View Poll Results: Where do you stand on uniform ?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely, or pretty much, spot on.

39 39.39%
  • Usually not bad.

23 23.23%
  • I dress smarter for public appearances.

31 31.31%
  • I could do better

2 2.02%
  • Jeans and trainers me!

4 4.04%
  • I'm not a uniformed adult.

0 0%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Uniform in Scouting

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Akela Ben View Post
    Has anyone else noticed Scouting uniforms always come up smaller than normal clothing. I'm one of those leaders who enjoys a pie, or as I say festively plump. I would normally wear a 3xl shirt, but I can't even get into the Scouting shirts sized 4xl and this is the largest shirt they do. So reluctantly having to cut out a few pies.
    I was told by my local school uniform shop that the leader, explorer and scout shirts are on the same size scale!!!!

The current uniform was not designed to look smart- it was designed to look active.

The shirt was designed to be worn tucked or untucked. Certainly half and half is bad, but people who have a go at the kids for wearing the shirt in one of the ways it was designed to be worn need to get a sense of perspective.

No, I don't wear my uniform all the hours I am out of my sleeping bag on camp, or indeed when painting or using extreme oil. I think it is right to remove it when you are so active it would get torn. But a small amount of dirt from the ground is not trashing my uniform, nor is it not having pride. Coat hangers are a big no-no for me, if you think shoving your shirt in a bag when you are not using it is showing it disrespect, you miss the point badly. We are not the boys brigade, even though our founder supported them.

And yes I have:

2x short sleeve.
    1x long sleve
    1x polo
    1x sweatshirt

Which is not what most kids have, i understand.
    Last edited by Biscit; 27-09-2007 at 02:19 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    But at Beavers we dont have inspections and flag breaking and its all rather less formal. I think if you do inspections with your troop/pack, then you must set an example.
    I would agree with Tomahawk on this one, if you insist on conducting inspections, you should set an example. I just hope there aren't many out there who do insist on inspections, whether it be for Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Explorers or even Scout Fellowship!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I just hope there aren't many out there who do insist on inspections, whether it be for Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Explorers or even Scout Fellowship!
    Why not, we are a uniformed organisation, we should be proud of it and the members should know how to wear it and what it means. In my view it is all about self respect, belonging and being proud to be a Scout.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    Being proud of the uniform does not equate to holding inspections.

And I find it a little biogted that scruffy people, or people who behave or look a little different are lacking in anything let alone self respect.
    Last edited by Biscit; 27-09-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks
    I hadn't realised I belonged to a 'uniformed which gets inspected' organisation. I don't think you instill self-respect by inspecting people, I don't think people have a feeling of belonging because they get inspected and I certainly don't think they feel proud because they have been inspected. What happens to those who 'fail' inspection?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 786 Posts
    They make more effort to have a properly turned out Uniform the nest week

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I hadn't realised I belonged to a 'uniformed which gets inspected' organisation. I don't think you instill self-respect by inspecting people, I don't think people have a feeling of belonging because they get inspected and I certainly don't think they feel proud because they have been inspected. What happens to those who 'fail' inspection?
    Well put.

I show I am proud of my uniform and Scouting itself simply becuase I wear it.

My collar being turned up or buttons being unfastend do not alter one iota that pride or my self-respect.

As a sufferer of ASD I lack the ability to notice certain things, but I do think it gives me the advantage over normal people in that I am better able to spot irrelevances.
    Last edited by Biscit; 27-09-2007 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    They make more effort to have a properly turned out Uniform the nest week
    and if they don't the next week?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 786 Posts
    The way our Troop do inspection is not exactly a pass or fail anyway. We give each patrol a mark out of 10 for inspection which is added to our ongoing patrol points competition. We are basically looking for them to have a shirt, necker, trousers, record book and pen and to look reasonably smart (i.e. necker not ridiculously creased and trousers not all muddy etc.)

