View Poll Results: Do you thank your Youth Membership and Leaders?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always ensure I thank children and adults each week

8 32.00%
  • Usually only thank them all when I remember

10 40.00%
  • Only ever thank the children

2 8.00%
  • Only ever thank the adults

4 16.00%
  • Why would I need to thank them?

1 4.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you

Thanks

Thank you

Wanted to attempt another poll as the last one went quite well.

The big question is: Do you ensure that you thank your Youth Membership (BS, CS, S, ES, etc) and Leaders (18+) at the end of EVERY meeting?

Any addtional comments to go along with the poll greatfully received, especially if people have ingenious ways of thanking them.
    Last edited by RPeach; 14-10-2007 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Wanted to do two polls but forgot what the other one was, so the question did not make sense
    Roy Peach
    ABSL & ACSL - 10th Oxford (Marston) Scout Group
    "I'm only smiling because I don't know what's going on!"
    www.thetenth.org

Thanks
    I'm new to the Cub section so I'm still finding my feet. If we've laid on the night's programme and all that I don't say thankyou for that!

I would however thank Cubs that have been helpful, done a specific job or turned up to an event and praise any that have brought stuff in from home to show etc.

I do make a point of thanking parents for any help given and try and make it a chat.
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    I only thank them when I remember or am making an example or praising someone. After we have finished I try to remember to thank the Leaders and always thank the Parent Helpers.

Will now be changing the closing ceremony slightly as we have grown from 8 to 18 (was 20 at one point) and have more non-invested than invested Scouts. The changes have been gradual and are an aim to make us more structured and disciplined. We don't have too many trouble makers but we do have issues with the Cubs who have come up.

From next week will be starting a pause for a moment and think and will add appropriate thanks after that so it becomes part of the ceremony. Before we dismiss the Scouts.
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing"

George Bernard Shaw
    [1856-1950]

Thanks
    This is a good post actually. Often it gets overlooked. I like the Association's new Thank You resources - the cards and things. Good idea.

This comes back to the GSL question a little too - I think it is my job to say thank you to all the leaders (especially the actual Section Leaders) who really don't get thanked all that often - it is amazing how few parents actually say those two little words.

We have one parent in the Cubs though who is so grateful every time she comes to pick up her son - always brings a "wee sweety for you to munch on later" or a "bottle of wine to unwind with" - she really appreciates what we do with her kid every week.

I wish more of them were like that!

Bob

Thanks
    Most of my Scouts parents are grateful but never any pressies. Our GSL also has a supply of the thank you cards and ready made e-mails. Also just to point out she never misses a birthday or religious present. Oddly hadn't thought how many un-grateful YP we had till this post!
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing"

George Bernard Shaw
    [1856-1950]

Account Closed
    Thanks
    I always say a thanks to the leaders each week. Just because they have given up their time that night and simple thanks is not hard.

I say thank you to the Cubs most weeks, if they have done well or if someone has stood out. YP's need encouragement these days as so many are dismissive of them. A simple thanks or well done can go miles.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ian View Post
    Most of my Scouts parents are grateful but never any pressies. Our GSL also has a supply of the thank you cards and ready made e-mails. Also just to point out she never misses a birthday or religious present. Oddly hadn't thought how many un-grateful YP we had till this post!
    Thats interesting what type of ready made e-mails does your gsl use

Del
    Derek Chambers,

Thanks
    Will ask her to send (email)them to me she is not an Escouter but it is an adaption of our letter head with thanks underneath and I gather she adds the last paragraph as a personal touch. And have e-mailed the page post to her.

George Bernard Shaw
    [1856-1950]

Woodford Halse, Daventry, Northamptonshire
    Thanks
    As a ADC I always thank the main organising leaders of activities personaly along with the genral thanks as well.

with YP I always thank when they have done things right even if they have been told off and they appologise or resolve strait away with out to much fuss.
    David Curtis
    Escouts Moderator
    Ecamp2009 - All the way with the epolice
    Ecamp2008 - All the way
    Ecamp2006 - (well for 1 night may be)
    GSL - 1st Woodford Halse
    County Media Manager Northamptonshire
    Web & Communications for
    www.northantsscouts.org.uk
    www.daventryscouts.co.uk
    www.woodfordhalsescouting.co.uk
    Please make all support requests to the forum or the helpdesk

Thanks
    i am ESL (YL) and my occational meetings wouldn't happen without the YP and other leaders who give up their time to help me out! i make sure to thank them all at the end!

Thanks
    Always try and remember to say thank you, especially to those who spend time setting up before, and clearing away after an event or meeting
    Chris (CJ) James
    Deputy District Commissioner - Gloucester District
    Visit Gloucester Districts website

Thanks
    At the end of every meeting I usually remember to thank Leaders, YLs, Helpers and YPs - but I ALWAYS thank Goodness it's over and for the relative silence.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by weefatbob View Post
    it is amazing how few parents actually say those two little words.

We have one parent in the Cubs though who is so grateful every time she comes to pick up her son - always brings a "wee sweety for you to munch on later" or a "bottle of wine to unwind with" - she really appreciates what we do with her kid every week.

I wish more of them were like that!
    Do you think you could clone her and send a few of the clones my way Bob?

I always, always thank the parent helpers for the evening in front of the Cubs before I dismiss the pack. I thank all the YLs and Leaders personally as they leave (as long as see them going), and I also email the parent helpers the same evening to thank them.

Whenever one of the Leaders/YLs or regular helpers has a birthday around a meeting date I get little cakes from Sainbsurys (dead cheap), ice them, add candles and the Cubs sing Happy Birthday.

Thanks
    I will thank Leaders on occasion in front of YP especially if we have beem busy or I have changed the programme on a whim! I will thank parent helpers in front of all. Will thank YP for turning up to events, for being helpful etc. Always insist on Please and Thankyou.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,251 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotso View Post
    At the end of every meeting I usually remember to thank Leaders, YLs, Helpers and YPs - but I ALWAYS thank Goodness it's over and for the relative silence.
    The "aaah peace returns" moment.

I usually say "thanks for coming everyone" just after the Explorers are dismissed. Whether anyone actually hears it in the hubbub is unknown at this point.

In the last year or so I have had a couple of leavers email me and say "thanks for everything it's been great but..." which was really touching. I've also talked to a few parents when I've bumped into them or they've called me for something else, who are embarrassingly complimentary and always slip in a "thank you SO much for the time and effort you put in, s/he's really loving Explorers, we really appreciate it." - which I get pretty chuffed about!
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org