View Poll Results: Where do you stand on uniform ?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely, or pretty much, spot on.

39 39.39%
  • Usually not bad.

23 23.23%
  • I dress smarter for public appearances.

31 31.31%
  • I could do better

2 2.02%
  • Jeans and trainers me!

4 4.04%
  • I'm not a uniformed adult.

0 0%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uniform in Scouting

Thanks

Uniform in Scouting

As you can see I've asked the Chief for his own personal take on wearing uniform but the related discussion topic wouldn't let me do a poll so I've stuck it here. (Thread moved to Related Discussion - Chief Scout Questions)

So what about you 'orrible lot?! Personally I'm a deicated uniform wearer except I prefer my own woggle (sometimes two) to the dark brown standard issue ones.

In fact I like wearing my uniform in public and often wear a group tshirt at other times.
    Last edited by Daniel; 26-09-2007 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Thread Moved
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    I wear full uniform every week. I normally wear trainers, except for things like church parade and st georges day.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks
    i wear full uniform most of the time at meetings, summmer we tend to wear group t shirt and often if i am helping out on other activities i wear group t short ot sweatshirt
    Derek Chambers,

SL 1st High Lane Scouts JeanieJ's Avatar
    Thanks
    I wear jeans and trainers with my uniform shirt (2 neckers - Group and Explorer Unit) for meetings
    Full uniform for church parade
    Adult Polo and necker for activities or Centenary T-Shirt.

Thanks
    i wear full uniform each week to scouts

Thanks
    Depends on the activity or what I've planned for the night.

Minimum is Polo Shirt and necker if I expect to be running about or I'm helping beavers.

Otherwise it's Shirt, open collar, necker, trousers and shoes/boots at all other times I have my own woggle, turks head. If it encourages one person to learn to tie the knot for their own woggle then it's served it's purpose.

For church parades I do the collar up and wear my medal ribbons.

On Camp it's normally activity trousers, a Calvin and Hobbes t-shirt and my Scout Hat, need to have a rethink as one t-shirt got trashed on the last camp.

I let my cubs wear their own woggles as long as it's the right colour for their six.

Thanks
    I am a warranted leader, and try to wear my uniform as little as possible - about 5/6 times a year. I think the Chief has got it spot on!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I am a warranted leader, and try to wear my uniform as little as possible - about 5/6 times a year. I think the Chief has got it spot on!
    That's interesting, what do the kids think?
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Member of 9th Irene BOAST jediwannabe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Uniform is a must for my Troop. We let them get changed after flag break into something more comfortable.

I believe that our uniform is one of the major things (visually) that distinguishes us from "just another youth club".
    Assistant Troop Scouter for 9th Irene Air Scouts
    Developer for the Infinitas CMS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Lill View Post
    That's interesting, what do the kids think?
    Like minded!

Thanks
    Uniform has to be comfortable and practical- I dislike uptight types who on camp put their uniform away in a hermetically sealed bag on a hanger the moment any flag ceremony is finished.

Creases and stains show you've done scouting in your uniform.

Thanks
    I tend to wear what feels appropriate. At pack nights I'm usually full uniform (or group t-shirt as dependent on washing!) When I'm out on parade it's sport on, and when I'm out doing PR? I actually dress down a little. I feel the current uniform still presents a slightly stuff appearance so I tend to unbutton the top button, friendship knot, few fun charity badges - just create a more friendly appearance.
    Cub Scout Leader (Nearly!) 26th Doncaster
    York Local Network Coordinator - North Yorkshire
    Assistant Jamboree Unit Leader - UK 104 (South Yorkshire)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Biscit View Post
    Uniform has to be comfortable and practical- I dislike uptight types who on camp put their uniform away in a hermetically sealed bag on a hanger the moment any flag ceremony is finished.

Creases and stains show you've done scouting in your uniform.
    Or you're too lazy to get changed before you do something messy.

On camp I could wear my uniform, but I choose not to, if I have a hanger it's hung up.

The practical reason I insist cubs wear uniform to camp is to ensure that they all have at least one long sleeved top with them with some heat retaining properties. If I am planning a messy evening then the cubs don't wear uniform. Most YP have old tatty clothes they have worn out, most have only one uniform they wear once/twice a week.

I agree uniform should be comfortable and practical, but it is also designed to be smart and life on camp doesn't keep it that way.

I have the polo shirt for times when I know I'm going to be running around, that doesn't stop me running around in my shirt, the polo shirt is easier to iron, creases fall out if it is rolled up in my rucksack, so is my uniform of choice for a camp.

Am I uptight? I don't think so, am I proud of my uniform and want to keep it smart? Yes I am and I do

Thanks
    Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,277 Posts
    No wrong answer to this one....for me, it depends....

Right now I've got my Unit t-shirt on, as it's Wednesday, not that I'm actually going tonight, but I am going to a district ADC/GSLs meeting, which isn't uniform.

I went to a DESC county meeting last night which wasn't uniform.

I popped in to Network Monday, not in uniform.

When I invest someone, it's usually on an activity, so I'll put two scarves on, and pass one over to them. No uniform.

Theme Park Camp, Theme Park Camp logo'd polo shirt Friday night, Summit Network polo shirt Saturday, and my responsible adult t-shirt the rest of the time, or a Gilwell24 one if the other gets too sweatybetty.

The AGM, St. Georges service, Remembrance Sunday, bag packing, uniform. My cunning ruse is that I wear dark blue craghoppers that are damn close to the activity trousers. Buying a pair of special scout trousers seems pointless.

I would rather someone turned up to Remembrance Sunday, say, in a shirt, necker, and smart trousers (black school trousers etc), than not turn up.

I realise that lots of people don't agree with me, as they've told me so.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Scout/Cub/Beaver meetings - "battledress" uniform - Long/short sleeved shirt (done up), necker, woggle, activity trousers, black trainers. All kids - same (optional change for games).

Formal occasions - "dress" uniform - shirt, necker, Gilwell woggle, smart trousers, name badge.

Very formal occasions - "full dress" - as above but tie & tie pin + ribbon

Informal occasions - "fatigues" - Group polo, Leader polo, other Scouting polo (to suit), uniform shorts (as appropriate), name badge (if required) but always with Woodbadge as badge of office and appropriate metal pin badge for the occasion. (Woodbadge looks cool in this attire and, in my experience those without one makes them want to achieve one even more..!).

All other occasions - Scouting T-shirt or other Scouty item - I don't have many other "civvy" clothes! I have a big collection of hats too to suit every occasion.

No Scout branded underwear available, otherwise I'd wear those too (probably).

Like Austin Lill, I wear proper uniform in public with pride. Scouting is so much more than a youth club - and the uniforms/outfits are a very important part of The Game (as demonstrated at WSJ). The key is to adapt the right look for the right occasion.

My wife is not too keen going round Sainsbury's with me when I'm wearing my camp blanket (see Avatar). I don't know if it's just the visual impact or the distinct perfume it has accumulated after 1000 campfires...

Knotso - fashion conscious