View Poll Results: Where do you stand on uniform ?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely, or pretty much, spot on.

39 39.39%
  • Usually not bad.

23 23.23%
  • I dress smarter for public appearances.

31 31.31%
  • I could do better

2 2.02%
  • Jeans and trainers me!

4 4.04%
  • I'm not a uniformed adult.

0 0%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Uniform in Scouting

Thanks
    Oh dear, I fear I am going to be unpopular, but still.

On a Pack night, as a Cub Scout Leader, I wear full uniform and make sure that I am immaculatly turned out. Group necker, rolled correctly, shirt ironed, badges all present, not hanging off, upto date. Uniform trousers, ironed, black shoes polished - nothing gets left out. Even my wood beads are present every week and my Kaa badge, and I expect every Leader to take the same amount of pride in their dress.

The reason I do this is because I set an example, a standard for Cubs to follow. I think as Leader it is part of "doing my duty" to be looked upto. I want the Cubs, and the Explorer young leaders to see that the uniform has never been more relevant to Scouting as a Leader. After all, as people have said, if I've not got my uniform on then why should the cubs bother ?

The Cubs know what I expect. Their Cub jumper should be clean and tidy with no badges hanging off, their necker should be rolled, clean and tidy and I expect them to have done it themselves, not their parents. They should have clean hands and a clean hankie in case they sneeze everywhere - simple hygiene that I don't think is asking too much. We usually give hankies as Christmas presents to their is no excuse ! The only thing I say to them is that it's alright to wear school trousers, as they are cheaper and more practical for growing kids, but they must be clean too, obviously !

When we get into our activities we let them take their jumpers off and they can wear a casual T shirt which can be whatever. I even have hangers for them to put their jumpers and neckers on (sounding like a military man here I think!), and if I've planned a night this is gonna be messy, we take uniform intro account. When we go out somewhere it's top half uniform, and the last week before Christmas and Summer it no uniform for everyone - Leaders included.

I help out at Scouts too as we are lacking Leader numbers there, and it's full uniform there too. We have a uniform box with old jumpers and shirts in it that have been donated over the years which we give away to members who simply cannot afford the uniform - Scouting should be for all at the end of the day.

I don't ask for perfection, just pride and effort.....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Take a look at this photo -

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...ndalay203i.jpg

Don't they look like Scouts, at first glance - I thought they were, especially with those neckers. They are in fact soldiers on the streets of Rangoon supressing the Burmese people. I am sure they are proud of their uniform.
    Hmm, the guns and helmets kind of give it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaawaterloo View Post
    Oh dear, I fear I am going to be unpopular, but still.

I don't ask for perfection, just pride and effort.....
    We're at polar opposites re uniform (not pride and effort!), but if it works for you, you won't hear me complaining.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    There's nothing wrong in you personally being well turned out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    One of the reasons that I am proud to be a Scout is because we stand for peace. I get very little pride from wearing a uniform because I am a Scout whether I am in the uniform or out of it.
    Hmmm... this is the uniform=militaristic line. It's just as false as the smartness=pride line.

Member of 9th Irene BOAST jediwannabe's Avatar
    Thanks
    This is what is so awesome about Scouting. We can all have such differing opinions about something as engrained in Scouting tradition as uniform, and yet it's all perfectly acceptable.

Some groups (like my own) insist in uniform being up to a certain standard, and others decide that uniform isn't really a important thing. And yet, both types of groups are prospering (at least here in South Africa), some kids like the uniform side of Scouts, some don't, and there are places for both of them....
    Assistant Troop Scouter for 9th Irene Air Scouts
    Developer for the Infinitas CMS

Thanks
    on a...er....lighter note than the debate that seems to be as hot as the girls in scouting one!!!! Do you always get a necker which is uneven? Mine ALWAYS seem to end up like that and it means that when you roll it it ends up all wrong!!!

and also for you Scottish scouts, do you not find that the kilts are a really expensive investment (last time i looked they where about £600!!!!)

and do you all wear your clan colours or the national colours or do you have a group / district / county...no sorry area (or is is now region?) colours?

oh oh oh!!! my post count is now LEET sweeeeet
    Last edited by jshirra; 30-09-2007 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added Scottish part

Thanks
    I believe in uniform very much - I think we are a uniformed organisation and thus should be proud to wear our uniform. I'm afraid I don't think that a polo shirt (whether official or not) is uniform.

