Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media Coverage over the last couple of days

Thanks

Media Coverage over the last couple of days

Has anyone seen any of the positive media coverage the scout association has had over the last few days?

Has been in a number of pages over how "scouting is becoming cool again", numbers are up.

Real Radio Yorkshire spent about a hour doing a phone in, about memories of being in scouts/guides and what badges you got. Presenter was a ex scout. It was all very positive.
    Daniel

Explorer Scout Leader | Group Trustee
    4th Huddersfield Golcar Scout Group
    4thgolcar.org.uk
    District Media Development Manager
    Huddersfield South West
    hswscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    No, not seen anything, but, haven't really been looking, I must admit.

Do you have any links to the things you mentioned?
    Roy Peach
    ABSL & ACSL - 10th Oxford (Marston) Scout Group
    "I'm only smiling because I don't know what's going on!"
    www.thetenth.org

Thanks
    Thanks for the link. Good to have something positive going out in the media for a change
    Roy Peach
    ABSL & ACSL - 10th Oxford (Marston) Scout Group
    "I'm only smiling because I don't know what's going on!"
    www.thetenth.org

Thanks
    The Sun ran a half page article today 22nd. Makes a change to see something positive.

Thanks
    PD was on Radio 5 yesterday talking about it. Have several local papers hopefully including something this week.
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Mayfield, Staffordshire, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    The Mail, or poss Express was going on about how street sports has pushed more traditional things out like map reading but on the whole quite positive.
    GSL 1st Mayfield Scout Group
    And general dogsbody

Ecamp 2008/2009

Thanks
    Was speaking to some parents at school drop off this morning and one told me it's been in the news over the last few days that the numbers in Scouting in the UK is up 15% this year.

I even had one parent overhear our conversation and ask if her daughter could join the Scouts ASAP.

Bring It On !

Thanks
    Thanked 3,354 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GordyC View Post
    Was speaking to some parents at school drop off this morning and one told me it's been in the news over the last few days that the numbers in Scouting in the UK is up 15% this year.

I even had one parent overhear our conversation and ask if her daughter could join the Scouts ASAP.

Bring It On !
    it's funny, we've never had a problem with numbers in our group (If we have a space, it's filled immediately... apart from scouts where you have to work a bit harder to keep them) but groups have struggled locally. The reasons for their problems are obvious... uninspiring leaders and naff programs.

Nothing has changed... we are still packed and still running cool stuff. Some other groups still run naff programs. So... when the kids join those groups expecting skateboarding, international adventure and camps every week...( see blue peter, newsround, newspaper articles ad nauseam) the will actually be presented with humourless leaders running crap programs and they'll be off in a shot...

NB, edit: there are a good number of large groups locally running cool programs... we're not the only one! but there are a decent number of crap ones too

*** Edit...

my point was to have a go at boring leaders who run tedious programs... the sort who have 6 kids each week but a potential intake of 12/year from cubs. The sort of leaders who repel kids, whose programs turn them off and don't excite them... i know some near me... i (hand on heart) could not name one on escouts... but i bet we all know those leaders who are local to us... and when the kids join having seen all the cool stuff... how long will they stay? half a meeting?
    Last edited by big chris; 23-04-2008 at 09:49 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 810 Posts
    it is always nice to see a bit of good media coverage fr Scouting, especially if it is actually accurate for once instead of the stupid and inaccurate stuff I usually see printed about Scouts.

Our numbers have always fluctuated sometimes we have 30 in the Troop others we have 10. We struggled for a few years as the area around where we meet (Headingley) became almost exclusively populated by Students with very few families but that appears to be changing. Plus a lot of the Groups in the more family populated areas of Leeds have filled up especially at Beaver age so Parents are prepared to drive them further to find a good Group with spaces.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    when the kids join having seen all the cool stuff... how long will they stay? half a meeting?
    You've raised a good point Chris-Like most things-Scouting is only as strong as the weakest link(s) but of course the kids have to be a bit realistic...this coverage is great but it won't be abseiling/ gokarting/ inflatables/ camping every week, there will be "boring" things like map reading skills which are actually needed for some of the cool stuff. And of course one kids boring evening is another's idea of fun.
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Lill View Post
    You've raised a good point Chris-Like most things-Scouting is only as strong as the weakest link(s) but of course the kids have to be a bit realistic...this coverage is great but it won't be abseiling/ gokarting/ inflatables/ camping every week, there will be "boring" things like map reading skills which are actually needed for some of the cool stuff. And of course one kids boring evening is another's idea of fun.
    Totally - map reading skills lead to hikes, hillwalk, incident hikes etc. Knots lead to pioneering which leads to rafting, gateways, zip lines, monkey bridges and all kinds of gadgets at camp. Its how the boring stuff is made interesting (does that make sense?).

