View Poll Results: What type of camping do you do with your section?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hosteling (youth and scout hostels)

23 16.55%
  • Scout Campsites (or other organised campsites)

123 88.49%
  • Green Field

55 39.57%
  • Expeditions

35 25.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What type of camping do you do?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts

What type of camping do you do?

We have at least 2 hostel trips a year and 2 green field camps a year
    Last edited by shiftypete; 03-05-2008 at 06:53 PM.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Grey but not that old Alfbranch's Avatar
    Thanks
    A mix it depends on what permits I get from teh boss.
    I have yet to do green field camping I almost did last year but I was outvoted by the other troops who were coming.
    Alf

Group Scout leader 1st Hensingham Scouts Western Lakes District
    http://www.hensinghamscouts.org.uk/
    Knives made by me

Only use sharp knives. Blunt knives are more dangerous.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts
    sometimes we camp under tarps, sometimes we camp in bunk beds at hostels... sometimes we dig bog pits, sometimes we spend a weekend at alton towers...

the one we don't do is expeditions... i've just not got that sorted yet

Thanks
    Bit of a mixture - everything from indoors to bivvy bags. A fair bit of green field but my absolute favorite is where it's just you in a field with your sleeping bag. Something special about waking up looking at the stars.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by salley View Post
    my absolute favorite is where it's just you in a field with your sleeping bag. Something special about waking up looking at the stars.
    and soaking wet?

Thanks
    A mix of everything really, including usually going abroad somewhere every other year (either one we do ourselves or something with District)
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

nele
    Thanks
    Havent done any greenfield camping with my scouts. Used to with Guides years ago, and have done with family. None of our leaders have a greenfield permit and were told we couldnt apply for one as there arent any suitable sites around.

Youth hostelling might be an idea, but we can't get group membership of Belgian YHA because we're a British group not an official Belgian one.. and cant join British YHA because our address is overseas. So each scout would have to join as an individual. Also, having hostelled with family and other groups, they mix adults/young people over 12 in the dormatories, so not sure how that would work.

Thanks
    Cubs always do three camps a year - one indoors to a centre such as Lochgoilhead or similar, two at Scout Campsites.

Scouts do three main camps a year plus a patrol camp each year along with expeditions. So the Troop goes camping, usually always to a Scout Campsite three times a year, expeditions organised by age - e.g. level 1 expedition (for those just moved up from Cubs, Level 4 for those moving on to Explorers etc), and each patrol camps in a green field site at some point during the year - sometimes more than one patrol camps at the same weekend at a different site.

Then we have the Group Summer Camp which is always held at a greenfield site somewhere, but usually one with some facilities nearby - e.g. last year we camped near Newton Stewart in Galloway, and had use of the farmer's outbuilding for wet weather activities etc.

Lots of camping!!

Bob

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nele View Post
    Youth hostelling might be an idea, but we can't get group membership of Belgian YHA because we're a British group not an official Belgian one.. and cant join British YHA because our address is overseas. So each scout would have to join as an individual. Also, having hostelled with family and other groups, they mix adults/young people over 12 in the dormatories, so not sure how that would work.
    curious... worth investigating that one

I know that when i have the cash i will join the scottish YHA as a life member... I live in england but can join them... life membership in the english one: £210 and only £80 in the scots one...

it would cost you a tenner to join as a group

http://www.syha.org.uk/SYHA/Web/Site...membership.asp

NB the small print: Membership is open to people of all ages, nationalities and countries of residence.

nele
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    curious... worth investigating that one

I know that when i have the cash i will join the scottish YHA as a life member... I live in england but can join them... life membership in the english one: £210 and only £80 in the scots one...

it would cost you a tenner to join as a group

http://www.syha.org.uk/SYHA/Web/Site...membership.asp

NB the small print: Membership is open to people of all ages, nationalities and countries of residence.
    Thanks for pointing this out. Apparently things have changed and people in EC countries can get a UK YHA group card, (for £10) which used not to be the case. I shall look into it for next winter season.

Thanks
    We tend to aim for 15 Nights-Away per year with the cubs, 2 of which will be indooors [the December sleepover], 7 nights as a "main" summer camp [static camping] , and normally 3/4 other weekend camps [mixed, some static, some lightweight camping] during the year.

Then add on a group camp, and a sixers+seconders camp...

I've never done true green field with cubs, you've got to leave something for the scouts to introduce them to....

Thanks
    mainly under tents at scouting campsites, just come back from phasels
    Derek Chambers,

Mayfield, Staffordshire, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeGH View Post
    We tend to aim for 15 Nights-Away per year with the cubs, 2 of which will be indooors [the December sleepover], 7 nights as a "main" summer camp [static camping] , and normally 3/4 other weekend camps [mixed, some static, some lightweight camping] during the year.

Then add on a group camp, and a sixers+seconders camp...

I've never done true green field with cubs, you've got to leave something for the scouts to introduce them to....
    ****** hell!!!!
    I have just been informed by my store manager that I need to cut down on the Saturday nights I have booked off as holiday - I have 4 booked off this year for camping - there's no way I could manage all that!!!How lucky are your Cubs?! I hope they appreciate it.
    GSL 1st Mayfield Scout Group
    And general dogsbody

Ecamp 2008/2009

Account Closed
    Thanks
    We try and do 15 - 20 nights camping with our Cubs each year. I personally could happily camp every night of the year. We camp mainly on Scout Campsites, as someone said earlier we leave greenfield camping for when they go to Scouts. After all they have to do something new when they go up, also I don't do camping unless there is a proper toilet about. On the odd occassion we do a greenfield camp at our GSL's place which is has a huge field and swimming pool.

Thanks
    We generally take our cubs camping six times a year. Two in the fall and one in the winter, usually inside the lodges at a Scout Camp. One in the spring at a Provincial campground in tents, an end of year area wide Cuboree in tents at our local Scout camp and a week long camp in the summer at a Provincial or National park.
    Akela - 6th Burlington Cub Pack

www.6thburlingtoncubs.org