Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bpsa

Thanks

Baden Powell Scout Association

I noticed that Escouts accepts both SA and BPSA Scouts. I was wondering, are there any BPSA members on here?
    Last edited by RedCoat; 03-02-2008 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Title was ambiguous...oops
    Richard Cullen
    Fakenham Lancaster Baden-Powell Air Scouts

Per Exploranda ad Astra!

Thanks

B-P Souts

Dear Redcoat

Yes there are a couple of B-P Scouts' Association leaders on the site

Regards

Julian

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    Dear Redcoat

Yes there are a couple of B-P Scouts' Association leaders on the site

Regards

Julian
    Your first post since May last year?

Post more.

Any other BP Scouts?
    Last edited by David; 16-02-2008 at 11:04 PM.

Remember; Some people are like "Slinky's". Worthless, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Mrs Chug has earnt her woodbeads

WWW.RAMILLIES-ESSU.ORG.UK

Thanks
    Great! Glad to know I won't be alone once the paperwork has gone through!
    Richard Cullen

Per Exploranda ad Astra!

Thanks
    Whilst on Brownsea last August I got talking to a German who said he was a St. George Scout(??). Bet there's none on here...

I also saw a whole boat load of BP Scouts touring the island, it was fantastic to look at them and imagine yourself back in time. I was also lucky enough to meet their equivalent of Peter Duncan.
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (my bushcrafty blog)
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCoat View Post
    Great! Glad to know I won't be alone once the paperwork has gone through!
    You're joining the BP Scouts, why, are you leaving the SA?

Remember; Some people are like "Slinky's". Worthless, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Thanks
    we met 2 BP scouts last year on brownsea, there uniforms looked great

Thanks
    Thanked 3,154 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chug View Post
    You're joining the BP Scouts, why, are you leaving the SA?
    from theor site:

Fakenham Lancaster B-P Air Scouts

In February 2008, following a series of frustrations to both the Leaders and Scouts, the leaders at Fakeham Wensum decided that they had no choice other than to leave the Group, and the Scout Association, in order to seek a more effective way to meet the needs of Fakeham's youth. As a result they chose to form a new group, as part of the Baden-Powell Scout Association.

Thanks
    Redcoat, what caused your group to switch?

Thanks
    Well, if I gave all the reasons this could end up a very long and ranty thread, so I'll just give some of the basics! Please remember that this is all my own opinion!

We were unhappy with our relationship with our district, which, we felt, was making it almost impossible for us to provide the Scouting our Scouts wanted. We also felt that the SA was moving away from what we felt we wanted from Scouting.

Our views as leaders were repeatedly ignored by District, and we were suffering what can only be described as "randomly applied rules" - where POR was used whenever it was backing District's desires, and then being ignored, or even contradicted, whenever it was in our favour.

I was also, personally, fed up of being treated as a "poor relation" in the District because my Group happened to have been in the "wrong half" at merger. You can only put up with so many sarcastic comments about a District that had ceased to exist even before you rejoined scouting.

The treatment of our Explorers was another major issue to me. The ESU was too far away for them to get to easily. In 2001 we had a large section of Ventures/Seniors. After they were ordered to join the District ESU they had all gone in a matter of weeks.

We had an Explorer Young Leader who had been a keen Scout since being a Beaver. She had the potential to easily reach Queen Scout standard, and was great with the children, with the potential to be an excellent leader. Over 8 months ago I asked our DC about whether I could take her through her training (as there was no way she could travel to the ESU) - and never had a reply. Eventually, in frustration, I just started training her anyway, and managed to get her the Platinum Award - but she has totally lost trust and interest in Scouting.

In the end, when we looked at where we were, we couldn't see any benefit from staying in the SA, while the BPSA matched our philosophy and needs, and had a program that better reflected the interests of our Scouts.

The final decision was made when our Scouts' PLC started making comments to us which mirrored what we had been thinking among ourselves in an almost spooky manner!

It has not been an easy decision, but we feel that it is the best one we have made in a while.
    Richard Cullen

Per Exploranda ad Astra!

Thanks
    It sounds like you have been poorly let down by your district and I believe that if "defecting" was the only way you could all remain in Scouting you've done the right thing.

We had a group in our District that switched to the BP Scouts, this happend before I rejoined the movement and as far as I know it they did it because district wanted to close down or merge one of there sections with another groups because of low numbers.

I've just had a look at the BP Scouts website http://www.traditionalscouting.co.uk ,and I can't see any Air or Sea Scout uniforms, are you keeping the SA uniform and just changing the badges?
    Last edited by Chug; 17-02-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks
    Obviously it is up to your group Richard whatever you choose to do, however I am very much against leaving the Scout Association to join BP-Scouts.

Firstly, I hope that you have taken into consideration such things as:

1) Insurance - if a Scout in TSA is involved in an accident you are very much covered via Scout Insurance Services - have you informed parents etc that this is no longer the case?

2) Support - you might not have needed it, but should you or any of your other leaders get into difficulty either legally or via a complaint from a parent, TSA will generally, if you have followed the rules, support you in many different ways. They have supported legally a number of individuals in the past who have been cleared of various things because of this

It does seem that the main reason you left Scouting is because of your District. I can very much understand this having been in a similar situation. However there are several channels to progress complaints on this level - firstly to County/Area then to Region or even direct to Headquarters who will endevour to do something about it. None of these people can act unless they know what is going on - they aren't mind readers!

As I said, it is up to your group to do as they like, but my personal view is that not being in TSA with the protection and support it provides is irresponsible to the young people in your care and a short term fix to a problem which could probably have been solved internally.

Kind regards

Bob

Thanks
    Bob,

We have looked into all of this and the B-PSA are equally responsible, and provide as good support, as the SA.

As someone who is professionally involved with young people and their welfare, I am more than happy with what I have found out about the B-PSA.

Richard
    Richard Cullen

Per Exploranda ad Astra!

Thanks
    I've just had a look at the BP Scouts website http://www.traditionalscouting.co.uk ,and I can't see any Air or Sea Scout uniforms, are you keeping the SA uniform and just changing the badges?
    No, we're going to a more traditional Air Scout uniform. Once everything is set up we'll have details of it on our site.

Richard
    Richard Cullen

Per Exploranda ad Astra!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCoat View Post
    No, we're going to a more traditional Air Scout uniform. Once everything is set up we'll have details of it on our site.

Richard
    Sorry Richard but I've got a vision of your entire group standing there in full "Biggles" get up of leather flying hat, goggles and white silk scarves held out behind you on wires.

Seriously though, will the leadership qualifications you gained in the SA transfer over to the BPSA, does a leader who gained his wood beads in the SA get to keep them or will he have to re-train?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast