View Poll Results: Should Scout Shops (www.scoutshops.com) sell ALL badges, direct to leaders?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

101 85.59%
  • No

10 8.47%
  • Don't Know

7 5.93%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should Scout Shops (www.scoutshops.com) sell ALL badges, direct to leaders?

Thanks

Should Scout Shops (www.scoutshops.com) sell ALL badges, direct to leaders?

Should Scout Shops (www.scoutshops.com) sell ALL badges, including activity badges direct to leaders, who it can check are leaders?

Account Closed
    Thanks
    I voted yes because our badge secretary rarely has all the badges we need and then we have to wait weeks. So I have started ordering them online and I get them all within a few days, its so much easier.

Thanks
    Yes, the badge secretary holds very limited stocks and can take can take 3-4 weeks to get badges in. Also, I have to do a 14 mile round trip to collect. With online ordering they're at my home in 3-4days. Less waiting, less hassle and no fuel costs.

The Hairy One

Thanks
    Absolutely. For all the reasons already mentioned.

Lots of people buy them online already, so it might as well be direct.

CSL 7th/17th Radcliffe (Wesley), GM North

Thanks
    Yes, for the reasons stated above . But our district runs a shop open on saturday mornings in the district HQ and it is run by a couple of fellowship members who do a great job . They have also started a coffee morning type thing and so poping in for some badges and chat to other leaders has become a bit of a social event for some. The HQ is pretty central within our district so that also helps.

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Absolutely! Badges ordered from District, 4 weeks minimum - can be three months; badges ordered online from Glasgow, 4 days maximum! Scout Shops could run an online system where your login included your membership number so no problem with who could buy them. They're missing a trick there - but I doubt that the Glasgow Scout Shop would be too happy!

Thanks
    I am too pro central badges, I buy my online from sgs-outdoors, and they offer great service... I too struglle with district shop although I can pick up from the local shop (once I have ordered by phone or email) but I never get confirmation the order arrived or the stock is in... and after a few wasted journeys, I discovered online is easier!

If I have the choice pay postage at cost (which I think it should be for badges) or pay for my phone call and fuel (which no doubt comes out of my own pocket) then I think online is best!

We are all Scouters, yet with the schout assoication emplying it is hard to get volunteers as we are soooooo busy, then this is another way to makes our lives easier...

I would be happy if they created a back pack membership for the young people in each section, that I could input what badges the YP had done, all the parts for the challenge badges and they send them out automatically within 3 days of us saying they are complete! They could employ someone to do our paperwork! And it would mean if a child transferred or leaders changed you can access that person/sections records.

Interesingly that would mean under the new programme changes the SA could see whether we were offering a balance programme (whether children get challenege badges), whether they get a chance to get their cheif scout award, and whether we offer camping experences (Nights Away Badges)... but then that would be thought as being "Big Brothered"....
    Heron
    Parent - ex Beaver Leader, District Beaver Leader, TA and ESL

Renouf Design
    Explore the New Forest

Mayfield, Staffordshire, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    As far as I am aware, we don't even have a District badge sec. I have always e-mailed the GSL for badge requests and I get an envelope from SGS within the week. I have had random bags of badges left for me in the Scout hall every now and then tho, maybe we do?
    GSL 1st Mayfield Scout Group
    And general dogsbody

Ecamp 2008/2009

Thanks
    I believe that Leaders should be able to buy whatever badges they need online as postange is much cheaper than doing the hour and a half round trip to the nearest shop.

However, there are badges that we, as Leaders in our District, are not permitted to purchase - names the Chief Scout Awards. I know other Districts don't have this rule. I think this would be very difficult to "Police".

Our DC likes to award the CSAs as it gives more "weight" to what the young person has achieved, but I know certain Leaders in our District would happily award them and not even tell District that a child had achieved it, which is a shame.

I like Heron's idea of a my backpack for the kids. I can already add the young people onto the database, so the facility is there, but I have never checked to see if you can input badges.

Having said that, I am also aware that My Backpack is very outdated, and this would need sorting before developing it further.

Woodford Halse, Daventry, Northamptonshire
    Thanks
    my backpack is firstly a leaders database but will at some point when all the leader and appointments side of it is sorted and working to a point then they will strart the YP side of it properly and that would me the badge side of it as well so lets wait and see.
    David Curtis
    Escouts Moderator
    Ecamp2009 - All the way with the epolice
    Ecamp2008 - All the way
    Ecamp2006 - (well for 1 night may be)
    GSL - 1st Woodford Halse
    County Media Manager Northamptonshire
    Web & Communications for
    www.northantsscouts.org.uk
    www.daventryscouts.co.uk
    www.woodfordhalsescouting.co.uk
    Please make all support requests to the forum or the helpdesk

Thanks
    curious to hear from the people who have voted no, why not?
    i can only see it as making life easier for the people on the ground giving out badges

Thanks
    We have an excellent District Badge Secretary who will take orders via e-mail and then post them out to you within a couple of days. However, on the odd occasion I am one short (or our B Sec is away) then it would be useful to be able to get hold of them.

Cubs don't understand why things take so long sometimes (section leader orders from Group sec who orders from District who orders from HQ.....) - 2/3 weeks is a long time when your 8 years old and have to wait.

Vanessa

bit of everything!
    Thanks
    I also have a brillant badge secretary, who I email my order, and she will put them in the post, or even sometimes her husband will put them through my door (he's recently retired).
    However it would be good to have the option of getting badges delivered, especially odd ones that have to be ordered specially, and also if you could order them with regular Scout shop products, so only one set of postage.

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Heron View Post
    I would be happy if they created a back pack membership for the young people in each section, that I could input what badges the YP had done, all the parts for the challenge badges and they send them out automatically within 3 days of us saying they are complete! They could employ someone to do our paperwork! And it would mean if a child transferred or leaders changed you can access that person/sections records.
    This was one of the features (or at least, the recording part, not the purchasing/delivery part) that was promised to be available from launch, during the presentations that were done around the country in 2001/2002!!!

Yes - the presentation said that it was going to be one super-database that would mean we could record everything we needed to, and never need to have our own databases!

Now I wonder if that's still the strategy (or do they even HAVE a strategy now?)
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    Yes, because it sells everything else and our local scout shop is only open once a fortnight.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.