Thread: District Certificates

ADC Scouts East Herts
    Thanks

District Certificates

Our District is at long last planning to modernise its certificate which are handed out to Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorers at district competitions. the current certificate is very dated and putting it bluntly boring..i know the design is over 10 years old as i have been handing out for that period of time

does anyone have any templates of ones they use for there district, which will give me some ideas to put forward to the committe which have the task of designing a new certificate.

many thanks for any help on this

Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 803 Posts
    A committee for designing certificates? I know Scouting likes its committees but that is just going too far even for me

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    At least you have certificates. I can't remember ever seeing any in our District. There aren't any competitions for the Beavers anyway.
    Last edited by Kastor; 07-11-2007 at 03:16 PM. Reason: can't spell
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,353 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    At least you have certificates. I can't remember ever seeing any in our District. There aren't ant competitions for the Beavers anyway.
    i was cross coz there weren't any competitions for scouts in my district. now there are 4/year. but i have to run them.

perhaps you need to run one?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    i was cross coz there weren't any competitions for scouts in my district. now there are 4/year. but i have to run them.

perhaps you need to run one?
    What competitions do you have for the Beavers?

I've tried suggesting things to District but they "don't think being competitive is right for the younger age range". Yuk!
    Last edited by Kastor; 07-11-2007 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,353 Times in 1,447 Posts
    What competitions do you have for the Beavers?

I've tried suggesting things to District but they "don't think being competitive is right for the younger age range". Yuk!
    we have none that are competitive for beavers... not gonna do their competitions as well:

Must it be competive? we have a beaver campfire with games.

you could run a beaver sports day? huge beaver party... lots of pass the parcels... mad musical bumps with dozens of kids, all sorts possible

i don't think that competition is wrong for 6 year olds... but at 6... they are pretty darned useless (most of them)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    Must it be competive?
    I would like to have some form of District competition with a proper trophy. Dishing out certificates for "just turning up" is a bit wet in my view. I don't think Beavers are any more useless than the other age groups - you should see our scouts.

I was thinking along the lines of something with teams of 4 so no-one was particularly singled out as being good or bad. I had considered a District 10-pin bowling competition as they all (the Beavers) like that when we go, it doesn't require too much skill (bumpers always up, ramps if you want them) and its indoors so can be done in any weather.

Thanks
    beavers....maybe run it for a term (probably over this one - wintry etc) and have a design a calender competition...then you get 12 winners and 12 certificates...maybe have a very loose theme....let groups organise it themselves...so if they want one from the colony or groups or individuals then its OK!

maybe get it sold in the local coffee shops, sent out to all the leaders in the district...i think that would be quite cool! any profit fed back into district...maybe for a big camp or a big day out for the beavers...

sorry if that is too stereotyping of beavers...not my speciality! :O

Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 803 Posts
    I would like to have some form of District competition with a proper trophy. Dishing out certificates for "just turning up" is a bit wet in my view. I don't think Beavers are any more useless than the other age groups - you should see our scouts
    In our District we have run 5/6/7 a-side football competitions (numbers per side depending on how many turn up) and fun sports days for Beavers. Although the football and sportsday are competitions we do try to make it more about taking part and all having a good time than seriously worrying about who wins but there is a trophy for the football and the winning team at the sports day got medals or rosettes or something.

We also run an annual themed fun day and all the Beaver who go get attendance certificates based around the theme. So say it was a spy theme the certificate would say something like 'Congratulations on completing your spy training'.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    We have a Disctrict Beaver Football competition every year, as well as a DC challenge. The DC challenge is a competition to make/design/create something to do with a theme that our DC has come up with. Last year it was to create a recyecled birthday cake (being the 20th anniversay) and this year it was to make a life size witch. We never won though and the same group has won for the last 3 years, but I suppose it is the taking part that counts. The certificates are created for the event by the ADC Beavers and printed off her pc, so we don't have any 'proper' ones within our District.

We do sometimes hold special competitions for the Beavers to do, although generally there are not many responses, either the leaders are not passing the information on or the Beavers are just not interested in the competition.
    Susie
    8th Oxford (Highfield) Beaver Scouts

Thanks
    I must be part of an unusual District. We have 5 a-side football, a swimming gala and a sports day for our Beavers as well as the County Beaver Bonanza each year. Cubs do the same and Scouts also have a camping competition and District wide game. Winners of them get a shield with their name engraved on it to keep for the year and those who place 1st, 2nd, 3rd in their event get the appropriate coloured medals.
    Ann
    GSL & LTM

ADC Scouts East Herts
    Thanks
    we run the following competitions

Swimming Gala
    Five a Side Footy
    Cooking Competition
    Raft Extravaganza
    Silver Buckle, which involves Scouting Skills section, Orienteering Section, Archery Section, Shooting Section and an Assault course section

these competitions are in addition to our annual district hillwalking weekend and an district expedition every other year.

Thanks
    our district runs the below competitions where all points go towards pack of the year sheild. (pack with most points)
    Chess, draughts, 7 aside football, brockhouse sheild (scouting skills) cooking or first aid - change them yearly, TK trophy - fun comp every year this year 10 pin bowling. And all packs that entered 3 events or more can go towards most improved pack - better points than year before.
    20pts for a win 19 second etc.
    Akela
    281st St David's