View Poll Results: Where do you stand on uniform ?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely, or pretty much, spot on.

39 39.39%
  • Usually not bad.

23 23.23%
  • I dress smarter for public appearances.

31 31.31%
  • I could do better

2 2.02%
  • Jeans and trainers me!

4 4.04%
  • I'm not a uniformed adult.

0 0%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Uniform in Scouting

Thanks
    i think pride in the uniform is secondary to pride in what we actually do. I personally would rather have a gifted, enthusiastic polo-shirt wearing leader whom the YPs respect and trust , than a stuffed shirt in a shirt.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    I m sure we all would but wearing a shirt doesn't make you a stuffed shirt

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    i personally feel that at the end of the day, we ARE a uniformed organisation BUT...you can bang on at YP and adults alike about uniform, all you will end up with is YP seeing it too much like school and adults being insulted (in extreme circumstances). how or what uniform you wear is not important to me, it is more important that it is on and you can be identified as a scout with it. there are situations where one way is better than another but we all know those...when you are not doing a formal event then an untucked shirt or a top button undone is not going to kill anyone or cause any problems....but may just make people see you as relaxed scouts enjoying yourselves (not that having perfect uniform stops you enjoying yourself!)

I think at the end of the day it is personal choice and ultimately the personal choice of the section leader. they will say what they expect of their sections YP and then the ASLs should follow. If they decide that uniform is not needed weekly, then adults may be the same. else, if uniform must be smartly worn for the whole meeting then that applies.

Thanks
    Wearing full uniform for the couple of hours a week it takes should not be a big ask for us really. We ARE a uniformed organisation and we would lose much if we strayed too far from that dictum.

On camp I wear uniform for the journey and any formal ceremony, other than that it IS hung up - I wear a spare necker for the entire time though, tied in a friendship knot. I use it for all the things it was originally intended for so its a bit of a rag!

Having said I wear the uniform I actually wear Craghoppers trousers & shirt, they are almost indistinguishable from the official items and far superior.

As for the kids I would never turn someone away for not having uniform, but what they have should be worn with respect. I did my scouting on a Manchester council estate so I understand the pressures on the YP but they can hide it as much as they want before and after the meeting. Never been too excited about getting them to wear uniform trousers - rubbish quality & seriously geeky.

I don't think this is a decision for groups or sections though, if you don't want to be in a uniformed organisation start a youth club!

Thanks
    I wear my Uniform at nearly every meeting. We are a uniformed movement and the uniform distinguishes us from the vast amount of youth clubs out there. the uniform also gives us very good visability in public. The Chief scout should be setting an example by wearing uniform more as it people like peter that advertise the movement in the major media of the day. If we want to get rid of the uniform then all we would become is another youth club.

Thanks
    I wear uniform at every meeting too. At least as far as I'm concerned I do.

Thanks
    It is interesting though that when the new uniform came out, polo shirts were not supposed to replace uniform shirts - they were an optional extra. The shirt was still supposed to be worn on all occasions.

(see PDF on Scouting uniform launch)

I know this as I was on one of the Committee of the Council sub-committees at the time.

Furthermore, I can say with 100% certainty that polo shirts were not supposed to have badges on them - in fact this should be actively discouraged at every opportunity.

Having said that, I don't see any excuse for not wearing a smart shirt - even the short sleeved shirt, which is thinner material too, is smart but still quite casual.

After all, the worst thing, in my opinion, would be if we went down the Guide route with regard to uniform - twenty different options and no cohesion! Its hard to tell a Guide from a pass by these days!!

Bob

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by weefatbob View Post
    It is interesting though that when the new uniform came out, polo shirts were not supposed to replace uniform shirts - they were an optional extra. The shirt was still supposed to be worn on all occasions.

Furthermore, I can say with 100% certainty that polo shirts were not supposed to have badges on them - in fact this should be actively discouraged at every opportunity.

Having said that, I don't see any excuse for not wearing a smart shirt - even the short sleeved shirt, which is thinner material too, is smart but still quite casual.

After all, the worst thing, in my opinion, would be if we went down the Guide route with regard to uniform - twenty different options and no cohesion! Its hard to tell a Guide from a pass by these days!!

Bob
    This just about sums up my thoughts on the subject As someone who went into the new uniform I look back at the old adult uniform (no polo shirts then were there?) and think 'Thank the stars I don't have to wear those trousers'. The colour combination looks like a Chestnut mushroom!
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Lill View Post
    This just about sums up my thoughts on the subject As someone who went into the new uniform I look back at the old adult uniform (no polo shirts then were there?) and think 'Thank the stars I don't have to wear those trousers'. The colour combination looks like a Chestnut mushroom!
    I remember those trousers, lol, blimey they were awful. It was like wearing a pair of your grandad's stiff old trousers from the attic. But I think the uniform for women back then was even worse.

Thanks
    I came in when there was the posibility of Uniform Chinos instead of the old slacks. They weren't bad- there was certainly nothing wrong with the actual colour- beige is nice and neutral.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Lill View Post
    The colour combination looks like a Chestnut mushroom!
    thats a very waitrose comment there Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Akela Ben View Post
    I remember those trousers, lol, blimey they were awful. It was like wearing a pair of your grandad's stiff old trousers from the attic.
    erm....how would you know what that was like ?!?!?!?!

Thanks
    I have a cruddy life at the moment...........this friday, for example, i allowed myself an hour before beavers to get ready, travel, feed kids etc etc etc........... so many ppl demanded my attention I had to go in the clothes i'd been in all day. I stank (I do a manual job!) but i turned up, focussed on the job in hand and did what i had to before going home at 9ish after scouts too.

unfortunately, and contrarily to popular belief, I run myself ragged during the das, and get wound up by kids (my own) in the evening. The priority to me is attending be it in or not in uniform. Yes I am proud of my uniform, but I am unable to locate it quick enough at times.
    Scatty
    http://www.llandeiloscoutgroup.escouts.net

Mad as a Scatter!!!!! hahahaaaaa

Scatty

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by weefatbob View Post

(see PDF on Scouting uniform launch)

I know this as I was on one of the Committee of the Council sub-committees at the time.

Bob
    Well we asked HQ at the launch time and we assured we could wear badges on the polos. Just to show we are real rebels we wear the baseball cap as well !

Click here to see Cheshire finest !

http://www.hcsg.org.uk/st_george_s_day_parade_2007.html

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zzbuckley View Post
    Well we asked HQ at the launch time and we assured we could wear badges on the polos. Just to show we are real rebels we wear the baseball cap as well !

Click here to see Cheshire finest !

http://www.hcsg.org.uk/st_george_s_day_parade_2007.html
    So do absolutely all of you wear baseball caps then?
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    The Beavers, Cubs and Scouts and their leaders do. Explorers are a District Unit and we don't.