My Group, like many in Scotland, is fully kilted - so all leaders, boys etc all wear kilts - which is very smart. We take uniform seriously, so we are all very smart for the start and end of an evening and then get changed into sports clothes for the rest of the night.

I think uniform helps increase general standards - I am a great advocate of school uniform - if you dress for work, you will work. If you dress smartly for Scouting, the kids do take the ceremonies more seriously, and they really feel like they belong to a special movement - not just another polo-shirt-wearing-youth-club.

Said my piece!

Bob

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by weefatbob View Post
    I'm afraid I don't think that a polo shirt (whether official or not) is uniform.
    Bob
    Glad you raised this, I didn't think it was either TBH!
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    I'm afraid I don't think that a polo shirt (whether official or not) is uniform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Lill View Post
    Glad you raised this, I didn't think it was either TBH!

I could count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times I have worn my polo shirt - I tend to wear proper uniform more
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    We don't have tshirt or polo shirt yet but are getting them. Ithought they were for non-official use like camp and fundays after ceremonies where you need to keep uniform clean and dry.

My polo / t shirt will not be replacing my uniform under any circumstances. I am very geeky when it comes to uniform.

We took part in mayors parade and civic service today we had two Beavers, one Cub and six Scouts. Not great support from the sections but the fact the uniforms neckers etc were in procession made it look impressive.

The dignataries appreciated it, the congregation all commented with high praise and I felt extremely proud.

We are a small communitty and there was one rainbow, one Brownie and one guide. They wore brownie jumper, guide polo shirt and red rainbow tabard thing?????.

The Scouts (all sections) uniforms out classed the guides etc and the Scouts were as proud of their uniforms as I am of mine. I even had boys boasting how long they polished their shoes.

This shows me we are not dated or un-fashionable.
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing"

George Bernard Shaw
    [1856-1950]

Thanks
    I believe in uniform very much - I think we are a uniformed organisation and thus should be proud to wear our uniform. I'm afraid I don't think that a polo shirt (whether official or not) is uniform.
    Well I used to think lots of things that weren't true. I wear my polo in circumstances where the uniform snobs would have their uniforms in suit carriers in their cars.

I really appreciate that people have different standards to what they expect in their units.

I repeat. Pride in your uniform means wearing it and being proud of what it stands for. Please, if you think uniform should be smart, just say so. Do not, I repeat, do not equate pride with smartness, this is an insult to those who believe differently to you.

Yes I believe in uniform as part of belonging.

Thanks
    It is interesting to note that the debate seems not to be about whether we do uniform, but how and why.

Thanks
    BPs take:

"Show me a poorly uniformed troop and I'll show you a poorly uniformed leader.”

and

"The uniform makes for brotherhood, since when universally adopted it covers up all differences of class and country."

I do think however that there is a time and place for the full shebang uniform, and a time and place for more casual garb. We all have a group polo shirt for fun days when we are runing bungee running or climbing or other energetic activities that require a certain flexibility in fabric. Ditto in Mid Summer (remember that - its when the rain stops and the sun comes out and you feel hot :P ) if you are dashing here and there throwing water bombs at eachother, a T shirt may be just the job.

I think dogmatic adherance to "uniform must be worn at all times" is what makes us seem stuffy and out of touch - the uniform, while undoubtably smart, is seen as archaic, which is maybe why the dark side (guides and brownies) have gone for a more up to date look.

Thanks
    Thing is though, we have updated our uniform to be similar to the sort of stuff you would go walking or camping in. How is that archaic.

I think many people don't understand the design of the current uniform.

Thanks
    I think those of us who are rather "rubenesque" (although Im loving the "festively plump" ) find the uniforms rather...unaccomodating. For a woman of size 10, its a fabuous look. For those of use with rather more flesh on the old bones, the uniform is not that comfy.