Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay, We're happy but what do you think?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,620 Posts

Okay, We're happy but what do you think?

The Clayton West Site has been around for a while. It is on its fourth or fifth incarnation. The main content is aimed at outsiders, and is about supplying information.

Stats show that some of the hidden pages are where visitors enter, looking for information on pioneering, axe and saw etc..

We are just starting to get the kids into using the website to access forms and programme materials. They can access using a "secret" link, but we have not got them using a password yet as we want them to get used to using the site first.

So if you want, take a look at [url]http://www.claytonwestscouts.org.uk[/url] and shoot me down in flames. Whilst you are looking you might want to drop in on the campsite at [url]http://www.whitleybeaumont.co.uk[/url]

Ewan Scott

Thanks
    Sorry folks I think the server is having one of it's hiccups...thankfully the new server is very nearly ready the accounts should be transferred in the next couple of days.
    all in all it is just another brick in the wall

Member of 9th Irene BOAST jediwannabe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Looks ok, just a couple of issues.

1. Black text and dark green background is bad for my eyes (I.E. I can't read it)
    2. Blue links and lightish green background is bad for my eyes
    3. The yellow text on black is also not so nice to read
    4. "[I](best viewed at 1152 x 864 Explorer 6)[/I]" is a BIG no,no. People don't like being told that there browser and resolution choice is the wrong one. Also, quite a few people have largish LCD monitors that run at 1280x1024 or higher, and quite a few people have old computers with a resolution between 800x640 and 1024x768. 1152x864 is not a very common resolution.

Sorry for being so harsh, but you did say we can shoot you down in flames:D
    Assistant Troop Scouter for 9th Irene Air Scouts
    Developer for the Infinitas CMS

Thanks
    I like the info but the layout was a bit strained! I have 1440x900 resolution and I have a lot of blank green space!

One the pages with text and pictures I found the wrapping to be a bit off - particularly on the gallery page.

Why did I get a pop up on the camping page - what was that for? Also on the camping page I assumed the blue campsite names were links - but they were not.

At that point the site became unavailable - server death!

Anyway, plus points - content; minus points - layout and colours.

I will try and look again when the server is responding.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    I sort of expected comment on the colours.

The campsite links are, or should be live but I've not been able to update the site for some reason.

The Pop-up is a Javascript just reminding that there is more info elsewhere.

Nothing harsh in the comments - I expected worse. These are points to consider next time around. BTW, I used Front Page previously and although it made sure all the links worked - when I tried to update the site it ended up FUBAR.

So it is back to basics with Pagebreeze - which when I look at the HTML is really messy.

In case you hadn't guessed I'm a little old fashoned and put content before looks :-)

Thanks for the comments regardless.

Ewan Scott

Not sure why the image wrapping is off, the images should be centres - always - I might revisit the galleries and put them into tables.

Thanks
    who is your site host? If it's escouts, or a host with PHP and MySQL support, then maybe you should look into using [URL="http://www.cmscout.za.net"]CMScout[/URL] or [URL="http://www.joomla.org"]Joomla[/URL] (My personal choice would be CMScout, but I'm biased)

Thanks
    Okay, Joomla is way too complex for me. I've seen it used and I've a suspicion that it is for tech-heads.

I've looked at CMScout but I'm not sure where the advantage is over a wyswyg editor.

It says that you need to understand PHP and MySQL - well I don't. I wouldn't know where to start. I don't want to spend hours on end creating a site that simply doesn't work because I don't understand the required database.

Bit like working on my cars. I can poke at the late model Jeep, change the brake shoes and handle the basics, but if anyhting serious goes wrong I'm stuck. OTOH, I can strip my Champ down to components and rebuild it without any problems because it is simple.

