Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dinosaurs

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks

Dinosaurs

What is being done nationally to help dinosaurs (bearing mind that this is an attitude, not an age!) in Scouting to become extinct?
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSheppard View Post
    (bearing mind that this is an attitude, not an age!)
    Was involved in a training course recently where 1, young (early 20s) participant was reluctant to do anything that wasn't in the Original Wolf Cub Handbook.

Scary really to think that there are people that think like that.

Phil
    Phil Cole
    Abingdon District Explorer Scouts
    http://www.abingdonexplorers.org.uk

Its only an hour a week.. RedSquirrel's Avatar
    Thanks
    i was thinking of planning a dino-themed camp..maybe they could all come along to that!!!
    There's no such thing as bad weather...just the wrong clothing

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 786 Posts
    Phil that is pretty strange given he wouldn't have even used the original Wolf Cub handbook himself as a Cub (unless he was in a Baden-Powell Scouts Cub Pack I suppose)

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Yep. He was a little strange. I think most of us involved in the course went away after and looked at the website for the Group and Pack (which the participant had put together). The Pack still has this for uniform:
    1. Dark green long sleeved jumper
    2. Correctly rolled and ironed group scarf.
    3. Navy blue or grey short trousers
    4. Knee-length turn-over grey socks
    5. Elasticated garters with bottle-green tabs

Note numbers 4 & 5...

Phil
    Phil Cole
    Abingdon District Explorer Scouts
    http://www.abingdonexplorers.org.uk

Thanks
    That sound's very much like BP Wolf Cubs. I wonder if the sixer's and seconder's have yeloow ribbons round their sleeves?

I use some of the older books for interest and to give me ideas and to explain some of the more traditional areas, but even I don't go back to Wolf Cubs.

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've heard previously of a group in Oxfordshire who nobody has managed to stop wearing the old (pre 1967) uniform and running the old programme - perhaps that's the one...
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Vice President (& Former Chief Scout) Peter Duncan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Peter,

I think the meteorite is on it's way.

PD
    Peter Duncan
    Vice President
    (& Former Chief Scout)
    The Scout Association

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSheppard View Post
    What is being done nationally to help dinosaurs (bearing mind that this is an attitude, not an age!) in Scouting to become extinct?
    Peter, Somehow I didn't pick up on this thread and I have a question for you (or anyone else for that matter).

The question is:- How do you define a dinosaur, are you suffering one at the moment and how would you like to see them sorted?

I'm sure there's a long list of adults who need a kick up the butt but couldn't the dinosaur definition just be someone else's opinion of that person? For instance, if I thought someone had an attitude when actually they were sound and it was me with the attitude towards them they would be wheeled away if the SA dealt with 'dinosaurs'. Isn't it something that perhaps needs sorting at local level?

Y'know thinking about it, if the SA got rid of everyone who wasn't perfect I'd get a bit lonely!
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    Austin makes some very good and valid points. I have been acused of being a dinosaur in the past (especially my views on explorers) but in practise our group (with my little piece of input) are probably one of the most progressive groups i am aware of.
    Please remember all you youngins out there because its old doesn't mean its wrong or out of date. Arn't you all glad someone invented the wheel.

Another idea, read the original Scouting For Boys and tell me if there are no ideas you could use in a program to-day
    Last edited by TRH; 10-10-2007 at 12:42 PM.

ASL, 81st St Bartholomews (South Belfast)

CEOP Ambassador
    Belfast County Safeguarding Awarness Co-ordinator
    Northern Ireland Scouts Core Team Member

Camp 2008/09

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Lill View Post
    Peter, Somehow I didn't pick up on this thread and I have a question for you (or anyone else for that matter).

The question is:- How do you define a dinosaur, are you suffering one at the moment and how would you like to see them sorted?

I'm sure there's a long list of adults who need a kick up the butt but couldn't the dinosaur definition just be someone else's opinion of that person? For instance, if I thought someone had an attitude when actually they were sound and it was me with the attitude towards them they would be wheeled away if the SA dealt with 'dinosaurs'. Isn't it something that perhaps needs sorting at local level?

Y'know thinking about it, if the SA got rid of everyone who wasn't perfect I'd get a bit lonely!
    Dinosaurs to me are
    • the people who run the same program they ran 5 or even 10 years ago.
    • the people who when its suggested they try something new go off in a huff and mumble that they've been doing it for 5 (or 10) years and its been fine.
    • the people who if you suggest that you try something new go out of their way to make you feel unwelcome and unwanted.

I'll let you put your own names to these people.

I'd like the system (that they have for DCs) where you can only be in the post for 5 years (with one re-appointment of 5 years to make 10) before you have to stand down extended to all Leader positions (not Assistant Leaders). That would encourage people to rotate round a District/Group and let new blood and ideas in.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    Idealy in a real world this would be a great idea, but the difficulty in recruiting leaders means that at times you are stuck with the same old faces. I would agree that people have to be open to new ideas and should be willling to try new things or ideas. Aswell you should not always discount old ways of doing things, there my be some merit as to why they have lasted so long.
    Last edited by TRH; 10-10-2007 at 02:20 PM.

CEOP Ambassador

Camp 2008/09

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Thanks
    Brontosaurus here ........ I did hear of a Leader who didn't start this game until he was 50 years old. He was born 22/2/1857. Perhaps you've heard of him? :

And another born 5/3/54 who only recently started playing the game recently ..........

When I were a young buck I agreed wholeheartedly with Kastor, but now I've grown up and realise that without us olduns there would be no Scouts, Cubs, Beavers, District, County because we'd have noone to run them .....

Yes, it's a young 'uns game. That's why we have PL's and Sixers.

But we also need the stability of us Dino's.

If you've got some young un's who can take on the following for me, I will gladly stand down;

ADC
    SL
    GSL
    QM
    Camp Site team
    Web site author
    NA Advisor
    etc,

While I'm here I would like to thank PD for my pay rise this year. In recognition of the 33 years warranted service I've had a 330% pay rise and time and a half for weekends!

Fantastic!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmcmahon View Post
    Brontosaurus here ........ I did hear of a Leader who didn't start this game until he was 50 years old. He was born 22/2/1857. Perhaps you've heard of him? :

And another born 5/3/54 who only recently started playing the game recently ..........

When I were a young buck I agreed wholeheartedly with Kastor, but now I've grown up and realise that without us olduns there would be no Scouts, Cubs, Beavers, District, County because we'd have noone to run them .....

Yes, it's a young 'uns game. That's why we have PL's and Sixers.

But we also need the stability of us Dino's.

If you've got some young un's who can take on the following for me, I will gladly stand down;

ADC
    SL
    GSL
    QM
    Camp Site team
    Web site author
    NA Advisor
    etc,

While I'm here I would like to thank PD for my pay rise this year. In recognition of the 33 years warranted service I've had a 330% pay rise and time and a half for weekends!

Fantastic!

Brilliant, absolutly brilliant

CEOP Ambassador

Camp 2008/09

Thanks
    Does a DESC who keeps referring to Explorers as Rovers qualify for fast track extinction?
    The Roman Empire did not become great by holding meetings. It did so by killing everyone that opposed their point of view.