View Poll Results: Where do you stand on uniform ?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely, or pretty much, spot on.

39 39.39%
  • Usually not bad.

23 23.23%
  • I dress smarter for public appearances.

31 31.31%
  • I could do better

2 2.02%
  • Jeans and trainers me!

4 4.04%
  • I'm not a uniformed adult.

0 0%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Uniform in Scouting

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Or you're too lazy to get changed before you do something messy.
    No. I just believe in B-P's dictat- "A Scout is not a snob"

Never call me lazy.

Thanks
    Judge us by what we do, not what we wear.

Judge me by the progressive training scheme I provide, the experiences I facilitate, the memories I create, the advice I offer, the time I give to and for young people - not whether I look smart when I do it or not. If the main thing that seperated Scouts from an ordinary youth group was the uniform, I would give Scouts up now and join that ordinary youth group - fortunatley I don't think it is.

A cadet (army, sea or air) wears a uniform - and rightly so, they are military orientated groups. Why I must wear a shirt with badges on, I'm not so sure. We could wear binbags and this would distinguish us from just an ordinary youth group, but I wouldn't suggest it. I think the uniform and badges are 'swanks- and a Scout is not swanky'

A polo shirt with a necker is my 'uniform' of choice. It is what I feel comfortable in. Each to their own though, if you want to wear a uniform thats up to you, I don't think any more or less of you for it.

Thanks
    If you mean the official polo shirt, that is uniform.

Thanks
    Interesting thread this.

I think the uniform options we have now are so much better than when I was a YP, 20 or so years ago.

Then there was one uniform option for everyone, there were very few group t-shirts, so you wore your uniform or you wore your own clothes.

My cub jumper served three of us and the only reason my brother got a new scout shirt was that I joined Scouts so a new shirt was needed.

Nowadays we and the YP have the choice of uniforms, even down to the trousers you can wear smart and activity long or short.

If you know what is going to happen then you can change your clothes appropriately.

You know you are going outside onto the muddy field, you wouldn't wear bright white trainers, well I wouldn't, there will be times when you have your bright white trainers on that you have to go into the muddy field so they are now muddy, people won't think that poor chap had to go into the field, they think why did he wear white trainers.

We now have the option to wear a more casual uniform, polo shirts for activities that may get messy or be more physical, where the shirt could get dirt, stained or ripped.

The polo shirt cost's less than the shirt and doesn't require me to sew badges on so is better than a second/best shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscit View Post
    Never call me lazy.
    I never called you lazy, I merely offered it as a different point of view to a creased and stained shirt saying that you had done scouting in your uniform, what else would you do in your uniform?

As I have said there are times where circumstance change and you aren't able to get out of your uniform or you have to get it messy, I've had to change a tyre on the way home from work life happens, doesn't mean to say that I would wear a suit to work on the car.

My last camp one of my t-shirts got trashed, which would have been better a £4 t-shirt or a £20 shirt plus badges?

Biscit no offence was meant or intended

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Has anyone else noticed Scouting uniforms always come up smaller than normal clothing. I'm one of those leaders who enjoys a pie, or as I say festively plump. I would normally wear a 3xl shirt, but I can't even get into the Scouting shirts sized 4xl and this is the largest shirt they do. So reluctantly having to cut out a few pies.

Thanks
    I wear my uniform every meeting, although the shoes and trouses aren't necessarily correct activity wear.

At camp, generally wear t-shirt/shorts etc unless uniform is required for something like sunrise or scouts own.

At a previous group, we used to wear activity wear to meetings, and the leader had to keep telling me when to wear proper uniform - for investitures. Its so much easier just to wear one type all the time.
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    Believe in the uniform wear it every opportunity. Wear my Scout home made badge jacket every day. On camp wear uniform first thing then hang it up for rest of day unless clean activities.

Even wear one world one promise wrist band at work as to wear something Scouting
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing"

George Bernard Shaw
    [1856-1950]

Thanks
    Shirt, Necker & Woggle, with Smart Jeans & trainers every week... Smart trousers & Shoes for church parades...

Thanks
    i wear my uniform shirt on troop nights, usually with jeans and trainers and on church service's and other public appereances i wear smart trousers with my shirt. in our troop shirts always have to be tucked in, untucked shirts just look shabby

Thanks
    Ok, i've moved this thread into the Related forum, any issues with voting please give us a shout.
    Daniel

Explorer Scout Leader | Group Trustee
    4th Huddersfield Golcar Scout Group
    4thgolcar.org.uk
    District Media Development Manager
    Huddersfield South West
    hswscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Ok, i've moved this thread into the Related forum, any issues with voting please give us a shout.
    I can't vote
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    ok, bang goes that idea then Richard will have to look at the forum permissions, to allow voting in this forum, ill move it back for the time being.
    Daniel

Explorer Scout Leader | Group Trustee
    4th Huddersfield Golcar Scout Group
    4thgolcar.org.uk
    District Media Development Manager
    Huddersfield South West
    hswscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    I always wear uniform to meetings unless I've told the kids they don't have to. I feel that if I expect them in uniform, then I should do the same - set an example and all that.

Some of the Scout Leaders don't always wear uniform, others do and I have no problem with that - it is their section, not mine. My daughter has never mentioned the fact that they have to go in uniform when the Leader doesn't.

I might add that I do have both a shirt and a polo shirt, and during the warmer months, I wear my polo shirt to meetings.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotso View Post
    tie & tie pin

I wear proper uniform in public with pride.

My wife is not too keen going round Sainsbury's with me when I'm wearing my camp blanket (see Avatar). I don't know if it's just the visual impact or the distinct perfume it has accumulated after 1000 campfires...
    Personally I'd never wear a Scout tie

Good to see someone else mention pride in the uniform

Maybe the blanket's 1000 campfire life of its own is why you also can't bend you're arms whilst wearing it (as per your avatar?!)

Quote Originally Posted by David26th View Post
    When I'm out on parade it's spot on, and when I'm out doing PR? I actually dress down a little. I feel the current uniform still presents a slightly stuff appearance so I tend to unbutton the top button, friendship knot, few fun charity badges - just create a more friendly appearance.
    I've heard folk discribe the unifrom as dull amongst other things so what would people do to pimp it? Epaulettes? Redesigned/ larger badges? A service badge for the left arm? Do away with fiddly ribbon badges? A lemon squeezer hat?!

I'd also be interested to find out why anyone who voted for smart in public doesn't do smart in the HQ

(Sorry to single you out David but your post covers all the bits I wanted to post!)
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 Times in 787 Posts
    At a normal Unit meeting I wear Uniform shirt and necker with jeans and trainers.

I wear full Uniform to Church parades etc and to and from camps. I don't wear any Uniform in camp itself as it would get absolutely filthy and we do wear Uniform on activities out of camp so it need to be presentable to the public even after a week on camp. For walks etc on camp we have camp t-shirts to wear with neckers which is a compromise as it is more practical than Uniform shirts which are too hot and uncomfortable to walk in but it still makes us readily identifiable as Scouts and reasonably smart.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with