Thread: Badge Requirements

Thanks

Badge Requirements

Hi,

Does anyone know where i can find badge requirements for the old scout helmsman badge.

We still have loads left and we give out the old style badges until they have run out but this badge seems to be discontinued and i cant find the old requirements anyware.
    Scott Walton

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scottw View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone know where i can find badge requirements for the old scout helmsman badge.

We still have loads left and we give out the old style badges until they have run out but this badge seems to be discontinued and i cant find the old requirements anyware.
    Do you mean the Racing Helm badge? If so it was

The Scout must complete both requirements.
    1. Qualify for the Royal Yachting Association's Young Sailors Scheme Start Sailing Stage 3.
    2. Qualify for the Royal Yachting Association's Red Badge.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    thanks for your reply but no that isn't the one.

I think there are three similar badges.

Helmsman
    Advanced Helmsman
    Racing Helmsman
    Scott Walton

Thanks
    Crikey, thats old Scott. Will have a look in my old records and see what I can fidn for you. Will you be at the Soccer Sixes next week?

Thanks
    Thanks,

No I won't be down there but we have a Scout and an Explorer team going.

I will be down at the Explorer Camp in October on the sailing team.
    Scott Walton

Thanks
    How about the following? I think this is from around 2002.

Helmsman (Stage One)

Qualify for the Royal Yachting Association's Young Sailor Scheme Start Sailing (Stage 1) Award or the National Schools Sailing Association Bronze Award.

In brief summary the Start Sailing (Stage 1) Award includes a practical section including rigging, getting under way, steering and turning, capsize drill and an onshore knowledge section including what to wear, parts of a boat and now to call for assistance.

Notes:

A Scout who gains a similar RYA qualification at an equivalent level qualifies automatically for requirement one of this badge.

Details of these Awards are available from the Activities office at Gilwell Park or the R.Y.A. at R.Y.A. House, Romsey Road, Eastleigh, Hants SO5 4YA.

Helmsman (Stage Two)

Qualify for the Royal Yachting Association's Young Sailor Scheme Start Sailing (Stage 3) Award or the National Schools Sailing Association Gold Award.

In brief summary the Start Sailing (Stage 3) Award includes rigging in the wind, sailing backwards, capsize and righting procedures, sailing on all points and a knowledge section.

Notes:

A Scout who gains a similar RYA qualification at an equivalent level qualifies automatically for requirement one of this badge.

Details of these Awards are available from the Activities office at Gilwell Park or the R.Y.A. at R.Y.A. House, Romsey Road, Eastleigh, Hants SO5 4YA.

Race Helmsman

Pass, or have passed, the Helmsman (Stage Two) badge. Have a knowledge of the steering and sailing rules, local rules, distress, storm, fog and danger signals.

Have a good working knowledge of the yacht racing rules of the International Yacht Racing Union and have a knowledge of the Portsmouth Yardstick Handicapping System.

Show by demonstration afloat that you are a proficient helmsman. The demonstration is to include:

Sailing the boat in any direction on all points of sailing - tack, gybe, reach and run.

Two race starts by a five-minute gun.

Efficient mark rounding.

Hoisting a spinnaker when sailing off the wind if the boat is so equipped.

Have some knowledge of modern standing and running rigging, sails and equipment and be able to recognise at least three different classes of modern racing craft.

Be able to discuss elementary tactics in relation to racing under sail with particular reference to:

'searoom'

'establishing on overlap'

'giving way'

'calling for water'

'the use of the centreboard/dagger board'

'spinnakers'

and show that you understand the general organisation associated with events, including preparatory starting, recall and special signals.

Give a reasonable performance as helmsman in a series of three races against young people of your own age. Each race to be between at least three boats and the course in each event to be triangular and over a distance of approximately 2.5 kilometres.

Notes:

The candidate will be judged on general performance rather than on the results of the races. The races may be specially staged or be part of the programme of a Scout regatta.

Holders of the R.Y.A. Young Sailors Red Badge qualify automatically for this badge.
    Last edited by Kastor; 27-09-2007 at 04:59 PM.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    I'm looking to the collective genius of escouts to answer this question if possible...

Re. Scout badge requirements, is there anything like a gardeners badge, growing food etc? Would growing their own fruit and veg count towards any part of an Activity badge or challenge...?

I'm a cub leader so really have no clue about Scout badges and stuff, couldn't find anything on a very quick scan of scoutbase either... any help would of course be very much appreciated
    John - Cub Scout Leader, District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts

Thanks
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

The Daddy
    Thanks
    Yes the smallholder badge would be the most appropriate one, we've done this a few times as its all rural round here. Its quite popular and often means freebie food for everyone too.

bit of everything!
    Thanks
    We have a couple of farmer's sons in our Scouts, including one who regularly drives a tractor befor he goes to school! Definitely Smallholder.