Thread: Starting a Scout Network

Thanks

Starting a Scout Network

I have sat down with my DC this evening and talked about starting a network in Rugby.

I hope one (or many) of the wonderful escouters might answer me a few questions and perhaps shed some light over what works.

So here goes...

1. Meeting Intervals - Do you meet regularly/occasionally or just when the need arises.

2. Programme - What works best, some ideas here please. Is there anything that just worked really really well?

3. Other activities - I know there are a lot of available activities, but how many and what type do you supliement them with.

4. Recruitment - Any tips that have worked well.

Thats all from me at the mo.

Cheers

Mike
    Mike

Thanks
    Your DC is not the person to go to about this at all. I don't mean to be the killjoy, but he has no power over Network meetings and the like.

Network as a county section is governed by your CSNC (County Scout Network Comissioner (coordinator?) For you that is Helen Heenan ( [email protected] ) Pop her an e-mail and just ask her what the current situation in Warackshire is. You might actually find that there is an active Network near you. If not she'll be able to offer you loads of advise with your other questions (which I'll reply to in the morning when less tired!)
    Cub Scout Leader (Nearly!) 26th Doncaster
    York Local Network Coordinator - North Yorkshire
    Assistant Jamboree Unit Leader - UK 104 (South Yorkshire)

Thanks
    Got to say its good to hear some questions about network popping up lately!

As David says network is a county based section but you can have local networks within the county too, these are oftn based loosely around districts. I co-ordinate a local network within North Yorkshire that is based in a district but not in anyway run by the district, its a geography thing for us with it being such a huge county, though obviously everyone from the county network is welcome to join us when we meet if they would like to!

We meet weekly on a sunday, though meetings can vary from a trip to the local pub to more exciting thing like ice skating, go-karting or whatever. In all honesty it tend to be the pub at least 2 weeks out of the month for conveniece and the other stuff in between. Go-karting is our most popular event, we've been going every 6 month or so for about the last 5+ years we race as teams and try to get the other local networks from our county and the neighbouring ones to put in teams to race against us. Its a bit pricey but once the competition gets going its a good night.

We try to plan a month or so in advance but this is always accompanied by a collection of groans when i mention doing it so it can be hard working getting pen to paper, but it does make life eaiser in the long run!

Try and get along to come county or regional events not even necessarily your own, most networks have open invites, once you get to know a few people around the place the invites will start coming and it will snowball!

Recruiting - get down to your explorer groups, not necessarily to hold big serious meetings, but just go down and help one night so they explorers get to know you and want to join you, or do an event and invite the older explorers from the area, treat them like one of the network for the day, and it'll get them interested don't be strangers to them, then when the time comes it wont be so scary, to a brand new 18 year old networker, a 24+ year old networker can be quite alarming if you dont know them! (sometimes even if you do)

Hope this helps, If you want to know anything else just shout!

Sarah
    North Yorkshire Network Administrator
    Selby Network Co-ordinator

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    As others have said, it's the CSNC's decision (well, actually, it's the CC's, but they'd be stupid not to go with the CSNC's advice) to open and close networks. Obviously if this is going to be "attached" to a district, then the DC needs to be in the loop as well.

Do you have a copy of Network Essentials? If not, you'd be well advised to get one!

Thanks
    Thanks for the info.

Our "network" in Rugby was sorted and launched about two years ago, from a result of a district developement day. I imagine the this will have had something to do with our CC then.

The network didn't really take off, as there was no one there to keep anything alive.

So it looks like its up to me now.

In response to some questions. Peter, I haven't got the essentials book, but will get one sorted now.

Second question to anyone. Where does a DSNL (District Scout Network Leader) fit in to everything?

Cheers
    Mike

Thanks
    Hi Mike
    I was about to answer you and say such a position doesn't exist as last time i checked it didn't but appears to have come into play with the second launch of the network late last year. So i've just learnt something! ) It seems to be the job that in our county the co-ordinators do, as i described earlier. Heres the official desciprtion. http://http://www.scouts.org.uk/netw...Leader_000.pdf

We certainly don't have them in North Yorkshire, though we do have county network leaders, who have been renamed county scouters as we felt that as the majority of network are leaders too, its was patronising for them to have a "leader" too.

Heres a link to all the job descriptions if anyone wants a look: http://www.scouts.org.uk/network/Net...scriptions.htm

Sarah
    North Yorkshire Network Administrator
    Selby Network Co-ordinator

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    For those who missed the autumn workshops tour last year, check out the handouts: http://www.scouts.org.uk/network/Sco...opHandouts.htm

Thanks
    Thanked 2,160 Times in 1,261 Posts
    Ok, quick response.

The local Network to me meet every week. That's so people don't forget if it's the right week or not! They meet on a Monday as it's not a classic "going out" night.

Activities? Do things you can't do anywhere else, like car treasure hunts.

Recruitment - do link activities with the Explorer groups in your area. Any Unis nearby?

Get them all away to a big national camp with lots of Network, that's very enthusing.

Good luck!
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org