View Poll Results: Where do you stand on uniform ?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely, or pretty much, spot on.

39 39.39%
  • Usually not bad.

23 23.23%
  • I dress smarter for public appearances.

31 31.31%
  • I could do better

2 2.02%
  • Jeans and trainers me!

4 4.04%
  • I'm not a uniformed adult.

0 0%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Uniform in Scouting

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Testarossa View Post
    I always wear uniform to meetings unless I've told the kids they don't have to. I feel that if I expect them in uniform, then I should do the same - set an example and all that.

I might add that I do have both a shirt and a polo shirt, and during the warmer months, I wear my polo shirt to meetings.
    Totally with you on that Testarossa - how can we expect them to turn up looking smart in uniform if we don't?

It does slightly go to pot at camp, when I wear jeans and Scout top/scarf at flag-break, and personal clothing much of the time, but that is just because of hygiene. Unless I had 2 sets (or more) of uniform, I wouldn't want to be around me at camp!

Can any of the Lady Scouters recommend an alternative to the ghastly official Scout trousers? One leg of my pair is two inches wider than the other, and they make me look like the original Fat-Bottomed Girl, which I am not! They are rubbish.

A PM will reach me girls - I don't think we'd survive 5 minutes on the Forum discussing "Ladies Fashion".

Penny E

nele
    Thanks
    I usually wear full uniform for meetings, and formal occasions but sometimes wear jeans or if behind with washing short of tme etc.
    I wear a group sweatshirt over the top in the winter, as our hall is freezing and I can't fit enough stuff under the shirt.

None of the kids in our group have uniform trousers. The group uniform lady doesn't stock them, so they have to be ordered specially, and given the weird sizing that's a pain.
    So we ask them to wear dark coloured trousers for formal events.
    After flagbreak they can take their shirt off if they want to for games.

At camp we wear uniform for travelling and flag break. I tend to get them to wear something else in between. Afterall if you're at camp for 10 days the uniform would be pretty ripe by the end! We also have a group tshirt for excursions

Thanks
    Looks like us ladies go for the same approach then - as I'm with Testarossa and Penny E on this one!

As "only" an Associate Member but someone who helps run any Section where we have a gap if needed (so Cubs at the moment) the deal I do with the youngsters is if they are supposed to be in uniform I will to - even though my family roll around the floor in hysterics every time (will they never get bored...)

Has lead to some interesting conversations in everywhere from Woolies to Morrisons that probably wouldn't have happened otherwise - leading to everything from a new SA for Scouts to the offer of a few acres for use by the Troop for greenfield camps.

So if it's uniform it will be shirt, necker and "scary face" woggle (which the Cubs love) combined with smart trousers etc. If it's not uniform but we need to find our lot anongst hundreds it will be group polo shirts (black with gold logo, practical, easy to wear and look after and not too expensive.)

For all our Sections it's usually uniform to / from camp but other stuff whilst there. Full uniform for formal events like Parades etc.

For camps like the one the Troop just did to Norway we tend to get expedition t-shirts made, again helps with ID from afar at big events. The Norway ones were great as we had the signatures of everyone going printed on the back. So those Scouts who've been on a few camps have quite a collection they can use each time.

To help with cost we encourage parents to doante items finished with to our uniform stall, so we can sell at low prices and use the money for our discretionary fund (one of the uses of which can be to pay for uniform if it means a child can then join)
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    We are a uniformed organisation, we should wear it when the public will see us (unless it would be stupid to do so due to wet/mud/safety/etc), for meetings where the members are there and for meetings where parents will be there and they need to be able to identify the leaders.

I went to the Explorer welcome evening for Scouts coming up to 14 last night, since I help with the YLs I put my scarf on (I meant to put shirt on as well but got home from York at 19:50 and had to be at the event at 20:00 with 10 minute drive! Scarf was a good compromise!
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    I wear my blue Sea Scout uniform with pride. I do struggle with the tricorn, but thats cos I hate hats! I wear it on Troop nights, and to events and camp. I also have Scout polo shirts and wear those for certain activities.
    I wear black trousers with my uniform, and also have Scout activity trousers. I go along with the festivley plump angle and also have to buy trousers a size larger than I would normally. Penny E try regatta trousers, or plain black tesco value ones, cheap, cheerful and dont wear out!

