Thread: Bring a Friend

CSL
    Thanks

Post Bring a Friend

Hey

Last night we had 28 kids at the second of our Bring a Friend nights (we had two evenings and told which sixes which night to bring a friend) and it was..... interesting?

Our Akela had a puncture and still hadn't got home from work when the meeting began. Myself and Rikki manned the front, Rikki dealing with subs, trips and moneys on a piece of scrap paper (to be transferred into the book which was with Akela later on) and me writing information about the friends and sorting stickers out.

We always throw a ball out at the start of meetings and the Cubs occupy themselves for 5 or 10 minutes while we get sorted, but it was amazing how many had arrived so quick! 28 kids with 1 ball in an unorganised game got a bit.. chaotic, so I left the desk to start a proper game. Of all the nights, I'd forgotten my whistle, so it was a case of "projecting my voice" to gain their attention (no, I didn't have to shout at all, honest )

Baloo arrived in the nick of time, and after an opening game suggested by a Cub (Pirates and Bucaneers), I obliged considering they all wanted to play it and it required no equipment to go scrambling around for. Was quite fun and they burned off a fair bit of energy.

Rikki took grand howl and we opened, and then realising that Akela had all the equipment and stuff for the night's programme, we were stumped so did what we did best and stalled by playing games for another 45 minutes! Akela finally got down to the Hut and we spent the remaining half on track.

Only problem is, we have loads of kids wanting to join now because they think we normally play games for the first half of the night!

Of all the nights, why oh why last night! Ah well, I guess I now completed the YL module about improvising and stalling/covering for others.. oh wait, that's not a module.

It would be interesting to know of any similar stories and your Bring a Friend experiences?
    Danny Mercer
    CSL (59th Sheffield)
    Organiser (The Equinox Challenge)

Thanks
    COngratulations Dan, you have now realised that things that look really organised and well run, can be the result of things going awry!
    It sounds to me as though you all managed really well, that the YP had a great time and that the second half of the evening showed the friends what Scouting is about and they STILL want to join! I don't think for a moment that the games for half the time has influenced their decision. And if you think about it, the games you played are part of Scouting anyway. Think back on the games you played, and then apply them to different parts of the programme. I think you will be suprised how many areas you have covered!
    And finally, have you realised that it is your own Scouting background that helped you to cope so well?

CSL
    Thanks
    Hey ninthskip

I guess that applies to outside of Scouting too... everything looks fine and dandy but who knows what's going on behind the curtain!

I was glad to see more people wanting to join so your right, they must want to join for a reason!

My Scouting started at that same Cub pack when I was nearly 8 (you could get away with being 7 and 10 months back then) and progressed through Cubs, Scouts and Explorers, going back to help as a YL! I can remember having a games night once or twice a year "as a treat" (however, now I think about it, I'm beginning to wonder if it was a treat or if something had gone wrong and they restorted to the failsafe games night like I did!!)

With all due respect to teachers, I would love to drop one of my high school teachers with a pack of 28 8-11 year olds and leave them to it and see what happens. No plans, no paper or equipment, just some balls and a couple of sticks of chalk. I know some would be up to the challenge (it is actually scary that amount of leaders who are teachers!!) but I'd still love to see it anyway!

Dan
    Danny Mercer
    CSL (59th Sheffield)
    Organiser (The Equinox Challenge)

Thanks
    Each Section in our Group has doen something different for Bring A Friend.

The Beavers went on a picnic, played games and made Sedan Chairs for our District Sunrise event, the Cubs had a Treasure Hunt followed by an evening picnic whilst the Scouts opted for hiring Activity World (a huge indoor / outdoor play facility)

As I was the organiser for the District Sunrise Celebrations we made the Camp and Gig the night before open for Scouts and Explorers to bring their non-Scouting friends along (and of about 100 campers about a third were non-members)

I also managed to gain my badge - my parents helped with the catering for the Sunrise event!

All in all the events went well and yes, we did gain more names on waiting lists - but that in turn has generated soome more leaders (as we explain one of the few perks we can offer is go into uniform and your child gets priority )
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    We did jam tart decorating for our bring a friend night, we had 15 friends and about 28 cubs attend. I brought a friend as well and she is coming to cubs till January, then going to Scouts. I now have the full set of Join in Centenary badges
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)