Thanks
    I DON'T ADAM AND EVE IT!

Just went to nursery pick-up and had a mum ask if it was Scouting I was talking about earlier to another parent. She then goes on to tell me that she was previously a Scout Leader in another area and is looking to help out at our Scout Troop - we're looking for a female leader for girls that will be Moving On this summer!

Carlsberg to don't nursery / school runs, but if they did, it'd probably be..........

Bring It On ! (X2)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,354 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Totally - map reading skills lead to hikes, hillwalk, incident hikes etc. Knots lead to pioneering which leads to rafting, gateways, zip lines, monkey bridges and all kinds of gadgets at camp. Its how the boring stuff is made interesting (does that make sense?).
    should they 'lead to' or should they be 'part of'?

i have only ever taught kids to map read successfully when on a hike with them, I have only ever learned a knot that i have needed... i can't tie a bowline, or a sheet bend... i'm a queen's scout! but i have never needed them

i am increasingly doing less and less theoretical stuff... even when there is an event coming up v soon... i am starting to see explorers as the place where they can get their map reading skills etc... scouts is where they learn to cope with being away from home and camp. Much of what i do with the scouts is tasters. It's not ideal... but if i can get an 8 year progressive training scheme in place... then i'll be rather pleased with myself...

I admire leaders whose kids do expeditions and d of e style hikes. I met some young scouts on top of one of the yorkshire 3 peaks last year (whernside? which is the flattish topped one?) and they were remarkably secure on the hill... I would love to do that with my scouts

my scouts get very lost on the simplest of hikes. i don't have the time or the help to set 5 patrols off with an adult/YL who will show them how to use a map and compass. (Or not enough who can use a map themselves!)... It means that i concentrate on other areas of scouting... teamwork, leadership, friendship... i give them tasters of things... when you are based in a suburb of SE london... hills are a day away... (it's 2 days travelling there and back just to see a craggy outcrop) so we do hikes around the fields and footpaths of kent... but it's not inspirational stuff...

But... having said all that... I do play some map games each year... to get them halfway familiar with using a legend and that sort of thing... but i am an utter failure when it comes to some outdoors skills... On the other hand... my PLs camped below freezing with just some tarp, knives, axes and saws... but that was all about the practical... am rambling terribly... don;t wanna start my work properly...

i think my point was this: if you are in a scout hut on a dark winters night, you have a choice... teach them how to read a map (and they'll forget by the time they need it) or teach them to get on, help each other and be a patrol.. so when they get out in the woods, they will not fall to pieces and hate each other...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    should they 'lead to' or should they be 'part of'?
    Both. It's part of how I teach them the "boring stuff". I'll show them how to do something, let them try it themselves with assistance, and then they try it on their own until they become confident with it. This can be in the hall, out on a hill, or on camp when doing pioneering.

I make sure that the stuff they are being taught is relevant at the time. For example, this weekend they're doing a hike supervised by Explorers. This week's meeting we completed the Route Card. On the hike they will use the Route Card with bearings etc. Next hike I'll take more of a back seat with the Route Card.

We're also going traditional rafting next month, so they've been practicing knots in the hall along with lashings. They've designed their own raft using staves to start, but next month it'll be full size pioneering poles and barrels.

This way I see them becoming more self sufficient and bonding together as Patrols. They know that as individuals some tasks are not possible, they can only be achieved through teamwork.

This is because of the time of year - lots of camps and activities coming.

As to winter, yes more fun with each other, less theory! However, me thinks this is going off at a tangent!

Thanks
    me thinks this is going off at a tangent!
    Yeah, but you've gotta mention your luck! Back on track-a piece in the Telegraph suggests kiddy numbers are up by 3.7%, but predictably adult numbers are up by only 1.7%
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/