Thanks
    Went to the Jamboree as a day visitor and driving home it was great to pass cars / mini buses full of uniform. I didn't travel in uniform but did start at 6 am and get back at midnight. Learnt that day from a fellow road using leader always wear your knecker if not the shirt when travelling to an event as if your lost you know who to follow and traveling alone you can always meet up with other Scouts if they see the knecker.
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing"

George Bernard Shaw
    [1856-1950]

Thanks
    We always have full unifrom, unless were going out to the woods, when the group polo shirt with necker is suitable.
    Daniel

Explorer Scout Leader | Group Trustee
    4th Huddersfield Golcar Scout Group
    4thgolcar.org.uk
    District Media Development Manager
    Huddersfield South West
    hswscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    As I'm not linked to a group I don't have a need to wear uniform each week - but whenever I visit one of my ESU's I'll check with the ESL what the best option would be depending on the planned activity.

Always wear at least the uniform polo shirt or a District Team polo when helping out at other events. I think uniform is an importnat factor in distinguishing us from just another youth club.

One observation I'd make relates directly to the youngsters - working on a Service Crew we see lots of Guides as well as Scouts, and nearly every Guider I know and have spoken to does not like the vast range of options that make up the GirlGuiding UK 'uniform'. Also, they think it's a real shame their girls can't show how much work they've dne by displaying the badges they been awarded on a uniform.

Not saying it's try of all Guiders - but it's certainly my experience.
    Richard Sams "Doughboy"

Thanks
    i feel uniform is a very important part of scouting and everyone should wear it with pride.

for me it varies though

Troop Nights:
    im an explorer leader so i expect them all in uniform. Mine is usually Shirt necker and jeans and trainers because its practical. If my kids dont have uniform for any reason i ask them to at least have a necker. better the kids are there than punish them for not having uniform

on camp:
    Always have a necker on at least and some scout related tshirt. i got pissed off with people at jamboree who didnt have a necker on or anything

Dress uniform and travelling
    has to be shirt and kilt and full uniform etc. i wear this to travel as you get approached and people ask you about these sort of things. yeah it may seem like i want the attention but you always hear people comment on how good your scouts are looking or how smart they are. and sometimes old people tell you good stories

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post

So if it's uniform it will be shirt, necker and "scary face" woggle (which the Cubs love) combined with smart trousers etc. If it's not uniform but we need to find our lot anongst hundreds it will be group polo shirts (black with gold logo, practical, easy to wear and look after and not too expensive.)

For all our Sections it's usually uniform to / from camp but other stuff whilst there. Full uniform for formal events like Parades etc.

For camps like the one the Troop just did to Norway we tend to get expedition t-shirts made, again helps with ID from afar at big events. The Norway ones were great as we had the signatures of everyone going printed on the back. So those Scouts who've been on a few camps have quite a collection they can use each time.
    I agree with you on this! I would also like to add to the fact that for camps, and several unit meetings the activity trousers are just impracticle as all of the scout uniform is highly flammable, and I aim not to set my scouts on fire!

We now have a new scout leader at my group and he has introduced some new things to the group, whilst its great to have new blood and fresh ideas, I think it runs the risk of loosing alot of the scouts (already heard of 5 that are planning to leave and we are only currently running with 15) as well as too of the leaders! One of his new ideas (this one isn't actually a bad one) is to re-introduce the knot in the knecker for the good deed. I was wondering if anybody else does this with there scouts?
    Last edited by Rachel; 27-09-2007 at 11:13 AM.

SL 1st High Lane Scouts JeanieJ's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    One of his new ideas (this one isn't actually a bad one) is to re-introduce the knot in the knecker for the good dead.
    Rachel, I really hope this is a typo!! If they were dead I don't think you'd need a knot to identify them!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanieJ View Post
    Rachel, I really hope this is a typo!! If they were dead I don't think you'd need a knot to identify them!!
    although a knot that tight is something I think about with quite a few of the Scouts!
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing"

George Bernard Shaw
    [1856-1950]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Lill View Post
    you also can't bend you're arms whilst wearing it
    Top marks for observation! Whilst my good lady has to push the trolley and I can't help much with the bag packing, it DOES mean that nobody can push in front of us.

Thanks
    i wear my uniform most of the time in winter, but opt for group T-shirt in Summer. Group polo for activity days.

But at Beavers we dont have inspections and flag breaking and its all rather less formal. I think if you do inspections with your troop/pack, then you must set an example.

Im also with IanW on the idea that a smart pair of trousers (like grey school flannels) is just as good as a formal pair of Scout trousers. Scouting must be accessible for all, and many parents cannot afford to buy extra expensive trousers every 5 minutes for their lads who are outgrowing everything - or putting their knees through them. I know that others dont agree, either
    Last edited by tomahawk; 27-09-2007 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks
    I agree and ask that the Scouts wear school trousers rather than demand more expense, especially as I was under the impression that the uniform was originally brought in to hide the "Class Gap" personal clothing can highlight.

Also we dont have a group T-Shirt or polo Shirt so anyone with good suppliers let me know as our GSL has asked me to source a supplier for the Group.

George Bernard Shaw
    [1856-1950]