Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm going to be in charge...

Thanks

I'm going to be in charge...

Well jointly anyway.

As you may recall back in May I moved up to the cub section.

Last night my GSL told me that our CSL has a new job which means that she can't get to cubs any more, so she asked if I and the other leader would like to be jointly in charge . I'm not sure how this is going to work, but it should be interesting.
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Awards Team
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Well jointly anyway.

Last night my GSL told me that our CSL has a new job which means that she can't get to cubs any more, so she asked if I and the other leader would like to be jointly in charge . I'm not sure how this is going to work, but it should be interesting.
    I think you would have to set clear roles and responsibilities right from the start - otherwise it could all end up in tears!!!!
    Awards Team
    Twittering: Here

Thanks
    Joint charge can work well. We have a group in our District that ran their Scout section very successfully with 4ASLs but sometimes someone will have to make the decision so you will need to sort out who has the ultimate say in particular areas.
    Dave Brookes
    Scouter in Charge 4th Swindon
    Cub Scout Leader 4th Swindon
    Webmaster Swindon Gang Show
    http://www.wiltshirescouts.org.uk/swindongangshow

Thanks
    I suggest that you try the old management tool of "SWOT" - strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.

Each write down what you feel you are good at/enjoy and what you are not so good at/don't enjoy. Write down the advantages that could come from working jointly and the threats (problems) that could arise.

Both do separate lists then compare them. I think you will find out from that exactly how well this might work - or not, as the case may be.

Then you can divide out the workload accordingly and you will both be aware of the problem areas before you get into them.

Look on the bright side though - you might be able to have every other week off!

Thanks
    I think that SWO would be better - done one in IT. Cause if you have been chosen to design a system there is hardly a threat involved.

Thanks
    Like anything we do the keys is in the planning - whether that's one person or ten - and good (honest) communication.

At the moment you could say we have 3 people sharing, as we have a new ACSL, a ASCL who will be moving on and me kind of holding the fort as "surrogate" Akela! (I'm Chairman but tend to help out when needed - have done 17 of the 19 modules for a warrant but don't intend to apply for one)

We plan the whole term and divvy up the work - it seems to work well.
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Account Closed
    Thanks
    In my opinion and experience sharing doesn't work as well as one person in charge. I'm sure it does work, but someone has to take the lead or put their neck on the block. I find especially with parents and community contacts, they need to have one contact or else they aren't sure who to go to or one might be popular than the other and so on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Akela Ben View Post
    In my opinion and experience sharing doesn't work as well as one person in charge. I'm sure it does work, but someone has to take the lead or put their neck on the block. I find especially with parents and community contacts, they need to have one contact or else they aren't sure who to go to or one might be popular than the other and so on.
    We do split things like that - so for example communication tends to be me, kit and equipment one of the others etc. It works for us but it does depend on the clear communication and teamwork we have in place.
    Louise

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    My experience of leadership by commitee partly led to my Beaver Scout divorce but as stated sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

How about grabbing the current Akela by the scruff and saying 'Not so fast!'-I'm sure there's a whole host of things that could be offered to retain their services-Another section, an executive job, weekend help at things, training mentor, Quartermaster, (vice) chairman, fundraising... If their job changes they are still around...It's harder to get someone back on the Scouting merry go round if they've got off!
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Lill View Post
    My experience of leadership by commitee partly led to my Beaver Scout divorce but as stated sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

How about grabbing the current Akela by the scruff and saying 'Not so fast!'-I'm sure there's a whole host of things that could be offered to retain their services-Another section, an executive job, weekend help at things, training mentor, Quartermaster, (vice) chairman, fundraising... If their job changes they are still around...It's harder to get someone back on the Scouting merry go round if they've got off!

The current Akela isn't leaving she will be going to help with scouts, as she has a new job and can't get to cubs in time, so she will still be there.
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    It was our first week back tonight, but it went really well even though I probably did grand howl completely wrong, and I altered the sixes and forgot to tell one of the cubs that they had moved a six.

But all in all a good evening and I think all the cubs enjoyed themselves, which is the main thing
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    It was our first week back tonight, but it went really well even though I probably did grand howl completely wrong, and I altered the sixes and forgot to tell one of the cubs that they had moved a six.

But all in all a good evening and I think all the cubs enjoyed themselves, which is the main thing
    Well done for getiing through night 1 So now comes the important question - did you enjoy it too?
    Louise

-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    Well done for getiing through night 1 So now comes the important question - did you enjoy it too?

Yes, I did thanks
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    Well jointly anyway.

I have a similiar role and find that sharing the role isn't that difficult. It is all about identifying who does what the best. I am not organised at all, but my other leader is and has always doe letters and such. I am a grade A fruit loop at times and invent the most bizzare activities for us to do which keeps the kids on their toes. Also, working in the Playwork sector, I know my discipline and health and safety very well, so I can nip any worrying behaviour in the bud whislt my co-leader is doing something else.

Lastly, we are a team and we work as a team. We back each other up and support each others decisions. It means that we can both do the parents and organising bit if needed, and we learn to bounce off each other all the time.

We've had quite a successful time and it works for us....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaawaterloo View Post
    I have a similiar role and find that sharing the role isn't that difficult. It is all about identifying who does what the best. I am not organised at all, but my other leader is and has always doe letters and such. I am a grade A fruit loop at times and invent the most bizzare activities for us to do which keeps the kids on their toes. Also, working in the Playwork sector, I know my discipline and health and safety very well, so I can nip any worrying behaviour in the bud whislt my co-leader is doing something else.

Lastly, we are a team and we work as a team. We back each other up and support each others decisions. It means that we can both do the parents and organising bit if needed, and we learn to bounce off each other all the time.

We've had quite a successful time and it works for us....

How long have you been sharing the role?
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)