Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what rucksack to buy size and type

Thanks

what rucksack to buy size and type

Right I need help

I need a ruck sack for myself and also one for my 9 year old when he goes camping with the cubs.

Had a look at a few , but not sure what type is best and also what size would be best as there are so many

Cheers

Thanks
    Unfortunately that's a huge and almost open ended question. There are so many models and sizes of rusksack on the market that you really need to go to a good retailer and try a few.

What do you want to use your rucksack for? I'd imagine that if you pick anything big enough for an adult to use for a weekend expedition or camp then it'll be too big and heavy for a 9 year old to carry. Also if you spend a lot of money on a nice bag for you then you won't want it in a cub tent at camp!

I've got a really nice 60-70 litre bag for expeditions. Cost me a bit over £100 but it's fantastic. Really comfy, big enugh for everything I need but not so big I fill it with junk. Adjustable back so I can make it fit really well.

Most people don't want to spend that kind of money so look for something that's big enough for your needs, fits properly (good shops will help you with fitting). Outside pockets can be good for putting little stuff in. You can buy male and female fitting on some of the better bags, so make sure you get the right one!

Adrian

Thanks
    Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ddcdj View Post
    Right I need help

I need a ruck sack for myself and also one for my 9 year old when he goes camping with the cubs.

Had a look at a few , but not sure what type is best and also what size would be best as there are so many

Cheers
    what is it for? if it is just for camping, do not buy a rucksack. They are v impractical if you are simply getting the gear from the car.

Also... a 9yr old at cub camp will not need a rucksack. (Or i v much doubt it)

I use one of these:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/120l-trek-bag-35309539/

it is perfect for camping... wide access so you can see what you are looking for

Thanks
    I use a rucsac, which I know is over packed.

Last year I did packing a bag with the cubs, I took my big green army rucsac 100l, a 50l Rucsac and my big green bag, which is also 100l.

Of my rucsacs they were packed for different things, big green for camps, carrying lot's of spare clothing, incase somebody needs it, the 50l packed for a weekend exped and the bag was packed with my son's kit for the next weekend away.

For camping, the bag is perfect, I can put all of his stuff in it easily and it zips shut at the end of the camp he can throw everything inside, including his roll mat and still zip it up.

They all decided that my big green rucsac was the best, until I asked them to lift it and then get me a clean t-shirt and spare shoes out. The bag was revealed to be much easier.

I won't get my son a rucsac until he starts hiking with the scouts, he doesn't need one, anyhting I buy him now either won't fit now or won't fit when he needs it or both.

If I could buy a new rucsac now I would go for Berghaus for the big one and Lowe Alpine for a smaller one.

Saying that I bought a cheap Eurohike 35l last week, it was priced wrong at £19.99 instead of £29.99 and then I asked for and got the 10% Scout discount But I wanted it to put my climbing gear in, not to carry for long distances.
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    what is it for? if it is just for camping, do not buy a rucksack. They are v impractical if you are simply getting the gear from the car.

Also... a 9yr old at cub camp will not need a rucksack. (Or i v much doubt it)

I use one of these:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/120l-trek-bag-35309539/

it is perfect for camping... wide access so you can see what you are looking for
    For a cub or for someone who will not be hiking that is ideal.
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Thanks might pop upto decath later then for him for cubs , got myself a cheap 60ltr on from Argos to see what he size fells like as I can easily take it back and buy a proper one ;-).

Have seen a parent send a beaver to a sleepover with a 60 ltr back pack on there back , not right

Thanks
    60 is big enough to put most beavers inside...

You end up with the bag bigger than the kids. Kinda like this...

http://www.10thbath.org.uk/2007/page...0heavy_jpg.htm

Adrian

Thanks
    yep thats what it was like it was big when his brother brought it to cub cap ;-)

Thanks
    yep just like one of my scouts lol on district hike last year

Thanks
    I usually take my anceint, battered, but yet so hard wearing One Day Berghuas Rucsac to camp with me. I don't like to take a lot of stuff, so it does the job for me.

Therefore I recommend a Berghaus One Day, even if it's second hand......

Thanks
    Your 9 yo cub doesn't need a rucksack until scouts at the earliest. For you I suggest you look round the local outdoor shops and see whats out there - take notes and then think about what you want, and do some reasearch on the internet.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks
    Like a few of the others I'd go for a bag.
    I have a really old battered North Face Expedition duffel, its been around the world a few times!
    There are a few bargains out there, especially for the Mountain Equipment version which has the advantage of a wet & dry section.
    For a cub surely a 40 litre duffel would be big enough?

Account Closed
    Thanks
    A cub doesn't need a rucksack! A nine year old will not need a rucksack on cub camp! Teach your Cubs and Scouts how to pack a rucksack properly and there is no reason why they shouldn't have a rucksack. The amount of kids who can't carry a holdall style bag with there kit in because of the inbalance is large. Pack it properly in a rucksack properly and pretty much all will be fine.

Thanks
    But what about the amount of cubs & scouts that end up with really poor quality rucksacks that are completely useless! I would rather they have a cheap sports bag on static camps & then use our stock of decent backpacking rucksacks when they hike.

And teaching people to pack a rucksack 'properly' is pretty much impossible. All the old advice about heavy stuff at the top, or heavy stuff at the bottom, or heavy stuff in the middle is just outdated. A rucksack should be packed so that items come to hand when they are needed, not according to mass!

Having said that, if a cub or scout has a decent rucksack then of course there is no problem with it being taken on camps, after all it is just a bag with strange straps & an impractical opening!

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainboy View Post
    But what about the amount of cubs & scouts that end up with really poor quality rucksacks that are completely useless! I would rather they have a cheap sports bag on static camps & then use our stock of decent backpacking rucksacks when they hike.

And teaching people to pack a rucksack 'properly' is pretty much impossible. All the old advice about heavy stuff at the top, or heavy stuff at the bottom, or heavy stuff in the middle is just outdated. A rucksack should be packed so that items come to hand when they are needed, not according to mass!

Having said that, if a cub or scout has a decent rucksack then of course there is no problem with it being taken on camps, after all it is just a bag with strange straps & an impractical opening!
    This is why I happily advise all our parents about rucsacks for each Cub and we we work closely with a local independent retailer who will get the rucsacs we want. All the Cubs have rucksacks, all seem to pack them the way I have taught them to and none have any trouble carrying them.

The trick is getting 'mummy' and their child to pack only what their child needs, you see so many 'mums' sending their kids to camp with whole wardrobes. With more clothing than they will wear.