View Poll Results: Are you happy with the programme changes that have been made?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Delighted

3 5.66%
  • Happy

36 67.92%
  • Disappointed

14 26.42%
  • Angry

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll: Programme Changes

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    It is not up to Section Leaders to make up extra requirements for badges. All badge requirements are set by HQ and should not be altered. Why should it be harder for some people in one Group to earn a particular badge than for people in any other Group?
    If you are that concerned about not being able to make up new requirements (something which has always been there in the past - leader discretion!) and still want to have a personal challenge, then just do it! Make up your own award, something which you are entirely able to make up your own requirements for. Design a certificate and make a big song and dance about it. Award it at an AGM.

Or, when a scout is about to leave their section when the CSA is normally completed, ask them to challenge themselves to do something and show the rest of the section when completed. Then award the CSA. It doesn't make that much of a difference!

I remember when the new programme came in hearing a CSL moan that there wasn't an Astronmers badge anymore so they couldn't do the star gazing, night walks, model making etc that her cubs loved doing. I pointed out that there was an astronomy part in the scientist badge, she said yes, but only a small section and not nearly as extensive as the requirements for the old badge. I tried to explain that just because there wasn't a badge for it, it didn't mean that she couldn't still do the night walks, star gazing, model making etc - it was still part of a balanced programme. I think the same applies for the personal challenge.

If you think that the badge requirements have been 'dumbed down' - that does not mean you have to 'dumb down' your programme.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 805 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    If you think that the badge requirements have been 'dumbed down' - that does not mean you have to 'dumb down' your programme.
    Totally agree with this, so long as you programme is balanced and above all fun and the kids get the badges they have earned then you can do whatever activities you like.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 3,353 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    It is not up to Section Leaders to make up extra requirements for badges. All badge requirements are set by HQ and should not be altered. Why should it be harder for some people in one Group to earn a particular badge than for people in any other Group?
    because we all do things differently.

i do not look at the requirements from one month to the next, I just run a program that amuses me, challenges them and keeps them coming back week after week. Occasionally I look back and tick off where they met a requirement and dish out a load of badges.

I have never done this chief scout award thingy with any of them. Perhaps they miss out because of that... but they do some cracking good stuff with me so it's not much of a loss...

Thanks
    I haven't voted, as being in cubs for a short while and not knowing enough about the current badge system, I am not sure of the effect the change will have.
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    . Hence it rewarded those who tried. The "new" CSB will just be given out to those that attended, which is a lot different from actually having to try. All my Beavers will end up with the "new" CSB, hence it has no value.

I guess maybe we do already have in hand rewarding those who try, as in each Section we usually have at least one thing for each challenge badge the youngsters have to do at home and we do the same for some activity badges. That way we always have, and will, reward those who put the effort in.

Having said that we do have a few youngsters who are keen but the parents don't seem to be - but it's amazing what "pester power" from a keen Beaver, Cub or Scout can achieve. If we did have concerns that maybe the child was getting upset, parents weren't helping etc then we'd try and tackle it.

We're considering using the Promise Challange (at least in Cubs) as maybe something to finish off with the older Cubs / Sixers / Seconders (a couple of the things would work well for that)- so that those who want to earn their Chief Scout do actually still have to put some effort in, rather than perhaps just showing up.
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post

We're considering using the Promise Challange (at least in Cubs) as maybe something to finish off with the older Cubs / Sixers / Seconders (a couple of the things would work well for that)- so that those who want to earn their Chief Scout do actually still have to put some effort in, rather than perhaps just showing up.

That was my inital reaction to the new Cub challenge badges as well.
    Kate, CSL (and GDB(S))
    1st Weald Brook Scout Group
    Brentwood, Essex
    www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

Thanks
    i am a bit ambivalent TBH - I like the fact that we have more challenges, but I do find them dumbed down a bit. However, I have struggled to get somekids their challenges in the current format, because if they miss one or two meets..... with only 4 items, and them being so vague, I can see every one getting their badge, which for the average 8year old is excellent news!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    I had to go for disappointed on various counts.

I like having more Challenge Badges as three wasn't really enough. However they have now taken the challenge out of them. They are now just turn up and get badges.

The Chief Scout Bronze has lost its value - its become a BOGOFF badge, get the 6 Challenges and we'll give you one for free.
    Personally I think the new Promise Challenge gives lots of room for 'personal' challenges to be set under it's requirements

Thanks
    I've taken the opportunity to challenge my YL's as part of their Mission 1.

To identify a challenge badge and then to run 3 pack nights so that they can be awarded the badge.

This should give him the opportunity to learn and then plan the meetings etc.

When I next see the other two YL's they get the same Mission

Grey but not that old Alfbranch's Avatar
    Thanks
    I am disapointed in th loss of the personal challenge from the Chief Scout Gold award.

Alf
    Alf

Group Scout leader 1st Hensingham Scouts Western Lakes District
    http://www.hensinghamscouts.org.uk/
    Knives made by me

Only use sharp knives. Blunt knives are more dangerous.