I don't think it is too much to check if Scouts have actually turned up with their uniform and other required items and don't look a total mess.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ian View Post
    I agree and ask that the Scouts wear school trousers rather than demand more expense, especially as I was under the impression that the uniform was originally brought in to hide the "Class Gap" personal clothing can highlight.

Also we dont have a group T-Shirt or polo Shirt so anyone with good suppliers let me know as our GSL has asked me to source a supplier for the Group.

We have used advertees for all sorts -- from badges to t-shirts and polo shirts. Nothing is ever too much trouble (including those 38 signatures!), very helpful and will turn a drwaing into a work of art. Thoroughly recommend them as good value but a product that lasts well through numerous washes!

http://www.advertees.co.uk/

this link shows our Beavers in our group polo (black and gold) http://www.scubes.co.uk/index.php?op...198&Itemid=224

whilst this one shows the Norway t-shirt http://www.scubes.co.uk/index.php?op...187&Itemid=214
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    Gosh we're branching out into inspections........

I don't inspect my cubs, I don't have to.

I can see whether their uniform is servicable at the Grand Howl, I have taught them all how to iron their neckers and sweatshirts and to sew their badges on, but at 8 - 10 age range I suppose I would have to dock the parent's points .

I think a lot of people forget that the purpose of the inspection is to ensure that quipment is servicable, with the Army that includes the soldier themself because they are a piece of equipment. You will always get someone who want's to take it to the nth degree.

Besides we all know someone that can make whatever they wear look not as smart as everyone else.

Back to the coat hanger on camp discussion, I always carry one in my big metal rucksack with four wheels, but then that's because I can

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Besides we all know someone that can make whatever they wear look not as smart as everyone else.
    Oh, Shaun, you promised you wouldn't tell! I do try my hardest you know!!

Thanks
    Our inspections are not about the minutae of detail - just having the uniform on and roughly right is what we look for.

I am proud of the Scout uniform - Scouts still (just) means something to many people in the wider community and the belonging and pride means that it will continue to mean something.

There are (in my experience) a lot of small/medium business men who (given the choice) will employ an ex Scout over a non Scout. What is wrong with encouraging Scouts to wear their Uniform?
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    There are (in my experience) a lot of small/medium business men who (given the choice) will employ an ex Scout over a non Scout. What is wrong with encouraging Scouts to wear their Uniform?
    Great - are these businessmen (and I guess businesswomen as well, or is it just the males?) employing ex-scouts because they wore a uniform? I wore a uniform at 6th form - does this mean they will be more likely to employ me, than someone who went to a 6th form with no uniform requirement?

Our inspections are not about the minutae of detail - just having the uniform on and roughly right is what we look for.
    If inspections are not about minute detail, and just about whether Scouts are wearing uniform roughly, is an inspection needed? Wouldn't a quick scan around the room surfice?

I am proud of the Scout uniform - Scouts still (just) means something to many people in the wider community and the belonging and pride means that it will continue to mean something.
    I am proud of being a Scout, not of the Scout uniform. Pride in a uniform is a bit of a false idol.

Take a look at this photo -

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...ndalay203i.jpg

Don't they look like Scouts, at first glance - I thought they were, especially with those neckers. They are in fact soldiers on the streets of Rangoon supressing the Burmese people. I am sure they are proud of their uniform.

One of the reasons that I am proud to be a Scout is because we stand for peace. I get very little pride from wearing a uniform because I am a Scout whether I am in the uniform or out of it.
    Last edited by Viking; 28-09-2007 at 12:26 AM.

Thanks
    For me - and this is just a personal opinion - being a Scout/er is a state of mind - who I am and what I love to do and be - not how I look. I feel immense pride in being part of such a huge organisation that strives hard to help people and to impart their wisdom of experience on to others. We wear uniform to start our meetings then depending on the actvity - group t shirt etc and dress in full uniform for parades etc. You can still be casually dressed but smart and 'prepared' for your Scouting.