Would I be able to deal with CMScout - I can't even figure out which ruddy bits to download! :-(

Ewan Scott

Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 807 Posts
    Our site is a HTML site and I have no idea how to set up a CMS so I sympathise with you but to play devils advocate the advantage of a CMS over WYSIWYG editor is that once it is set up you don't need to understand technical stuff like HTML, CSS, PHP etc to add content so you can concentrate on the content and the CMS gives you get a good looking site . Also more than one person can add content like all section Leaders say.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    [quote=Bushfella;53400]Okay, Joomla is way too complex for me. I've seen it used and I've a suspicion that it is for tech-heads.

I've looked at CMScout but I'm not sure where the advantage is over a wyswyg editor.

It says that you need to understand PHP and MySQL - well I don't. I wouldn't know where to start. I don't want to spend hours on end creating a site that simply doesn't work because I don't understand the required database.

Bit like working on my cars. I can poke at the late model Jeep, change the brake shoes and handle the basics, but if anyhting serious goes wrong I'm stuck. OTOH, I can strip my Champ down to components and rebuild it without any problems because it is simple.

Would I be able to deal with CMScout - I can't even figure out which ruddy bits to download! :-(

Ewan Scott[/quote]

You don't need to understand PHP or MySQL for CMScout. All you need is to have a host that supports PHP and MySQL (Such as :escouts:), then it's a simple case of downloading CMScout (As a first time use I'd recommend downloading 1.24, the link is on the first line of the CMScout home page).

Then upload all the files (While keeping the directory structure intact), the rest of the installation instructions are given in the zip file, but I'll quickly cover them here.
    [LIST=1][*]Set the required directory and file permissions (dead easy through Direct Admin - make sure that the install/templates_c folder is writable)[*]Create a MySQL database and user (Even easier through Direct Admin).[*]Goto the address you put the CMScout files in, the installer should start.[*]Follow the simple prompts[*]Goto your new site and bask in the glory that is CMScout :bigsmiley[/LIST]The hardest part about CMScout is installing it. Version 2 makes even that simple, and hopefully the guys over here at :escouts: will allow me to add CMScout 2 into the installertron :) which would make it even simpler.

Some advantages for using a CMS (at least, using CMScout):[LIST][*]You can edit the site from anywhere in the world.
    On a business trip and need to change something on the site, no problem, just log on to your site and change what you need.[*]You can allow section leaders to access and edit their section information[*]Easy to use Photo Album[*]Allow your Scouts and Cubs to write articles for the site[*]Built in Forum[*]Editing content takes place in a WYSIWYG environment similar to Word[/LIST]If you decide to stick with a html based site, take a look at [URL="http://www.oswd.org"]www.oswd.org[/URL], they've got hundreds of awesome, free to use, templates.
    Last edited by jediwannabe; 11-11-2007 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Bushfella;53400]Okay, Joomla is way too complex for me. I've seen it used and I've a suspicion that it is for tech-heads.

Ewan Scott[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't worry about it as there are more than enough people with some kind of idea as to how to set up a site :)

As for CMScout/Joomla all you need to do is create a database. Simple, just click new and think of a name for it. The install file that it has with it will do the rest for you with some input. Such as the name you gave the database, a username and password etc.

Infact I think that iTron has joomla on it. This means you just answer questions and it does it for you. No knowledge needed.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Bushfella;53400]Okay, Joomla is way too complex for me. I've seen it used and I've a suspicion that it is for tech-heads.

Ewan Scott[/QUOTE]

Not in my case... our site is Joomla (all be it simple) and I in no way would class myself as a tech-head, never having done anything like it before.
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    Can't even instal CMScout never mind use it!

Ewan Scott

Thanks
    If you really want to install it then ask and I am sure someone will help you out.

Thanks
    I had problems with CMScout at first but after some advice I have got it going. Now to learn how to set up a site using it...
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    ROTFLMHO

Of course I can't instal CMScout - I can't upload anything until the server is sorted. Doh!

Question though. If I upload CMScout will I lose the current site whilst the new one is being created on-line?

Ewan Scott