Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Age Ranges and the challenges they pose

Thanks
    I don't view Explorers negativly honestly! I have got two of my own after all!
    I get frustrated I think by the limitations that we have at the moment. I would love for our Unit to have everything you state above. Our biggest stumbling block in that list? no. 6. Through no fault of their own, the Leaders of the Unit are not able to meet on another night, they give what they can, but two have no experience and one with experience is doing her best.

I give what limited support I can, but I have my own Troop to consider as well, and I would be failing them if I gave more of my now very limited time (since changing jobs) to the Unit rather than the Troop.
    As things stand at the moment I am personally struggling to give the Troop the time it needs. I am constantly worrying that I am not doing as good a job as the Scouts and other Leaders deserve. However, on a Friday night the Scouts all seem to be enjoying it!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    I've vetoed Explorer Scouts going straight back to scouts as YLs, at least, back to the troop they came from, they've gone to another troop, and the scouts see them as a YL and not "my old PL".
    I thought there was a guideline that there should be at least a six month gap.

Is this an urban myth?

Woodford Halse, Daventry, Northamptonshire
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Biscit View Post
    I thought there was a guideline that there should be at least a six month gap.

Is this an urban myth?
    Its a recomendation to give the YL some respect when they come back other wise they can be seen by other scouts as a older scout so then theres a chance they meny not get the leadership authority as if they had stayed.
    David Curtis
    Escouts Moderator
    Ecamp2009 - All the way with the epolice
    Ecamp2008 - All the way
    Ecamp2006 - (well for 1 night may be)
    GSL - 1st Woodford Halse
    County Media Manager Northamptonshire
    Web & Communications for
    www.northantsscouts.org.uk
    www.daventryscouts.co.uk
    www.woodfordhalsescouting.co.uk
    Please make all support requests to the forum or the helpdesk

Thanks
    all of the 'rules' in the YL handbook are actually recommendations (but SA recommendations are very good advice to follow)

so they do say that a YL shouldn't go back to the same section straight after scouts but maybe a different section or group.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisuk View Post
    Its a recomendation to give the YL some respect when they come back other wise they can be seen by other scouts as a older scout so then theres a chance they meny not get the leadership authority as if they had stayed.
    Ah OK, so it isn't a myth then. I don't distinguish between guideliness and recommendations.

Thanks
    I do agree it is only a myth but most leaders and/or groups follow this practise of not letting Explorers back into Scouts as young leaders. This being my pet rant as we feed the district explorer unit so at 141/2 we loose all our experienced scouts. They then are farmed out to various cub packs and beaver colonys were they do do a greay job but the Scout section still has to struggle to find new leaders.

ASL, 81st St Bartholomews (South Belfast)

CEOP Ambassador
    Belfast County Safeguarding Awarness Co-ordinator
    Northern Ireland Scouts Core Team Member

Camp 2008/09

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Thanks
    But- it's not a myth. It may be a misunderstood guideline if they're being actively discouraged from going back after the 6 months have elapsed...

We were always invited back to group camp, it always worked badly for us. We don't promote the group camp any more, we let them know it's happening.

Thanks
    note to self - read posts properly.

Group camp worked badly, let me guess, Explorers used a cheap slave labour with no program content for them.

My problem seems to be that I believe Explorers is probably the best way of keeping the YP in the movement, but being a selfish scout leader, explorers (not intentially) ignore the scout section when it comes to be a young leader involved in helping in a section.

CEOP Ambassador

Camp 2008/09

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Thanks
    maybe you could focus on setting up an explorer unit attached to your group? are you very desperate for leaders or could you spear any new ones to this?

then you would have an ESU that would have their own program and may want to do joint events every so often!

Thanks
    If I spear leaders I will have even less! However, I do spare leaders if the Unit is short and they are attached to us. I have got some ideas and feel re-enthused of sorts on how to get people involved. We are starting a parent rota for the Troop and hopefully this may encourage parents to get more involved.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jshirra View Post
    maybe you could focus on setting up an explorer unit attached to your group? are you very desperate for leaders or could you spear any new ones to this?

then you would have an ESU that would have their own program and may want to do joint events every so often!
    We can just about manage with the leaders we have. Two for each section and one leader does both Cubs and Scouts. Our Explorers leave us to join the District unit.

CEOP Ambassador

Camp 2008/09

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ninthskip View Post
    If I spear leaders I will have even less! However, I do spare leaders if the Unit is short and they are attached to us. I have got some ideas and feel re-enthused of sorts on how to get people involved. We are starting a parent rota for the Troop and hopefully this may encourage parents to get more involved.
    Our Parent rota is kept with our term programme in the hall. I have found that this allows parents to pick and choose what they are involved in and some suggestions of how they can help with next terms programme as they see the range of what we do. This was a good way to rope parents in if its any
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing"

George Bernard Shaw
    [1856-1950]

Thanks
    I don't know, one minute we are spearing leaders now you propose to hang parents by a rope

CEOP Ambassador

Camp 2008/09

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    I don't know, one minute we are spearing leaders now you propose to hang parents by a rope
    Only the ones who know better and wish they had time to help?
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing"

George Bernard Shaw
    [1856-1950]