice spots on dartmoor near Oke where our family used to go for picnics near a little stream

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kira View Post
    another letterboxer how many do you have, i have about 850. our group go letterboxing a couple times a year. we havnt been since january unfortuently. are you a mamber of the letterboxing club? we also have put out charity walks for a group, i think were putting one out in october theres some nice spots on dartmoor near Oke where our family used to go for picnics near a little stream
    Not that many Don't really get much chance to do it. We did six over two days a few years ago as part of a D of E training hike. I glean what information I can get over the internet and it's the challenge of finding them just by map and compass. I'm staying on the Devon/Cornish borders so watch out for the flying brick

Thanks
    you should maybe consider joining the letterboxing 100 club, when you reach a certain amount of boxes you can get badges, i think it goes up to 5000, our explorer leader has that one. its so much better looking for them by map and compass, our goup gets annoyed with my dad when ever he comes cus he brings his gps. theres a meet twice a year where you can buy charity walk clues, and if youre a member of the 100 club you can get a cataloge with new boxes that are put out.

Thanks
    Well I'm down here and have bagged two Marilyns yesterday!! (Liittle sisters to Munroes). High Willhowes and Yes Tor via Black Tor. I found one letterbox which I was pleased with because it said it was diffcult to find. SO I haven't lost my touch with the old map and compass. Today the cloudbase was to low to venture on to the high moor so did a walk locally to Lydford Gorge and back a round trip of about 15-20 miles. My feet are feeling a little sore now. I'll decide what to do tomorrow, depending on the weather, it's not looking too promising either.

Thanks
    The weather down here today is absolutely atrocious. The cloud base level is about 250 metres so can't see anything. I've been to Tavistock today, it has a great Pannier market and the whole town has a great history. A mention must be made about the Museum where Tavistock Scouts and Guides have a superb exhibition celebrating 100 years of Scouting.

Thanks
    Tavi has some great little camping shops, got me a fab little tent from there

Thanks
    Just keep that grotty weather in Devon please, we are wet enough in Hampshire!

Thanks
    1, If you pick up a shell and can't hear the sea, put it down carefully and RUN

2, Yes Tor

3, Yes Tor

4 + 5 Branscombe Beach yesterday

Last edited by Dave; 15-07-2007 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks
    ive been to yes tor, i remember the pole thingy. we've found several army things when we've been up there. i really good map and case. it was a army map of the moor which you cant buy. we've also got a box of flares and flare gun found along side a letterbox and we also found a little parachute. we have loads of shells we've bought back , some of them still with gunpowder in them which we managed to extract, very carefully!

Thanks
    is that the beached ship? has it all been gutted now heehee

Thanks
    Thats the beached ship alright. They have been trying to refloat her, they pumped loads of water out, refloated her and then discovered a massive rip in her hull so they beached her again! I haven't heard what the next plan of attack is.

Thanks
    there trying to split here in two, there not sure at the mo how there gunna do it, they are talking about using explosives. over the past couple of days oil has been washing up onto the beach

Thanks
    yer i read about the new oil spilling!

ah well if we want the type of world that allows us to have anything and everything whenever we want then a few consequences happen!

shame it has to cause damage to animals and environment!

Thanks
    luckily there isnt as much damage by the oil than the first lot of oil that leaked out