Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dinosaurs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ian View Post
    It's a little mad as at the last census I am told that 45% of Leaders are female, and the only girl left in our Scout Troop is so good that rather than lose her from Scouting as she can't make the 15 mile trip to explorers she is staying as SPL for six months till her parents have moved.
    Sign her up as an Explorer (paper exercise only), then she can be a Young Leader with you. Gets over any issues that the Dinosaurs may intoduce. She doesn't have to attend the Explorer meetings untils she wants to/can get to.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    Under PoR the Beavers need to be able to swim 50m, no mean feat for a Beaver (scout that is!). District used to drop the swimming requirement to 25m for this site when they ran their activities there.

As a Level 2 BCU Coach I'm not sure you'd ever run an activity for Beavers 50m from the nearest bank anyway. Thats 2 lengths of an average swimming pool. Plus if they're wearing buoyancy aids (which POR rightly says they must) they don't need to be able to swim at all. They just bob up & down until we put them back in their boat. Fear of the water is another issue, but not the ability to swim
    The Roman Empire did not become great by holding meetings. It did so by killing everyone that opposed their point of view.

Thanks
    Surely, Scoutero Sapiens can out-manoeuvre and/or outwit any dinosaur (including velociraptors). If Fred Flintstone can..

Quote Originally Posted by RichmondDESC View Post
    ...roles that are purely for show like Vice President...
    Oh, I thought a Vice President presided over vices which sounded rather fun. I've now struck that from my list of ambitions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith at 2M View Post
    Plus if they're wearing buoyancy aids (which POR rightly says they must) they don't need to be able to swim at all. They just bob up & down until we put them back in their boat. Fear of the water is another issue, but not the ability to swim
    No they need to be able to swim no matter what.
    They are an aid. They are not life jackets.

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Lill View Post
    Peter, Somehow I didn't pick up on this thread and I have a question for you (or anyone else for that matter).

The question is:- How do you define a dinosaur, are you suffering one at the moment and how would you like to see them sorted?

I'm sure there's a long list of adults who need a kick up the butt but couldn't the dinosaur definition just be someone else's opinion of that person? For instance, if I thought someone had an attitude when actually they were sound and it was me with the attitude towards them they would be wheeled away if the SA dealt with 'dinosaurs'. Isn't it something that perhaps needs sorting at local level?
    Dinosaur n. something that is unwieldy in size, anachronistically outmoded, or unable to adapt to change

Related to Scouting, dinosaurs in positions of power destroy Scouting by putting up barriers, ignoring all rules and documentation, and doing stuff how they think they remember it was done in their day. Some deliberately obstruct anybody that doesn't think the same way. Worst, some will deliberately obstruct anyone and anything which is not "in" with their little group!

Note that this is not against traditionalism. I am a massive advocate of "traditional" activities like pioneering (and jealous of the sweedish constructions at the jamboree), backwoods skills etc.

I know some fantastic older people who are in their 70s/80s, yet can build an assult course from ropes and poles in woodland, all 10ft off the ground! (And no safety harness in sight - they've never had an injury though, because they do things very meticulously) But yet I know some people in their early 20s who are more interested in doing things by [their, often wrong, interpretation of] the book.

Yes, I'm suffering more than one. Some here are so bad that they only way to sort them would be to promote them to somewhere like vice president. I do think TSA needs to take a top-down stance though - you need to recruit County Commissioners who are strong enough to deal with dinosaur District Commissioners, who are in turn strong enough to deal with dinosaurs in districs and groups. Now, where's that meteorite??
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ian View Post
    It's a little mad as at the last census I am told that 45% of Leaders are female, and the only girl left in our Scout Troop is so good that rather than lose her from Scouting as she can't make the 15 mile trip to explorers she is staying as SPL for six months till her parents have moved.
    There is no requirement for an Explorer Young Leader to attend an Explorer Unit (although it is a good idea!) my own oldest son is an Explorer YL for our Cub Pack and does not attend Explorer meetings at all. He has on occasion made up numbers for Explorer team competitions if they are short, but does not wish to take part in the Explorer programme.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ninthskip View Post
    There is no requirement for an Explorer Young Leader to attend an Explorer Unit (although it is a good idea!) my own oldest son is an Explorer YL for our Cub Pack and does not attend Explorer meetings at all. He has on occasion made up numbers for Explorer team competitions if they are short, but does not wish to take part in the Explorer programme.
    Thanks for that, it explains how our young leader does it as well
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny E View Post
    Good for you Chug. At our Cub camp a couple of weeks ago one of the girls was sick at 10.30pm on the Saturday evening - clearly a bug of some sort. In between throwing up she was begging me not to call her Mum because she didn't want to go home. I'm afraid I couldn't imagine any of the boys having been as determined!

