Thread: Thread for discussion on New policy on adoption on any further Escouts Systems

Thanks

Thread for discussion on New policy on adoption on any further Escouts Systems

Policy - Suggesting Systems for Escouts
    Following a recent, and continual stream of suggestions for many systems that Escouts could manage, incorporate or completely write from scratch, it has been decided as a matter of policy that:

will take on NO MORE ADDITIONAL PROJECTS, until:

Escouts: Hosting
    Escouts: Helpdesk
    Escouts: Status
    Escouts: Awards
    Escouts: CMS
    Escouts: Search
    Upgrade to vBulletin 3.7

Has been completed.

Escouts Badges, will be retired until further notice.

The Escouts team feel it is more important that we concentrate on delivering what we can and that it is realistic and focussed, rather than take on far too much and being unable to deliver anything.

Projects take time to deliver both in terms of coding and management of the process such as design and testing.

Clearly Escouts popularity is increasing on a monthly basis, but we are not the whole of Scouting, and there are a number of projects already in existance where many of the needs are already met, or are being planned to be met.

We will not support any national / international coding project in any way, including by giving hosting. If you have a Escouts account and develop something for your local Group etc, please ask to confirm tha distribution of it on a Escouts account does not break your hosting conditions. We will consider these situations on their merits.
    http://escouts.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6370

POST ANY DISCUSSION IN THIS THREAD

Member of 9th Irene BOAST jediwannabe's Avatar
    Thanks
    You have any ETA of the Escouts: CMS? Since CMScout is a Open Source project, you are welcome to fork from it (Or use bits from it), although you guys probably want to work from scratch. It does sound like an interesting project!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    We will not support any national / international coding project in any way
    You're still considering putting CMScout on the installatron aren't you?
    Assistant Troop Scouter for 9th Irene Air Scouts
    Developer for the Infinitas CMS

Awards Team
    Thanks
    I think it must have been a combination of a flurry of people with a bit of spare time on their hands due to Christmas and a willingness to help fellow Scouters that spurred the recent increase in system/application idea's.

What I would like to say is that Escouts is a great community with great people. Many of whom are all to happy to help. What you guys are doing is fantastic and I for one, as I'm sure many others do, really appreciate everything the Escouts Team do.
    Awards Team
    Twittering: Here

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jediwannabe View Post
    You have any ETA of the Escouts: CMS? Since CMScout is a Open Source project, you are welcome to fork from it (Or use bits from it), although you guys probably want to work from scratch. It does sound like an interesting project!

You're still considering putting CMScout on the installatron aren't you?
    A few years ago now we identified the problem, and its still there where we cannot just give a Scout group a few pages, without a full hosting account etc. Every CMS needs a database connection, specific configuring etc, all a bit confusing for people, especially if they havent got the time or interest to learn.

Escouts CMS will be our attempt to address this. However, on the list of priorities its is bottom!

Provided CMScout passes testing on the install script it will go on installatron, regardless of Escouts CMS or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_S View Post
    I think it must have been a combination of a flurry of people with a bit of spare time on their hands due to Christmas and a willingness to help fellow Scouters that spurred the recent increase in system/application idea's.

What I would like to say is that Escouts is a great community with great people. Many of whom are all to happy to help. What you guys are doing is fantastic and I for one, as I'm sure many others do, really appreciate everything the Escouts Team do.
    Doing the job I do, I know for a system to be delivered and meet expectations it has to be well thought out and designed and tested. Coding is one stage. I am glad we have a flurry of people wanting to code, but the concept is the most important stage in the process. This is especially important when we are talking about volunteer time and our resources.

Telling people they should come to Escouts to do x y and z doesnt work, offering well thought out focussed resources does.

Escouts Team & System Dev Magician's Avatar
    Thanks
    Upgrade to vBulletin 3.7
    Least we got something done :p