Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Promise Renewed what / where did you do it

Thanks

Promise Renewed what / where did you do it

I took my Troop to the foreshore and looked at Brownsea Island with troop and union flags flying

We renewed our promise in the minibus on route due to heavy traffic and weak bladders, when the radio announced 8am, we started to say our promise and half way through there was Brownsea Island out the front window. (close very close)

We stopped for photographs and then invested a scout in to the troop with the Island as a backdrop

It was emotional

Very surprising in a mile and a half of promenade with a perfect view of Brownsea we were the only scouts in sight! ! !
    Craig

Scout Leader, 70th Portsmouth, Hampshire
    Hampshire South East Shooting Advisor
    Hampshire Training Advisor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 807 Posts
    I renewed our at our District sunrise event. Although a little low key it was a good event with a reasonable turn out given the time and being mid week mid summer. i think the best bit was each member releasing a helium balloon immediately after the promise renewal which was a fairly impressive sight.

I was a bit disappointed we did not manage to get a TV sorted to watch the televised stuff but given Peter Duncan forgot the words maybe it was not a bad thing in the end.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I renewed at our district sunrise event, which was part of a week long jamboree (SAMJAM). It was a brilliant week
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    i did it on my own because i was a little hung over and was not sure if i was going to gilwell or staying in the district!!

i have been told that our district event was a great success. about 500 people turned up (members of the public) and we also released balloons!

Thanks
    i went to our county sunrise at the eden project with 2,500 people. we all got cornish flags as we went into the arena. i got a little emotional as our balloons were released, but it was a great day. we got very little coverage on the local news and didn't see anything in the local papers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skip.1sthw View Post
    Very surprising in a mile and a half of promenade with a perfect view of Brownsea we were the only scouts in sight! ! !
    There were large camps in both Dorset and Hampshire which may have accounted for a lot of people

Quote Originally Posted by kira View Post
    we got very little coverage on the local news and didn't see anything in the local papers.
    Although I wasn't able to see it, I do know that the H007 camp had a lot of local coverage and I am waiting for the local paper this week to see if they cover it. We were on the local radio every day which was great! I of course renewed mine at H007 at 8.00am and got as far as On my honour I promise before the occasion got to me and I missed my son who was at Hylands!
    Last edited by Raksha; 16-08-2007 at 09:45 AM. Reason: additional info

Thanks
    I did it on my own in my back garden and watched the BBC coverage.

Thanks
    i finally found some coverage of our event in one of the county newspapers. they got a nice lot of pics

Thanks
    Compared to some ours was a smaller event, but we still had 120 camping (Scouts and Explorers) and in total around 650 people joined in on the morning.

We closed the centre of St Ives to traffic for the Promise bit (and we even made the local Anglia TV news as well as local papers) and then had a a morning of family fun ending with a formal closing ceremony.

Sedan Chair racing hadn't been done in District for some time and went down really well as part of the day - as did the free bacon rolls

See more (including photos and a special scouting centenary "cry" from our Town Crier) here http://www.cambridgeshirescouts.org....ell/events.htm
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks

Real Sunrise

We got 40 or so adults and young people up on our viewpoint overlooking the Severn Estuary and watched the sunrise. Then went for a 75minute woodland hike, back to the HQ for bacon butties and cup 'o tea. Back up to the viewpoint to renew promises. Even joined by an ADC and other groups. Went away feeling my spirits lifted and it renewed my belief in what we're doing. Worked for me and most of the others there.
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

Thanks
    Renewed it at Brownsea where the general feeling was that PD (as discussed elsewhere) forgot his lines althoughat the time I thought he'd just started us all off.

Quite surreal doing it there to be honest.
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    austin, have you not nicked a copy of the gazette yet?

you little star you!!!! are they all partners too in the photos or just scouts?

I'm going to get me a copy on tuesday and if i'm feeling nice i will scan it all in

Thanks
    ours was in the village centre very nice ,slightly different my wife was finally invested as she has become a beaver leader

another to the movement

Thanks
    On a boat in Lochgoilhead in the rain !!!!! Still I'll remember it for a very long time to come. We had over 100 Scouts out on the water for the promise and then managed to make a 100 with kayaks on the water. Great fun
    Paul
    AirScout ESL &
    District Explorer Scout Commissioner
    Kincardineshire District

Thanks
    On the beach at Perran Sands Holiday Park, facing out to the Atlantic, watched by two surfers.

Just the three of us, as we walked back up an old lady walking her dog asked us if we'd been renewing our promise.