I did call Mum (of course) but the girl bounced back to camp next morning, determined not to miss a minute of the fun.

Oh, and the first 7 Cubs to sign up for camp were all of the girls in the Pack.
    Funnily enough I do understand why some people are against girls in Scouting, and you aren't going to change there opinions. My beef with the guy was that he was forcing out fellow Scouts, regardless of there gender they were Scouts.

Remember; Some people are like "Slinky's". Worthless, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Mrs Chug has earnt her woodbeads

WWW.RAMILLIES-ESSU.ORG.UK

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSheppard View Post
    I do think TSA needs to take a top-down stance though - you need to recruit County Commissioners who are strong enough to deal with dinosaur District Commissioners, who are in turn strong enough to deal with dinosaurs in districs and groups.
    We've just (this week) had a dynamic new CC appointed so I'm looking forward to a brave new World. I just hope I'm the right side of the line when the meteorite lands.
    The Roman Empire did not become great by holding meetings. It did so by killing everyone that opposed their point of view.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chug View Post
    Funnily enough I do understand why some people are against girls in Scouting, and you aren't going to change there opinions. My beef with the guy was that he was forcing out fellow Scouts, regardless of there gender they were Scouts.
    I too can understand why some people find it hard to adjust - it seems to be more down to fear and ignorance than real prejudice.
    However, they do have to accept that many of our keenest Scouts and Explorers are female, that at the last Remembrance Parade three Scouts turned up and they were all female, that when it came to plucking a Partridge more boys were squeemish than girls, etc.
    If you accept that Scouts is still seen as a male orientated organisation then the girls you get tend to be the more committed, up for anything types who turn out for all the camps, go to the parades, volunteer to be young spokespersons, etc. Good luck to them!
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    JeanieJ
    I had an 'exchange of views' with an Akela from another group in our district at the Cub swimming gala on Saturday when I heard him gleefully exclaim that there weren't any girls taking part and wasn't that brilliant!! It's hard to believe that htese people are still out there - but I'm afraid they are.
    As my Troop is all male at the moment I can only sympathise with the other Akela. Now that we've got girls in the Scout section the lads don't get a look in at the swimming gala. The girls upper body strength kicks in at a much younger age - and they kick the lads butts!
    Last edited by johnmcmahon; 12-10-2007 at 09:24 PM. Reason: carnt spel

Thanks
    In with this discussion though, we should bear in mind parents views. I have boys and girls in my Troop. I also have parents who have said that they do not agree with girls being in Scouting as it was the one place where their sons could be just with boys. I have several Scouts who have only sisters (one has 4!) and his parent was keen for him to have male company of his own age.

Thanks
    Hilary, i can kinda see where they are coming from but then it may seem like boys and girls have to be separate outside of school!

a social occasion with both boys and girls must be a good thing for this child!

Thanks
    the parents argument was that they are in a mixed school and have social opportunities there. Like I said, this came from the parents not from me.

nele
    Thanks
    Well I had a parent who had that argument too. But the kids also played rugby and hockey in single sex teams. So really I think there are other opportunities

Anyway we had 1 girl to 35 boys then, and now have 3 grls to 35 boys, so still over whelmingly male.

There is a large and active guide section which explains this. Those girls who're in scouting really want to be there.