View Poll Results: Are you happy with the programme changes that have been made?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Delighted

3 5.66%
  • Happy

36 67.92%
  • Disappointed

14 26.42%
  • Angry

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Programme Changes

Thanks

Poll: Programme Changes

Are you happy with the programme changes that have been made?

(This is a public vote!!!)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    Someone forgot the poll

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thats step 2, now done

Thanks
    I had to go for disappointed on various counts.

I like having more Challenge Badges as three wasn't really enough. However they have now taken the challenge out of them. They are now just turn up and get badges.

The Chief Scout Bronze has lost its value - its become a BOGOFF badge, get the 6 Challenges and we'll give you one for free.

Scouting seems to be continuing to dumb down the Programme. All the changes seem to be making it easier, there is no real challenge any more. A lot of the stuff in these new Challenge badges could be done by 4 Year olds, it will be just plain boring for 6, 7 and 8 Year olds, who are the ones I have in the Colony.

Yes I'm disappointed, another missed opportunity to make Scouting something better. Oh well I suppose I'll have to wait another 5 years and see if the next review can get it right.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    How about "Yes I know, but I havn't had chance to check them out as yet".

Thanks
    Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,436 Posts
    it will not affect me one jot.

Thanks
    Or indeed "Ambivalent"
    Last edited by Biscit; 07-12-2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Really really bad spelling

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    I had to go for disappointed on various counts.

I like having more Challenge Badges as three wasn't really enough. However they have now taken the challenge out of them. They are now just turn up and get badges.

The Chief Scout Bronze has lost its value - its become a BOGOFF badge, get the 6 Challenges and we'll give you one for free.

Scouting seems to be continuing to dumb down the Programme. All the changes seem to be making it easier, there is no real challenge any more. A lot of the stuff in these new Challenge badges could be done by 4 Year olds, it will be just plain boring for 6, 7 and 8 Year olds, who are the ones I have in the Colony.

Yes I'm disappointed, another missed opportunity to make Scouting something better. Oh well I suppose I'll have to wait another 5 years and see if the next review can get it right.
    Is it just me, or do we not actually know what the changes are going to be yet? We know the names have changed, but we don't know what the actual requirements are. And wasn't the Chief Scouts Award always 'BOGOF'? The same as the old Chief Scouts Award, you did the challenges, you got the badge - what else can you do to get it?

Thanks
    Requirements for at least Beavers and Cubs have been posted on Escouts and I think they are all actually on Scoutbase now

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by weefatbob View Post
    Is it just me, or do we not actually know what the changes are going to be yet? We know the names have changed, but we don't know what the actual requirements are. And wasn't the Chief Scouts Award always 'BOGOF'? The same as the old Chief Scouts Award, you did the challenges, you got the badge - what else can you do to get it?
    I'm afraid it is just you. The requirements (for Beavers) are listed in this thread http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6117. The "old" CSB was not a BOGOF as the Beavers actually had to do something for it - the Personal Challenge. This stopped quite a few of them getting it because they were too lazy to bother. Hence it rewarded those who tried. The "new" CSB will just be given out to those that attended, which is a lot different from actually having to try. All my Beavers will end up with the "new" CSB, hence it has no value.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    I'm afraid it is just you. The requirements (for Beavers) are listed in this thread http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6117. The "old" CSB was not a BOGOF as the Beavers actually had to do something for it - the Personal Challenge. This stopped quite a few of them getting it because they were too lazy to bother. Hence it rewarded those who tried. The "new" CSB will just be given out to those that attended, which is a lot different from actually having to try. All my Beavers will end up with the "new" CSB, hence it has no value.
    Why not add a personal challenge requirement for your colony? There is no rule saying that you can't, especially if you think that it will enhance the Scouting that you provide.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Why not add a personal challenge requirement for your colony? There is no rule saying that you can't, especially if you think that it will enhance the Scouting that you provide.
    Nice idea, but that means I'm not following the Balanced Programme. I may not agree with parts of the Programme but I will at least attempt to follow it.

Thanks
    Badges and their requirements aren't the balanced programme, having a programme which covers all of the programme zones is. Badges merely compliment a balanced programme. Setting Beavers a personal challenge would be part of a balanced programme and would compliment it. The balanced programme isn't about earning every badge there is, it's about having fun whilst scouts learn more about themselves and the world around them. I think a personal challenge fits very well into this definition of a balanced programme.

Thanks
    It is not up to Section Leaders to make up extra requirements for badges. All badge requirements are set by HQ and should not be altered. Why should it be harder for some people in one Group to earn a particular badge than for people in any other Group?

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

Thanks
    I personally quite like the programme changes. I like how the zones fit more snuggly with other sections and badges. I am not too sure about the new joining in/participation badges - but then again I never awarded the previous design.

I like that there are more resources available - such as the badge requirement book, something which if you search this forum is something which a lot of leaders wanted and were buying from other sources or making their own. Other resources have come down in price, again a good thing. However I am not sure that the book format is the best, I like the old file system. They are easier to photocopy if necessary - and if changes are made to the programme in the future (there is bound to be) replacement sheets could be issued, without the need to buy a new book - which I thought was the original purpose of having the resources in loose sheet format.

I like the pack that has been designed for new cubs, including posters and stickers - that should keep them engaged after they have let the hut on a Monday night. I also like the new wall charts, something which has been missing since the programme change.

So overall a from me.